techniques against much bigger opponents

A

alexgncw

what moves work best for everyone when facing a much bigger opponent?

Assuming bjj-style rules .I like using that scissor sweep guard pass as the key to stopping it (unlike most other moves) is being quick not strong. I also like try to pass from standing while they're buttscooting as this requires agility rather than strength to defend. On top i like to move around between knee on stomach, NS and sidemount and look for oppourtunities for kimuras, armbars and baseball chokes. Taking the back and going for the rnc is also effective.

grappling stnad up - arm drag take the back
in guard on the ground - pass the arm try to sweep if he counters take the back
open guard - keep a inside hook and avoid the cross face for a elevator sweep, if he counters arm drag and take the bag
striking - ummm circle away from power hand; arm drag and take the back.

I will go with how to take the back for 1000 alex ...

anchle picks are awesome against bigger guys for getting them on the ground.

Using speed on the ground is definitally an awesome advantage, like bigger guys can sometimes just stand up b/c of there size after you get them on the ground. So you can use your speed to get there back or move whereever you want.

Standing: Foot sweeps.
On the ground: If they're in my guard, I hug them very tightly with a tight closed guard, as they get loose from this I push them away with my feet as much as possible. Going back and forth with this, eventually something opens up.
In their guard I stand up (as mentioned above) and out maneuver as much as I can. I usually try a straight up the middle pass. Doesn't always work: some big dudes are fast.

Oh, and by the way...SEARCH BUTTON. This is a once a week question in the grappling forum.

RNC is obviously the best technique to use against a person much bigger and stonger than yourself, and the prefered position is the rear mount also. An armbar is just as effective agains someone much bigger too. From the guard or top position.

Bubble Boy said:
Oh, and by the way...SEARCH BUTTON. This is a once a week question in the grappling forum.
deff. the best way to beat a bigger opponent

Bubble Boy said:
Standing: Foot sweeps.
On the ground: If they're in my guard, I hug them very tightly with a tight closed guard, as they get loose from this I push them away with my feet as much as possible. Going back and forth with this, eventually something opens up.
In their guard I stand up (as mentioned above) and out maneuver as much as I can. I usually try a straight up the middle pass. Doesn't always work: some big dudes are fast.

I always have trouble closing guard on a big guy. I've got short legs anyway, so even on a medium sized opp it's tough. I assume I'll just have to learn to get submissions from other positions since I (assume) there are no real submissions from an open guard without eventually closing?

JoeU1741 said:
I always have trouble closing guard on a big guy. I've got short legs anyway, so even on a medium sized opp it's tough. I assume I'll just have to learn to get submissions from other positions since I (assume) there are no real submissions from an open guard without eventually closing?

You eventually have to open closed guard in order to submit or sweep so technically you would be in open guard. There are a number of setups and subs from open guard.

Color me crazy but all of brazillian jiu-jitsu is based on the premise that your opponent is bigger than you and you want to take him out using technique.

CuseMMA said:
Color me crazy but all of brazillian jiu-jitsu is based on the premise that your opponent is bigger than you and you want to take him out using technique.

Nice!

JoeU1741 said:

If you have trouble closing your guard then you are talking about wrestling with giants. I remember in the Yoshida Vs. Gardner fight, Yoshida could barely close his guard: he was literally just hooking the tips of his toes! So if there's that much of a size difference, then push away. Don't even attempt to hold a tight closed guard. Grab his wrists (or gi sleeves) and control his arms. Push away and keep his hips back with your feet.

Also, arm drag to taking the back works really well against Goliath types in your guard.

Here: http://www.abhaya.ca/video/armdrag_fromguard.wmv

Oh yeah, one more. The Airplane Sweep. Good small vs large sweep.

I find the best way to beat a bigger opponent is to train harder than him.

Maybe I am too old school, and should move into the 21st century and just type a lot on message boards. Perhaps there is some magic and/or scientific method of beating these guys that can be downloaded.

Maybe I am too old school, and should move into the 21st century and just type a lot on message boards. Perhaps there is some magic and/or scientific method of beating these guys that can be downloaded.

BULLSHIT! This just ruined my day!

Ding, ding, ding, we have the winner!

I'm currently trying to figure this out when sparring against my 360 lbs training partner (I'm 200 lbs). Half guard is fucking hopeless so far, as he really knows how to make himself heavy and utilize pressure, but I've been able to successfully sweep him from butterfly guard. As for which positions to control him from, it seems that North-South and back mount, as well as maybe knee-on-belly (you're mobile) are the ways to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back