Crime Teen arrested for hate crime for racist joke

This is one of those stories where the outcome should upset me in theory but the details of said story have me not giving a single fvck. Sucks to be that kid. The moral lesson IMO? Be a good person.

you can’t shrug at injustice. It was a joke.

They don't call this place sherfront for nothing. What the kid did is considered cyberbullying which is a crime in many states but for obvious reasons a lot of posters seem to just skip over that.
Cyber bullying is a brand new leftist dipshit law.

made so they can slippery slope their way to shit like this

No, it isn't.

So what do you consider a suitable response by the school? A week in detention?

Just for one second try to place yourself in the shoes of the victim. Not only is your existence and history being mocked for the sake of a "joke" but it also creates a climate of hostility for any other minorities at the school. Not to mention the compassionate white students who would also feel deeply offended by this.

All the pushback to stories like this come from trolls who believe their right to offend supersedes the victims' grievances. All they're asking is to go about their day without being mocked. Is that too much to ask?

And this is why comedy is dying.

The intent was clearly to harass. Nobody jokes about that kind of shit unless they have it in for someone, and we all know it.

I'm not a proponent of hate speech laws, but I wouldn't have been mad at this kid copping a charge for harassment.

Why are people so mean to these racists? It's just bigoted against racists. So much for the tolerant left.

Do you have a better source, do you have other information to add? Please share if you do...
That shitmonger never has any information to add. He has that one gif of the girl laughing. That's it.

Is this punishment the same as when the only white kid in a school gets the shit beat out of them everyday because of it? If it is I have no issue with the punishment. If it isn't spare me the fake anti racism bullshit grandstanding.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-charged-hate-crime-posting-slave-sale-ad/story?id=67173638

This is how fascist authoritarianism starts.

someone’s feeling were hurt? Charge them with a hate crime and sentence them to 50 years in jail.

ruin their lives forever.

and if the roles were reversed, no such crime.
and everyone would say “take a joke”.

I think the issue is more with posting a photo of a minor online without permission than the offensive beliefs.

But of course that's what the court system is for. The police made an arrest. It can't be undone. Let's see what the Prosecutors do and what the Judges decide.

What he did fits the Illinois Penal Code 720 ILCS 5/12-7.1 for Hate Crimes pretty well.

(a) A person commits hate crime when, by reason of the actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or national origin of another individual or group of individuals, regardless of the existence of any other motivating factor or factors, he or she commits assault, battery, aggravated assault, intimidation, stalking, cyberstalking, misdemeanor theft, criminal trespass to residence, misdemeanor criminal damage to property, criminal trespass to vehicle, criminal trespass to real property, mob action, disorderly conduct, transmission of obscene messages, harassment by telephone, or harassment through electronic communications as these crimes are defined in Sections 12-1, 12-2, 12-3(a), 12-7.3, 12-7.5, 16-1, 19-4, 21-1, 21-2, 21-3, 25-1, 26-1, 26.5-1, 26.5-2, paragraphs (a)(1), (a)(2), and (a)(3) of Section 12-6, and paragraphs (a)(2) and (a)(5) of Section 26.5-3 of this Code, respectively.

(720 ILCS 5/26-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 26-1)
(Text of Section before amendment by P.A. 101-238)
Sec. 26-1. Disorderly conduct.
(a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he or she knowingly:
(1) Does any act in such unreasonable manner as to

alarm or disturb another and to provoke a breach of the peace;

Kid should not be arrested but send him to do some community work in a black neighberhood.

Also get slapped.

then all jokes become harassment. We can’t have that be the case
Well.. he aimed to a particular student. We would need to know if they had a good relationship or maybe the kid was picking/bullying the other guy.
Is not like it was a general joke.

Kid should not be arrested but send him to do some community work in a black neighberhood.

Also get slapped.

Well.. he aimed to a particular student. We would need to know if they had a good relationship or maybe the kid was picking/bullying the other guy.
Is not like it was a general joke.

Careful.....around here that kind of sounds like wishing violence on someone.

I got in trouble for the same thing in the past.

Should send the kid to scared straight where he can comb some big dude's chest hair.

This is the definition of play stupid games win stupid prizes.

you can’t shrug at injustice. It was a joke.

Posting a picture of a black kid along with the words, "Slave for sale." can't be defended as a mere joke. The fact that you keep saying it was just a joke is strong evidence of your lack of basic human empathy or racist beliefs. The kid that did it is clearly a racist who wanted to torment and utterly humiliate the other kid and he went too far. Should the police be involved? Of course not but the school and parents should be handling the situation and a harsh punishment is definitely in order. Calling it a joke to be dismissed as no big deal is only the position of the ignorant. Oddly enough, this happened in the same town that recently had the incident at the Buffalo Wild Wings where the staff asked a black family to move because a regular white customer didn't want any black people sitting close to his table.

unfortunately someone feeling bad does not a crime make. Now if the kid was doing it constantly and giving out the guy's phone number etc then bam not problem with a harassment charge. A joke, no matter in how poor taste it is, should not be a crime.
Have you seen the actual ad? Know the history between these two kids? It could very well be harassment; the ad could have the kid’s address, number, etc.

Without the fine details it’s hard to have such a strong opinion on this in my opinion.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-charged-hate-crime-posting-slave-sale-ad/story?id=67173638

This is how fascist authoritarianism starts.

someone’s feeling were hurt? Charge them with a hate crime and sentence them to 50 years in jail.

ruin their lives forever.

and if the roles were reversed, no such crime.
and everyone would say “take a joke”.

That is insane. I would expect this in Europe, but it is very troubling to hear things like this happening in the United States. The most that should happen is the post is removed and he's banned from cragislist.

Back