Techniques to increase bench press?

Upmann

White Belt
Reaction score
I tried using the search button for an answer to this, but I couldn't find anything useful. I'm 5'6, 160 and my top bench is 260. is there any tips or techniques that I can utilize to increase my max?

Look down further on the main page.

You bench seems pretty good for your weight. How much can you squat? If you cannot squat more than you bench, then you have fucked up priorities.

Lower reps, focus on sticking points, better form, dips.

^^ What Klotz said... Only I don't find that Dips really affect your Bench much.

You bench seems pretty good for your weight. How much can you squat? If you cannot squat more than you bench, then you have fucked up priorities.

My max squat was 385.

Technique. Proper set-up.

And don't forget your back. Swole lats=bigger benching.

I like to press twice a week. One day I do more or less just a ton of heavy benching or floor pressing or whatever, the other day I do one heavy movement followed by a lot of high rep stuff to get some volume in. The light day is very bodybduilerish, really.

Carnal knows what he's doing.

Especially as you start to reach your own max's... You HAVE to do some bodybuilderish/higher rep assistance training.

There's really no way around it.

• Stretch your lats
  • Make sure to keep looking at the same location somewhere on the ceiling at all times...no watching the bar move
  • Make sure your grip everytime you bench is the same...write it down where exactly that grip is if you have too

Eh, just a few off the top of my head. Everyone else had some good suggestions so give them a try and see how they work you.

Carnal knows what he's doing.

Especially as you start to reach your own max's... You HAVE to do some bodybuilderish/higher rep assistance training.

There's really no way around it.

I know. I was just bein' facetious.

25-cent.jpg

A couple weeks ago, I started doing incline DB fly's. Now THAT felt fucking naughty.

...joking should only go so far CS.

ive actually though about doing a little bit of db flys for rehab purposes.

ive actually though about doing a little bit of db flys for rehab purposes.

I started doing them because whenever I miss a bench in a bad way (which is rare, but shit happens) the pec/delt tie in gets sore, and the incline fly's seem to train that area. Plus I wanted more volume. And it's just something I threw in at the end of pressing workouts when I'm doing face pulls, band pull-aparts, rear delt raises, kelso rows, etc.

Back