Teen Jokes About His Drunken Hit-and-Run on Facebook, Gets Busted by Cops

I thought better of you Fishmonger. I lost my cousin to a drunk driver, he was like my brother. I actually live in his room now. I was going through his stuff the other day and found an essay on drunk driving that his teacher had noted as one of the best she ever read. Too bad the woman that killed him didn't read it. It was 9 years ago last week I believe.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not a big deal until it hits you in the hardest way. I'd give anything to have him back, there was a lot I had to learn from him. It's not just the person who's behind the wheel that it affects. Remember that.

I thought better of you Fishmonger. I lost my cousin to a drunk driver, he was like my brother. I actually live in his room now. I was going through his stuff the other day and found an essay on drunk driving that his teacher had noted as one of the best she ever read. Too bad the woman that killed him didn't read it. It was 9 years ago last week I believe.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not a big deal until it hits you in the hardest way. I'd give anything to have him back, there was a lot I had to learn from him. It's not just the person who's behind the wheel that it affects. Remember that.

Dude, I'm not discounting, overlooking, or disrespecting any of what you said. That is beyond terrible. I express my most sincere condolences.

Clam made a sweeping generalization about how drinking and driving is self-centered and scumbaggish. I don't think it always is.

"generalizing"

What the hell?
You're drinking and driving.
This is probably one of the few cases in which generalization is completely justified.
It's a scumbag move, the end.

Know how I know you're an alcoholic?

You're being presumptuous. Moreover, I don't think drinking and driving is always a scumbag move and/or self-centered.

Are you really going to defend drunk driving as a good thing to do? Regardless of whether that makes you self centered or a scumbag, it's not smart, safe, or worth it.

I never said it was a "good thing" or have defended it in such regard. That's blatantly erroneous and false accusations.

My dispute is solely on Clam's claim that drinking and driving is self-centered and scumbaggish. I don't think it always is either one of those traits.

Dude, I'm not discounting, overlooking, or disrespecting any of what you said. That is beyond terrible. I express my most sincere condolences.

Clam made a sweeping generalization about how drinking and driving is self-centered and scumbaggish. I don't think it always is.

I just don't see how it's not selfish. Unless you're driving someone unconscious to the ER because the ambulances aren't available. I just can't find any justification for it.

self-centered is the only reason. There might be other reasons that compound this, but the minute one knowingly operates a vehicle drunk instead of making backup plans, staying the night or calling a cab, they have made a selfish decision. This kind of person, who would sacrifice the safety and lives of others for the convenience of driving their own car home, saving cab fare, or not having to sleep on a couch, is by virtue of this decision weighed against the danger such action entails, a scumbag. period.

No, self-centered is not the only reason. You are being close-minded and not acknowledging/realizing/etc. most if not all possibilities involved in drinking and driving scenarios.

Example:
Suppose, person A is leaving a party or bar. S/he notices a friend, person B, who is stranded for whatever reason and needs shelter. Person B has no means of leaving the current location. Person A is drunk, but offers to drive person B wherever so that person B is able to have shelter.

Evidently, the aforesaid example it not self-centered. Moreover, it is an act of selflessness and friendship. Regardless of whether or not person B were to accept the offer, person A is acting as both a friend source of help. It is person B's choice to decide whether or not to enter the car with person A, no matter how drunk. Drinking and driving is not always self-centered and scumbaggish.

It's a relative statement, sure. Driving a car impaired is more dangerous than driving one completely sober. This is an undeniable fact and has been proven and demonstrated time and time again. Certainly, there are other things which may endanger lives, including driving a car sober, operating a chainsaw, piloting a bus full of passengers. coincidentally, all of these things are made MORE dangerous by doing them drunk. This in no way invalidates the contention that drinking and driving endangers lives - and more to the point, it does so unnecessarily. An argument can be made for the necessity of driving a vehicle, operating a chain saw or driving a bus (sober), which can't be made for doing these things drunk. Nobody needs to drive drunk. To do so is to disregard the safety of others, and therefore is a self-centered, life-endangering decision.

I never said that it did not invalidate the claim that drinking and driving endangers lives. I was merely emphasizing how the "endangering of lives" is present in most scenarios, regardless of the involvement of alcohol. Drinking can driving can endanger lives. I don't think that it always does.

The focus should be on the individual. Meaning, is the person actually to drive well? How much did the person drink? And so on.

The term "drinking and driving" clearly applies to impaired driving. We aren't taking apple juice, and we aren't talking about driving after sipping a few ounces of lite beer. The concept, as it exists around the world in common parlance and legal doctrine, is abundantly clear.

Your implementation of the law as a source of authority on such a matter has its own flaws, but that's a different subject. The law is not always right. There most definitely should be a limit for how much alcohol can be consumed in order to drive; however, that doesn't mean that the current actual allowed amount is correct. You're wandering into an area that opens floodgates for all sorts of interrelated discussions that pertain to the law instead of concentrating on the original topic about scumbag and self-centered.

Self-centered, or perhaps more accurately, disregarding the rights and safety of others, is the only reason someone might drink and drive.

Given the often-demonstrated fact that impaired driving increases likelihood of injury and/or death, and given the fact that the decision to engage in such dangerous activity is - but for extreme, hypothetical cases- an unnecessary, personal choice based on a failure to plan, desire to save money, or attempt at avoiding an overnight stay away from home, the contention that a person who engages in this decision is self-centered and a scumbag, is a demonstrable fact, and not an opinion.

Again, I don't think drinking and driving is always scumbaggish and self-centered. Additionally, the act of drinking and driving endangers lives to a degree; however the acts of a shitty driver also endangers lives. It's not so simplistic as you make it seem. There are degrees of drunkenness. It's not as if someone is either driving blacked out drunk or entirely sober. The possibility of endangering lives is always present, whether it is during the act of drinking and driving or the act of driving sober. The difference is that the possibility is more often than not increased when someone is drinking and driver.

I just don't see how it's not selfish. Unless you're driving someone unconscious to the ER because the ambulances aren't available. I just can't find any justification for it.

I don't know man. I understand and respect your opinion. I think drinking and driving is probably selfish more often than not, but I also think that there are scenarios when selfishness is not the or a reason for drinking and driving.

I remember a few years ago my friend drove home from a party after work. He said he didnt remember a second of the journey, parked the car up perfect. Horseshoe up his ass

I remember a few years ago my friend drove home from a party after work. He said he didnt remember a second of the journey, parked the car up perfect. Horseshoe up his ass

Correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds as if you friend was blacked out. That's one of the scariest scenarios for drinking and driving.

God, Kids get more and more annoying with each generation.

What a numbskull.

FB is cool for keeping up with friends and family, but other than that it's such a pretentious form of entertainment.

No, self-centered is not the only reason. You are being close-minded and not acknowledging/realizing/etc. most if not all possibilities involved in drinking and driving scenarios.

Example:
Suppose, person A is leaving a party or bar. S/he notices a friend, person B, who is stranded for whatever reason and needs shelter. Person B has no means of leaving the current location. Person A is drunk, but offers to drive person B wherever so that person B is able to have shelter.

Evidently, the aforesaid example it not self-centered. Moreover, it is an act of selflessness and friendship. Regardless of whether or not person B were to accept the offer, person A is acting as both a friend source of help. It is person B's choice to decide whether or not to enter the car with person A, no matter how drunk. Drinking and driving is not always self-centered and scumbaggish.

Self-centeredness, or failing to take into account the dangers to others from your actions, is still the root of the action. My personal desire to help someone who has either insufficiently planned their own ride home, or has a plan fall through, is still a decision wherein I weigh the value I place on getting a friend shelter against the acknowledged danger of driving drunk. These examples you bring up are merely compounding reasons, as I suggested.

I fully acknowledge that there are many such circumstances at play when someone decides to drink and drive, and also I acknowledge that being drunk itself is a compounding reality on the decision one makes to drive drunk. It is nonetheless still true that the basic dynamic of this choice is one in which potential harm to others - not to mention harm against yourself - is weighed against a desire to drive drunk, for whatever reason this may be important. When the decision is made to drive drunk, it is made for personal reasons by the driver, therefore, it is selfish.

I never said that it did not invalidate the claim that drinking and driving endangers lives. I was merely emphasizing how the "endangering of lives" is present in most scenarios, regardless of the involvement of alcohol. Drinking can driving can endanger lives. I don't think that it always does.

Yes, but what is the thrust of this argument then? Drinking and driving is MORE dangerous than is driving sober, and is also the result of a choice to do so. The fact that driving sober is potentially dangerous is completely unrelated to this point. As I tried to suggest in my first post, many things are dangerous, such as operating a chainsaw, or driving a bus full of children. This fact alone does not give one license to do these things more dangerously by getting drunk.

The focus should be on the individual. Meaning, is the person actually to drive well? How much did the person drink? And so on.

It is, to the extent that we can fairly execute this decision, by use of breathalyzers, sobriety tests and blood tests.

Your implementation of the law as a source of authority on such a matter has its own flaws, but that's a different subject. The law is not always right. There most definitely should be a limit for how much alcohol can be consumed in order to drive; however, that doesn't mean that the current actual allowed amount is correct. You're wandering into an area that opens floodgates for all sorts of interrelated discussions that pertain to the law instead of concentrating on the original topic about scumbag and self-centered.

My point is that self-centered relates to a disregard for the rights to safety of others. I mentioned the law because you challenged the definition of drunk driving. I also mentioned common parlance. The law is not perfect, but its spirit is for the protection of the public from drunk drivers, which was really the only point I was making there. Disregarding public safety, as reflected in common sense notions of justice and the laws that exist against drunk driving, is a selfish decision.

Again, I don't think drinking and driving is always scumbaggish and self-centered. Additionally, the act of drinking and driving endangers lives to a degree; however the acts of a shitty driver also endangers lives. It's not so simplistic as you make it seem. There are degrees of drunkenness. It's not as if someone is either driving blacked out drunk or entirely sober. The possibility of endangering lives is always present, whether it is during the act of drinking and driving or the act of driving sober. The difference is that the possibility is more often than not increased when someone is drinking and driver.

Maybe this is one of the grey areas you warned against earlier, but I think its a fair point to make: society has a need for specific anti-drunk-driving laws. These laws absolutely reduce accidents and fatalities overall. Though the articulation of them might be a bit clumsy, they are necessary. We have laws now which set established limits for drunkenness as related to blood alcohol or breathalyzer results which are averaged across humankind. Sure, its a bit unfair for my blood alcohol level to be compared directly against a 47-year old, 95 pound female teetotaler, but what is the alternative?

I also don't think it's true that a potential drunk driver should be trusted in his appraisal of his driving abilities. What is a "fair" level of inebriation for a really skilled driver who can also really hold his booze? Given that, by your own admission, drinking and driving increases the possibility of endangering lives, drinking to the extent that this is a factor is a selfish, scummbagish approach to the world - and it is known that it is a factor at even relatively low levels.

Person A could also call a fucking cab for person B or find/call someone who isnt fucked up for a ride.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds as if you friend was blacked out. That's one of the scariest scenarios for drinking and driving.

Yeah I know. He woke up dying with a hangover as you would expect, then thought oh shit the car! Was a company car too. Couldnt believe when he went downstairs and saw it parked outside on the street. I remember when he told me he was all quiet and bright red. Parallel parked like a boss

Self-centeredness, or failing to take into account the dangers to others from your actions, is still the root of the action. My personal desire to help someone who has either insufficiently planned their own ride home, or has a plan fall through, is still a decision wherein I weigh the value I place on getting a friend shelter against the acknowledged danger of driving drunk. These examples you bring up are merely compounding reasons, as I suggested.

It's really not self-centered. Perhaps, you ought to define what you think "self-centered" is. Suppose person A takes that all that into account when offering a ride? There doesn't have to be a personal desire to help someone. A person can help someone else because of duty or other reasons besides desire. You didn't prove at all how self-centered is at the root of the scenario for person A. Moreover, if the paragraph above is your attempt, you failed to prove how self-centeredness is the basis.

I fully acknowledge that there are many such circumstances at play when someone decides to drink and drive, and also I acknowledge that being drunk itself is a compounding reality on the decision one makes to drive drunk. It is nonetheless still true that the basic dynamic of this choice is one in which potential harm to others - not to mention harm against yourself - is weighed against a desire to drive drunk, for whatever reason this may be important. When the decision is made to drive drunk, it is made for personal reasons by the driver, therefore, it is selfish.

The mere act of being drunk does not result in harm to oneself or someone else. There is always the possibility of harm, but that's not out of the ordinary. If anything, the likelihood of harm can be increased. I don't think it's selfish to drive drunk necessarily. Selfishness entails only caring for oneself, interests, etc. A drunk driver is not compelled to solely think about himself/herself and his/her motives, interests, and so on. It depends upon the reasoning that determines a driver's mindset, whether it be selfish or not. You're asserting that there is only one reason, self-centeredness.

Also, it's not always personal reasons. The example I described disproves how it is "only personal reasons." I mentioned already mentioned that in the paragraph above.

Yes, but what is the thrust of this argument then? Drinking and driving is MORE dangerous than is driving sober, and is also the result of a choice to do so. The fact that driving sober is potentially dangerous is completely unrelated to this point. As I tried to suggest in my first post, many things are dangerous, such as operating a chainsaw, or driving a bus full of children. This fact alone does not give one license to do these things more dangerously by getting drunk.

More often than not, drinking and driving more dangerous than driving sober. To say it always is, or phrase it so absolutely as you did, is false. Indeed, it is a choice to drink and drive. Most decisions and actions in life involve choice. I never said anything close to "giving one license to do these things..." My response was merely to oppose your support to your thesis how "drinking and driving is self-centered."

It is, to the extent that we can fairly execute this decision, by use of breathalyzers, sobriety tests and blood tests.

My point is that self-centered relates to a disregard for the rights to safety of others. I mentioned the law because you challenged the definition of drunk driving. I also mentioned common parlance. The law is not perfect, but its spirit is for the protection of the public from drunk drivers, which was really the only point I was making there. Disregarding public safety, as reflected in common sense notions of justice and the laws that exist against drunk driving, is a selfish decision.

Execute what decision? You ought to be more specific with that statement. What if one factors of all what you stated such as "the rights to safety of others" and so on, yet still drives? Are you implying that someone can still account for all of that and choose to drive anyways? That's not necessarily disregarding safety for others or oneself no more than it is if someone is a shitty driver, who often causes accidents, deciding to drive. Again, it's not necessarily selfish to drive drunk. You're assuming that your claim is true and proceeding from there, instead of proving that it's selfish, then establishing it to be true.

Of course, the law is established to protect people from both potential and actual harm against drinking and driving caused incidents; however, it doesn't necessarily mean that the law is right in its actual application or execution of that idea. I've already stated how I support the notion of laws against drinking and driving.
You're completely ignoring the levels of drunkenness as I've stated multiple times, which is a major component to drinking and driving and the consequences of such activities.

Maybe this is one of the grey areas you warned against earlier, but I think its a fair point to make: society has a need for specific anti-drunk-driving laws. These laws absolutely reduce accidents and fatalities overall. Though the articulation of them might be a bit clumsy, they are necessary. We have laws now which set established limits for drunkenness as related to blood alcohol or breathalyzer results which are averaged across humankind. Sure, its a bit unfair for my blood alcohol level to be compared directly against a 47-year old, 95 pound female teetotaler, but what is the alternative?

Again, you're going off the original subject and segueing into another one. The law has its purpose and is effective. I didn't dispute either of those claims; however, the actual application of the law can be questioned. There are plenty of alternatives. In the U.S. for instance, the U.S. federal and/or state governments could greatly develop public transportation so that public transportation is the common and rational means for traveling. Unlike western Europe, the U.S.' public transportation is pretty fucking shitty overall.

I also don't think it's true that a potential drunk driver should be trusted in his appraisal of his driving abilities. What is a "fair" level of inebriation for a really skilled driver who can also really hold his booze? Given that, by your own admission, drinking and driving increases the possibility of endangering lives, drinking to the extent that this is a factor is a selfish, scummbagish approach to the world - and it is known that it is a factor at even relatively low levels.

Why are you even mentioning appraisal? I spoke nothing of that sort. I am insisting how the levels of drunkenness and degree of blood alcohol content vitally matter because they are defining differences between individuals. You're attempting to unjustly and erroneously confine my response into a fabricated and limited view. It depends on the blood alcohol content, tolerance, driving skills, etc. of the individual. The law merely attempts to enforce a general standard for the masses. "By my own admission?" I have stated multiple times how I think drinking and drinking often heightens the possibility endangering lives. It's not always the case that it does. It's not a scumbaggish and self-centered approach. It can be of that type, but it does not have to be. Moreover, it is not always scumbaggish and self-centered. You still haven't proven why your claim about "drinking and driving is scumbaggish and self-centered" might be be true. It's your opinion. Mine is different than yours.

Last edited:
Back