Teddy Atlas

I hate a hometown decision but for just a few minutes, I love them when Atlas is commentating.

He will eventually stroke out on air because of a bad desision.

Not only are the matchups pathetic, trying to listen to Teddy Atlas drone on for two hours is unbearable even for hardcore fans. Hearing his broken record collection of lines, along with his negative, no-fun approach makes me realize why all the fighters he trained turned into nut jobs.

The big name fighters he trained were already nut jobs. Tyson and Moorer were crazy before Teddy got involved. Sure teddy says the same thing over and over becuase most boxer's make the same mistakes over and over and over and over and over...

I dont know if anyone has the latest version of the Ring Magazene. But this is what some dude wrong on the Mail Bag section about Teddy and ESPN 2 FIght nights.

"ESPN2's Boxing coverage must be driving away fans by the boatload. Not only are the matchups pathetic, trying to listen to Teddy Atlas drone on for two hours is unbearable even for hardcore fans. Hearing his broken record collection of lines, along with his negative, no-fun approach makes me realize why all the fighters he trained turned into nut jobs. SOmeone needs to remind this guy its suppose to be entertainment for viewers. He makes it more miserable than a hot day in Gleasons Gym. Call me when Atlas is gone. Then at least I can watch crappy fights with the sound on again. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading the best boxing magazine out there, the one and only RING MAGAZINE"
RORY STEELE

I dont know what this guy is talking about. I seen plenty of exciting upsets and knockouts on ESPN Friday Night Fights all year. And I think, as I already said, Teddy is great. But thought that there would be interesting.

I have to disagree with that writer. Teddy does have some fun in his approach, but he's not afriad to call a bad fight a bad fight.

Atlas is ok... He likes to point out everytime he was right though. That's a little annoying to me. I mean, he's a smart boxing commentator. No need to point out when you're right. Let others do it for you.

This thread has me rolling with the Lennox Lewis stuff.

Listening to teddy Atlas made me want to be a boxer which Im not, but it still made me want to be.

Yeah, Teddy makes me want to go out and hit the heavy bag.

I miss the Foreman/Merchant team on HBO. They could never agree on anything.

"ESPN2's Boxing coverage must be driving away fans by the boatload. Not only are the matchups pathetic, trying to listen to Teddy Atlas drone on for two hours is unbearable even for hardcore fans. Hearing his broken record collection of lines, along with his negative, no-fun approach makes me realize why all the fighters he trained turned into nut jobs. SOmeone needs to remind this guy its suppose to be entertainment for viewers. He makes it more miserable than a hot day in Gleasons Gym. Call me when Atlas is gone. Then at least I can watch crappy fights with the sound on again. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading the best boxing magazine out there, the one and only RING MAGAZINE"
RORY STEELE

This guy is a hand job. Atlas calls it as he sees it. Let's you know what is really going on in the ring and with the fighter. He is a real boxing guy. The truth is that he does not have any self interest in the fighters as they are not fighting under the premise of an exclusive TV contract. (See HBO, Showtime, etc). He does not feel the need to massage the fighters ego's like others.

Is this the guy who commentated on:
Vargas-Mayorga, RJJ-Trinidad, Campbell-Diaz?

the guy who commentates alone?

anyone watch last night?

Oscar DEE La Hoya? I love it.

Teddy Atlas disected Oliver-Perez to a T. His fight plan is the best in the biz because he does more homework than anyone else on the tube. His prep is what makes him the best.

Oh and there is nothin like it when he's ringside for the Olympics. His call of Andre Ward winning the gold was great.

I think Teddy's a bit of an acquired taste, but if you give him time he really grows on you. He (and his fight plans) are great for new viewers; my wife has started watching boxing with me, and Teddy is a big part of that. He is a change of pace from the UFC/WWE inspired "commentators," but I appreciate that.

i think hes a great commentator. especially when he gets upset about decisions

Atlas has forgotten more about boxing than most people will ever know.

Atlas has forgotten more about boxing than most people will ever know.

Mind giving us some insight on that? What is it about Boxing that Atlas has forgot exactly? Thats a pretty board statement to make without an explination

Teddy is an Old School kool cat, I need to pick up his book.

Mind giving us some insight on that? What is it about Boxing that Atlas has forgot exactly? Thats a pretty board statement to make without an explination

he means that Teddy Atlas knows a hell of a lot about boxing

he means that Teddy Atlas knows all about the art of pugilism

he means that Teddy Atlas knows shit-loads about the fight game

he means that Teddy Atlas knows a whole heap about fisticuffs

he means that Teddy Atlas knows ....

should I go on?

Boxing knowledge aside - his book was great, and I am a man of letters so I don't bestow this accord lightly. Sounds cliched but the guy is a great storyteller and an american original.

So...yeah. I like his commentary too. He's at his best when describing the most simple stufff..but there ain't nothing wrong with that.

Back