Teddy Atlas speak to Dustin Poirier

Maybe you should watch his fights if hes your favorite boxer.

What you said above is idiotic.
You, like many Tyson fans have difficulty being objective about his career. He was such a force coming up with the aura, look, and attitude of the baddest man on the planet that the deluded and subjective fans fail to see it all for what it was. He only beat fighters who were beaten before they stepped in the ring. Those who stood up to him, and had the skills to back it up, typically won.

Douglas, holyfield, Lewis, all had him figured out. He was the best for a while, but after Douglas he was exposed. He managed to get by a little longer till he ran into boxers who were better, badder, and had more heart, in holy field and Lewis. Bowe would have wrecked him too

Last edited:
Razor, Biggs and BoneCrusher. In these fights he did have to change his methods and as for the losing when things didn't go his way, that's how most people lose unless they have a glass jaw.
Absolutely not, on all counts.

He took some shots against Ruddock after throwing a shutout for five and a half rounds. Ruddock shocked Tyson with those shots, but Tyson quickly recovered and fired back after Ruddock initially tried to swarm him. Tyson picked up where he left off the next round, and won via TKO, using the same style he always used. So, he was never losing, never in danger of going out. That fight was notable because it was the first fighter that was willing to trade and was able to not be completely dominated, other than Douglas.

"Bone Crusher" Smith tied up and hugged Tyson in a successful bid to go the distance, but never contended or even came in the same area code as contending. While I'm sure Tyson was a frustrated as the fans were, that was an easy, easy, lop-sided win for Tyson. Tyson was never challenged in that fight, and was never faced with any kind of adversity. 120-106, 119-107, 119-107.

Biggs tried to box Tyson, and probably won the first round, maybe the first two, but Tyson was never in any danger, and certainly did not make any changes to his bob and weave, search and destroy tactics. It was Biggs who abandoned his stick and move strategy, as he increasingly found he couldn't keep Tyson off of him.

Yes, fighters generally have to have things go against them to lose, but a lot of great fighters find a way to win when things are going against them. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns. Hearns busted him up and was dominating that fight, and Leonard threw caution to the wind, and hunted for and got the KO in the 14th round that he needed.

Ali stuck and moved vs Foreman, but realized he couldn't keep it up and keep Foreman off of him for the fight, so he let Foreman pile up rounds, letting the most feared puncher in boxing to take free swings at him against the ropes for several rounds, with the tradeoff being that Ali felt he could wear him out and take him out.

Weaver vs Tate - Tate had the belt locked up, and dominated Weaver for the whole fight, and Weaver was able to find him with a minute to go in the 15th, and Tate literally was out cold and face-planted.

Foreman vs Moorer - Foreman was handily loosing the fight, but was able to find Moorer with his power to unexpectedly win a second belt, decades after his prime.

Tyson never had any fight, ever, where he had to come back from being seriously challenged, or was losing. He never won a close fight, either. It was pretty much all or nothing for him. That's what I'm talking about. That wasn't meant as an insult or to diminish Tyson, just an observation on why maybe some people would question whether he was more of a front-runner type of fighter.

Last edited:
Teddy kinda talks too much, the interviews feel like it's all about Teddy and not the interviewee. He just rants on and on.

You, like many Tyson fans have difficulty being objective about his career. He was such a force coming up with the aura, look, and attitude of the baddest man on the planet that the deluded and subjective fans fail to see it all for what it was. He only beat fighters who were beaten before they stepped in the ring. Those who stood up to him, and had the skills to back it up, typically won.

Douglas, holyfield, Lewis, all had him figured out. He was the best for a while, but after Douglas he was exposed. He managed to get by a little longer till he ran into boxers who were better, badder, and had more heart, in holy field and Lewis. Bowe would have wrecked him too

I understand exactly what happened to Mike Tysons career. There isn't a documentary made about the man that I don't own.

Maybe you should take a 2nd look because he wasn't just KOing everyone in the 1st round.

Watch the Tillis fight. Tillis was not afraid of Tyson and even taunted him after Tyson rocked him. Tillis went the distance with Mike.

Mike didn't gas, Mike didnt fold.

17 days later...SEVENTEEN DAYS LATER...Tyson went the distance with Blood Green.

Mike didn't gas, Mike didn't fold.

lol

In before this fighter I don’t know is a total wanker. Oops too late

Uh, no... Tyson beat a lot of guys who showed up to win:

Tucker, Green, Williams, Holmes, Ruddock x2, Botha, Tubbs, Bruno (first fight), and many others showed no signs of being intimidated.

There were only a few fights where his opponent "seemed" to fight scared: Spinks, Golota, Burno (second fight), Seldon, Tillman, and Stewart and that's about it.

And I'm not convinced that Spinks was scared (kind of hard to believe for an undefeated LHW goat), he may have just been caught early.

Frankly way to much is made of Tyson's intimidation factor, I highly doubt accomplished 6'4" 230lb HW's were all that scared of 5'10" 215lb MIke Tyson.

Teddy Atlas is the biggest fkn wanker alive. His takes on Tyson and Conor is so fkn sour and pathetic, lmao. Just because you say shit in a pseudo-poetic and gay way, doesnt mean its true.
Wow you are bitter Dee.

Teddy kinda talks too much, the interviews feel like it's all about Teddy and not the interviewee. He just rants on and on.
He asks Dustin a question then proceeds to rant on and on, essentially answering his own question lol. Dustin could barely get a word in.

Is Teddy even that great of a coach or does he just talk a lot? I heard Tyson barely got trained by him and it pretty much all Cus that trained Tyson. And yet people keep bringing up that Teddy was Tyson's coach.

Who did Tyson quit against?

He got up off the canvas in the Buster Douglas fight before getting KTFO...and even then he was still trying to get up and put his mouthpiece in.

The ref stopped the first Holyfield fight and Tyson lost his mind in the rematch after repeated fouls from Evander. A fight Tyson was doing quite well in before Evander started filling the ring with headbutts.

Lennox destroyed a 36 year old Tyson.

Who did he quit against?

Yeah, the narrative about tyson being a front runner and a quitter is grossly overstated. Je nearly koed douglas after catching a beating, and he survived two insanes wars with ruddock. Even when shot against LL he took a tremendous beating before laying down (sure, you can blame him for being a game loser, but that's easy to say) Sure, the holy rematch wasnt a good.look, but that cant erase a whole career

Absolutely not, on all counts.

He took some shots against Ruddock after throwing a shutout for five and a half rounds. Ruddock shocked Tyson with those shots, but Tyson quickly recovered and fired back after Ruddock initially tried to swarm him. Tyson picked up where he left off the next round, and won via TKO, using the same style he always used. So, he was never losing, never in danger of going out. That fight was notable because it was the first fighter that was willing to trade and was able to not be completely dominated, other than Douglas.

"Bone Crusher" Smith tied up and hugged Tyson in a successful bid to go the distance, but never contended or even came in the same area code as contending. While I'm sure Tyson was a frustrated as the fans were, that was an easy, easy, lop-sided win for Tyson. Tyson was never challenged in that fight, and was never faced with any kind of adversity. 120-106, 119-107, 119-107.

Biggs tried to box Tyson, and probably won the first round, maybe the first two, but Tyson was never in any danger, and certainly did not make any changes to his bob and weave, search and destroy tactics. It was Biggs who abandoned his stick and move strategy, as he increasingly found he couldn't keep Tyson off of him.

Yes, fighters generally have to have things go against them to lose, but a lot of great fighters find a way to win when things are going against them. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns. Hearns busted him up and was dominating that fight, and Leonard threw caution to the wind, and hunted for and got the KO in the 14th round that he needed.

Ali stuck and moved vs Foreman, but realized he couldn't keep it up and keep Foreman off of him for the fight, so he let Foreman pile up rounds, letting the most feared puncher in boxing to take free swings at him against the ropes for several rounds, with the tradeoff being that Ali felt he could wear him out and take him out.

Weaver vs Tate - Tate had the belt locked up, and dominated Weaver for the whole fight, and Weaver was able to find him with a minute to go in the 15th, and Tate literally was out cold and face-planted.

Foreman vs Moorer - Foreman was handily loosing the fight, but was able to find Moorer with his power to unexpectedly win a second belt, decades after his prime.

Tyson never had any fight, ever, where he had to come back from being seriously challenged, or was losing. He never won a close fight, either. It was pretty much all or nothing for him. That's what I'm talking about. That wasn't meant as an insult or to diminish Tyson, just an observation on why maybe some people would question whether he was more of a front-runner type of fighter.
Yes of course I understand you weren't trying to diminish Tyson and I understand the examples I gave weren't completely fit of the definition but my real interest is that Tyson had to deal with some adversity although not as much as Ali,. Foreman or Dempsey.

Yes of course I understand you weren't trying to diminish Tyson and I understand the examples I gave weren't completely fit of the definition but my real interest is that Tyson had to deal with some adversity although not as much as Ali,. Foreman or Dempsey.
He was a great heavyweight, but was exploited by those who manipulated him and didn't' have his best interests at heart.

Not every fighter has those moments where they are able to prove their mettle, so it's not a knock on him, but he never had a fight where he had to dig deep, and came out on top on the other end of it. So some people are going to question whether that was happenstance, or whether that was a reflection on him. The fighters who would have posed the best challenges to him all faced him when he was on a premature downward trajectory.

Well, I suppose as the only guy here that knew & worked with Tyson I should put my two cents in.

I believe the truth about Tyson lies somewhere in the middle. He was neither a total bully & coward nor was he the greatest thing since sliced bread. Like most individuals with mental health issues, he was a paradox. On any given night he could knock out almost anyone on the planet but on others, he could fall apart & quit like a dog. It all depended on his state of mind & how much resistance his opponent was willing to put up.

Well, I suppose as the only guy here that knew & worked with Tyson I should put my two cents in.

I believe the truth about Tyson lies somewhere in the middle. He was neither a total bully & coward nor was he the greatest thing since sliced bread. Like most individuals with mental health issues, he was a paradox. On any given night he could knock out almost anyone on the planet but on others, he could fall apart & quit like a dog. It all depended on his state of mind & how much resistance his opponent was willing to put up.
I got to see him fight and win the gold medal at the Empire State Games as an amateur when he represented the Hudson Valley region. Pretty cool. It went about the same as his early professional career.

Back