techniques with gi-pants?

meng_mao

this belt has flava
@purple
Reaction score
Just watched Royce x Tokoro, in which Royce wore just gi-pants, just like in his last couple fights. Does he wear it for BJJ pride, or are there some common techniques that you can do with just the pants? Like maybe an easier rubber guard? Not that Royce wouldn't be flexible enough.

The pants give extra friction so it's easier to keep armbars and triangles tight.

doesnt eddie bravo still wear gi pants most of the time?

I think there's a choke you can do with gi pants. Wrap your leg around their neck, then grab the bottom of your gi pants with the same side arm and use the leverage to choke out the guy with your forearm. Same as the ezekiel (I think) but with your leg. I've never used it but I saw it in some instructional.

i think it just provides more friction. also lures your opponent into playing a more grappling kinda game because theyll constantly grab your pants rather than hit you

Soulfly said:
The pants give extra friction so it's easier to keep armbars and triangles tight.

There you have it. Thats the number one reason I prefer to grapple in pants.

Soulfly said:

...not to mention a tighter closed guard

sha said:
I think there's a choke you can do with gi pants. Wrap your leg around their neck, then grab the bottom of your gi pants with the same side arm and use the leverage to choke out the guy with your forearm. Same as the ezekiel (I think) but with your leg. I've never used it but I saw it in some instructional.

Had a guy pull something similar on me after a failed triangle attempt. He suckered me in to passing his guard (one leg over my shoulder and across my shoulders, and the sliding the other shin across my stomach) Pushed his knee down and began to pass. He switched hands holding his gi pant, and basically I choked myself by going for the pass. Real sneaky, and have drilled it as my go to move for failed triangle attempts.

Ouch That Hurt said:
Had a guy pull something similar on me after a failed triangle attempt. He suckered me in to passing his guard (one leg over my shoulder and across my shoulders, and the sliding the other shin across my stomach) Pushed his knee down and began to pass. He switched hands holding his gi pant, and basically I choked myself by going for the pass. Real sneaky, and have drilled it as my go to move for failed triangle attempts.

o that sounds like a nice little choke there especially if you miss the triangle

if you wear your belt with the pants, its legal in judo and sport bjj to use the tails of the belt to choke a guy by just wrapping it around thier neck.

sproggdawg said:
There you have it. Thats the number one reason I prefer to grapple in pants.

same here. i like to work half guard and it is 10 times harder ot pass with i am wearing pants.

Rotund Grappler said:
if you wear your belt with the pants, its legal in judo and sport bjj to use the tails of the belt to choke a guy by just wrapping it around thier neck.

Are you sure? I don't think it's allowed anymore in competitive judo.

Soulfly said:
Are you sure? I don't think it's allowed anymore in competitive judo.
hmm, possibly. ive been out of judo for a couple years.

i like the concept of the choke though.

They suck the sweat also.

Back