Teddy Atlas

Dude. How can you not like Larry Merchant? Replace him with Jim Lampley or Manny I say.

Merchant drives me crazy. Everything he says is so damn dramatic, with the pauses and he can't just say something, he has to add some retarded simile and he just drives me crazy. Clearly a lot of people like him because he still has a job but I just to jive with him. Its all good though.

Teddy does a great job explaining whats happening without sounding like a know it all.

Hes improved greatly as a commentator.

Merchant drives me crazy. Everything he says is so damn dramatic, with the pauses and he can't just say something, he has to add some retarded simile and he just drives me crazy. Clearly a lot of people like him because he still has a job but I just to jive with him. Its all good though.

Yeah, I just think its part of the show. Most of his comments crack me up. Yes, he's like a drunken, senile uncle, but he's OUR drunken, senile uncle if you can dig it.

I like the HBO broadcast team. Sure they are a bunch of tight asses but they are regularly and unintentionally comical. Plus they don't blow smoke up your ass like the showtime team.(on showtime boring fights are a display of technical skill)

In order of preference:

1. Teddy
2. Larry
3. Max Kellerman

Yeah, I just think its part of the show. Most of his comments crack me up. Yes, he's like a drunken, senile uncle, but he's OUR drunken, senile uncle if you can dig it.

Well put.

Crunk post.

Any fight ever-

"What should he do here lennox?"

Lennox- "He needs to use the jab more."

Plus he talks funny.

Allan Greene did a good job as a guest commentator on FnF's. Make him an announcer

Teddy Atlas and Larry Merchant are great without question, but how do you think Teddy Atlas and Larry Merchant would do together?

Teddy Atlas and Larry Merchant are great without question, but how do you think Teddy Atlas and Larry Merchant would do together?

It would probably be pretty quiet. Larry cant be bothered to put down his drink more than once a round or so. Teddy would be silent for a round and then give us a 10 minute dissertation on the fighters "fears."

Any fight ever-

"What should he do here lennox?"

Lennox- "He needs to use the jab more."

Let's not forget his probably only shining moment ever as a commentator:

IT'S OVAH!.........IT IS OVAH!

as Maskaev KTFO's Rahman

I dont know if anyone has the latest version of the Ring Magazene. But this is what some dude wrong on the Mail Bag section about Teddy and ESPN 2 FIght nights.

"ESPN2's Boxing coverage must be driving away fans by the boatload. Not only are the matchups pathetic, trying to listen to Teddy Atlas drone on for two hours is unbearable even for hardcore fans. Hearing his broken record collection of lines, along with his negative, no-fun approach makes me realize why all the fighters he trained turned into nut jobs. SOmeone needs to remind this guy its suppose to be entertainment for viewers. He makes it more miserable than a hot day in Gleasons Gym. Call me when Atlas is gone. Then at least I can watch crappy fights with the sound on again. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading the best boxing magazine out there, the one and only RING MAGAZINE"
RORY STEELE

I dont know what this guy is talking about. I seen plenty of exciting upsets and knockouts on ESPN Friday Night Fights all year. And I think, as I already said, Teddy is great. But thought that there would be interesting.

Teddy brings boxing commenting to a whole new level.

And his book was great.

I dont know if anyone has the latest version of the Ring Magazene. But this is what some dude wrong on the Mail Bag section about Teddy and ESPN 2 FIght nights.

"ESPN2's Boxing coverage must be driving away fans by the boatload. Not only are the matchups pathetic, trying to listen to Teddy Atlas drone on for two hours is unbearable even for hardcore fans. Hearing his broken record collection of lines, along with his negative, no-fun approach makes me realize why all the fighters he trained turned into nut jobs. SOmeone needs to remind this guy its suppose to be entertainment for viewers. He makes it more miserable than a hot day in Gleasons Gym. Call me when Atlas is gone. Then at least I can watch crappy fights with the sound on again. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading the best boxing magazine out there, the one and only RING MAGAZINE"
RORY STEELE
[email protected]"

I dont know what this guy is talking about. I seen plenty of exciting upsets and knockouts on ESPN Friday Night Fights all year. And I think, as I already said, Teddy is great. But thought that there would be interesting.
I've heard a few people say that actually, I don't really get it either. Atlas knows boxing, I've seen him call the round in which the fight will end and the punch that caused it. For a newer viewer, he does an excellent job of explaining the intricacies that would be missed. FNF or WNF without Atlas is not the same.

How about Jon Scully? Not sure if I spelled it right, you know who I mean.

I liked his commentary.

Same here, I watch Friday Night Fights because of teddy *well the fights also* It use to be perfect when Max Kellerman did the studio show and Teddy did the boxing commentary. Perfect show but ESPN screwed it up as usual.

I need to go to amazon and order that book.

I loved listening to those two go at it. Two very knowledgable boxing minds, one a journalist and one a trainer who would debate fiercely yet with mutual respect. I used to watch it religiously and I stopped when they split them up although I still tune in for a good fight.

I learned a lot about boxing watching Teddy break down the action in the ring.

Back