Technique Talk: Rhadi Ferguson and understanding Ronda Rousey's dominance

ReactQ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
2500cix.jpg

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/9...erguson-and-understanding-ronda-rouseys-reign

From a judo perspective, what is remarkable about Ronda Rousey's judo? If you had to explain what's special about her, what would you say?

When you hear Ronda Rousey talk about beating Cain Velasquez and all that stuff and lining up against heavyweights, understand that I'm telling you that I don't believe it can happen. But in her mind, she believes that shit. That's not any marketing. She believes it.

We had a training session where we were rolling around on the mat with just newaza. I was a black belt at the time in jiu-jitsu. Ronda began to cry. I said, 'What are you crying about? ' She said, 'I can't do anything.' I said, 'Ronda, I'm 100kg male.' She said, 'Yeah, but I don't feel like you're supposed to beat me.'

If someone asked you why Rousey was so dominant in the women's bantamweight division, from a technical perspective, how would you answer that question?

I answered it right now. She has practiced more. I don't give a damn what skill it is. If you take every skill - take the running, the boxing, the striking, the grappling - take all of it and put it in a bucket. And you put her bucket on a scale and Miesh Tate's bucket on a scale, Miesha Tate's bucket is not going to measure up to Ronda's bucket. She's done more hours of practice. Those young women in there, they all have a puncher's chance and that is it. That is it.

Interesting insight and astute observations. People underestimate how important self belief is, even if it's delusional. Belief is the first step towards success. It doesn't guarantee it but it helps.

This is seriously the best article on the subject of Ronda/competition/styles of fighting that I've read in while.

Last edited:
Confidence is a very powerful thing. Overconfidence however is a very dangerous thing.

Interesting insight and astute observations. People underestimate how important self belief is, even if it's delusional. Belief is the first step towards success. It doesn't guarantee it but it helps.

I totally agree.

It's probably why you see such a heavy preponderance of fighters of faith getting the gold. Whether it's insane self-belief like Ronda's or Diego Sanchez style fanatical belief that God wants you to be champion - it all helps.

These belief systems obliterate self-doubt and hesitation and allow the fighters to go at it 100%. They hit a major obstacle, like blowing out a knee, and then proceed to work through it as though it is the most transient delay ever in reaching their pre-destined goal of being champion.

Logical over-thinker types are not going to be champions as often (Hi, Kenny Florian!).

I totally agree.

It's probably why you see such a heavy preponderance of fighters of faith getting the gold. Whether it's insane self-belief like Ronda's or Diego Sanchez style fanatical belief that God wants you to be champion - it all helps.

These belief systems obliterate self-doubt and hesitation and allow the fighters to go at it 100%. They hit a major obstacle, like blowing out a knee, and then proceed to work through it as though it is the most transient delay ever in reaching their pre-destined goal of being champion.

Logical over-thinker types are not going to be champions as often (Hi, Kenny Florian!).
...which makes GSP's run of dominance all the more impressive, IMO.

This is a brilliant interview, needed a snappier thread title to ensure more views...

Rhadi Ferguson is an amazing person and teacher, I hold him in very high regard and everything he says is measured to that high regard I have of him and he always delivers. Would love to hear more of him about Ronda and the overll state of Judo in MMA.

Yes, good interview.

He explains why female judo players are far more technically advanced (and better athletes) than female wrestlers at the olympic level.

Even though he's friends with Ronda, he's always unbiased and speaks his mind about Ronda's strengths and weaknesses.

He's certainly more informative than listening to the recent flood of Ronda haters on this forum who pretend to know judo but really have no clue (Bowerman, LouisBolanos, etc).

Such a good read!
Very interesting stuff

That's Kimbo Slice's cousin or something, right?

Anyway, really interesting read.

Yes it is.
Kimbos cousin

I don't think Judo on the men's side can be considered comparable
to wrestling in terms of depth of talent.

The United States is a key contributor to athletic representation globally and their
level of participation in wrestling is much greater.

I also think Dr Ferguson somewhat discounts inate ability.

Some people can simply acquire skills faster than others otherwise all the lighter weight Muay thai champs would be thai

Last edited:
I totally agree.

It's not just athletics, it applies to many other areas as well.

Let's take the Presidency for example. You essentially need near self-delusional levels of Ego to become the President.

Think about it carefully. What kind of ego do you need to have to sincerely believe that you are the MOST qualified human being on the planet to lead the most powerful country on the planet? That you are that much wiser and smarter than the 300+ Millions human beings that surround you?

And to be so sure that You, alone are the best person to decide the fate of those people? To make decisions that determine the lives of an entire nation and to some extent hundreds of millions to billions of people around the world? That you are qualified to make decisions when it is appropriate to send tens of thousands of young men and women into harm's way? Or how much to provide for the public versus the military versus industry?

You would have to have confidence and a view of yourself that would be considered by most people to be seriously delusional. The same applies to star actors and musicians who think that they're destined to become superstars. It even applies to business founders like Steve Jobs who think that they if they create something that has no precedent like the Lisa or the IPod that there will be a market for it.

You really do have to have a few screws loose to become the best or close to the best at anything. All we can do is hope that when some of them succeed that they don't completely lose it.

I don't think Judo on the men's side can be considered comparable
to wrestling in terms of depth of talent.

The United States is a key contributor to athletic representation globally and their
level of participation in wrestling is much greater.

I also think Dr Ferguson somewhat discounts inate ability.

Some people can simply acquire skills faster than others otherwise all the lighter weight Muay thai champs would be thai

And all I said was that Rhadi is Kimbos cousin :icon_sad:

she doesn't talk about beating Cain Velasquez and shit like that. It's silly questions "journalists" bring up.

Rhadi is the man,i love reading his stuff. The guy is not afraid at all to tell it like it is. If you like,check his "coffee with Rhadi" stuff on youtube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back