TECHNIQUE GIFS: Counter check left hook over right straight

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to make a series of threads, each containing gifs from actual fights focused on the beautiful execution of a specific technique.

This thread is dedicated to the counter check left hook thrown over opponent's right straight while backing up, taking advantage of an opponent's tendency to drop the hand they just punched with.

Daley vs Smith:

Rosenstruik vs Arlovski:

Share your's from MMA or boxing fights!

Last edited:
very original idea bro thumbs up! Unfortunately, don't know more examples, but the left hook is a good counter when you retreat and someone misses with a right straight because he's chasing you, and there's no time to return the hand to the chin quickly.

very original idea bro thumbs up! Unfortunately, don't know more examples, but the left hook is a good counter when you retreat and someone misses with a right straight because he's chasing you, and there's no time to return the hand to the chin quickly.

I was thinking of using Mayweather, but this actually made me realize that Mayweather times his check hook to be simultaneous with the opponent’s jab, throwing it while pivoting left out of the way of the jab and taking advantage of the opponent’s tendency to lower the right while jabbing, rather than timing it to after the opponent’s right.

Anyway, hoping to see more examples.

Last edited:
Mayweather also uses a pull left hook sometimes, comes up soon after the timestamp;

He times the left hook on Canelo throwing his right.

Mayweather also uses a pull left hook sometimes, comes up soon after the timestamp;

He times the left hook on Canelo throwing his right.

Damn nice, exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see. Made a gif of it, rd 3, 0:09.

I like how Canelo does not make the mistake of dropping his right while jabbing.

Last edited:
This actually reminded me of an early Mayweather fight, Mayweather vs Ayala, rd 2, 1:25.

Last edited:
I know it as a check hook....good counter

I've always heard a check hook referred to as specifically where you end up pivoting or stepping out to your left(if a left hook, right if a right hook) simultaneously with the punch, rather than just lay back and hook over the top

Looking at the OP, the check hook? works so well because of the bad, really bad striking of the aggressor. I mean they stink by basic boxing. Nothing of boxing (that i can tell) is in their form.

They deserve what they got.<22>

Didn't know its called check hook. I learned something new today.

Another one from Mayweather vs Canelo, rd 4, 0:29. Mayweather actually draws out the right by jabbing first.

Last edited:
This one is done after blocking the right rather than pulling from the right.

Last edited:
Roy Jones Jr vs John Ruiz, rd 1, 0:27 (amazingly, RJJ did this while he was rocked):

Doesn't counter a right cross but still a check hook:

2.gif

tumblr_n7uf5cx8UO1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Back