Technique breakdown of why Till's lead-uppercut failed vs Woodley

ha! there have been a lot of breakdown videos fast this fight. i personally like "what really happened" series by TheWeasle, but Gracie Breakdown and a few others were out by early Monday morning.

I'll watch it. Thanks TS.

EDIT: my mistake. this isn't a breakdown / what really happened. this is a conversation between two guys, one asks if the other thought DC's breakdown was good.

frankly, not much to see here. waste of 3 good minutes, if you ask me. i would have preferred the original DC breakdown myself, but what do i know.

i have a strong suspicion this was only posted because of a Conor reference....

Last edited:
ha! there have been a lot of breakdown videos fast this fight. i personally like "what really happened" series by TheWeasle, but Gracie Breakdown and a few others were out by early Monday morning.

I'll watch it. Thanks TS.
I always hear people mention Weasle's stuff but never checked him out, he's good?

And np.

I always hear people mention Weasle's stuff but never checked him out, he's good?

And np.
Weasel is a fraud. He has no idea what hes talking about. He only understands the basics. He doesnt understand on any kind of deeper level. He's constantly missing the finer details and misrepresenting what actually happened/what was actually the story of the fight etc

If you truly want to get on your way to understanding fighting on a legitimate deep level, then watch BJJ Scout for MMA and Lee Wylie for boxing. Those 2 are legit as fuck and actually know what they are talking about

Those are the only 2 analysts I myself watch and respect greatly

Last edited:
Its simply the basics

Conor never comes in on the center line

Conor will level change, dip to his right, and come up with more of an uprising (or "corkscrew") uppercut into the step out to left straight. All much much more difficult stuff to read or time.

Where as Till came in on a straight line with a lead uppercut, which is a huge no no

Tony Ferguson has this same huge flaw too. Tony always come in straight, and way too upright, with lead uppercuts

Conor does it right with great defensive responsibility and superior offcenter positioning of his head and feet

He mentions how what Conor does is a Primce Naseem thing. Not really. Conor comes up from a level change to make it much more harder to read etc

Marvin Hagler actually did it a lot like how Conor does it.

Also what he doesn't mention is the process before it

Of how Conor is always probing with his leadhand, controlling, dictating, constantly fienting to keep an opponent off set etc

So that's why it's even harder for opponents to ever get the drop on Conor

Here is an example of Conor using leadhand probing rhythm manipulation to set up that combo against Holloway

BBB.gif

Look how Conor conditions Holloway to keep swatting away his lead hand...and then when Holloway is expecting to swat away a 3rd probe from Conor, boom that's when Conor goes underneath on the off beat ambushing Holloway completey out of position

That's the next level skill and genuis IQ of Conor

And Conor has DOZENS of different set ups for that one combo alone

Meanwhile, not only does Till come in dead center on with a lead uppercut (already bad enough) but Till always steps into while having done zero fienting and zero misdirections to disguise etc

At least if Till fiented his opponent out beforehand he could get away with coming in on a straight line with a leadhand uppercut. But Till doesn't even do tnat

Till is literallly an amature

Conor simply operates on another universe conpared to everyone on MMA

It's a shame how under rated Conor is because Conor is genuinely the most skilled and most intelligent striker/boxer MMA history has ever seen at the championship level

You have newbs who know nothing about fighting who truly "believe" that Till (or Woodley) are better strikers then Conor...

LOL

Cough
@elcj
@Killashaw
@Dankoz
@ANIM4L
Cough cough cough
Pretty much what Brendan describes. Good job

Weasel is a fraud. He has no idea what hes talking about. He only understands the basics. He doesnt understand on any kind of deeper level. He's constantly missing the finer details and misrepresenting what actually happened/what was actually the story of the fight etc

If you truly want to get on your way to understanding fighting on a legitimate deep level, then watch BJJ Scout for MMA and Lee Wylie for boxing. Those 2 are legit as fuck and actually know what they are talking about

Those are the only 2 analysts I myself watch and respect
Interesting. I'll check him out and find out for myself. I like all those guys plus Dorman who breaks this down.

Pretty much what Brendan describes. Good job
Thank you: )

Also good thread. Feels good to have some intelligent discussion here for once

He never mentioned Conor's sophisticated leadhand radar systems and sophisticated fienting systems.

I hope me going deeper, helped you to get a better understand/clearer picture : )

Conor like Floyd is a master of ambusing opponents on OFFbeats..

With the leadhand "touch touch then shoot the lead"

And in always mixing it up

Sometimes Conor goes "touch touch shoot"..."touch shoot"..."touch touch touch shoot"..

Conor is genuinely the hardest fighter in MMA history to get a read on and or time (in very much the same way Floyd was for boxing)

Conor is truly something special. Its a shame how under rated he is.

If you are a fan of nothing but pure skill, Conor McGregor is the full embodiment of nothing but pure skill and high fight IQ, and Conor is your fighter to study and learn from: )

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll check him out and find out for myself. I like all those guys plus Dorman who breaks this down.
I've never heard of Dorman. He was definitely spot-on.

But 100% it's a must you follow BJJ Scout and Lee Wylie

He's actually a bit of an OG, Rogan gives him shout outs from Rogan a lot. BJJ Scout is great as is Wylie.

Daniel Cormier pointed this one out.

DC pointed out that Conor was the only one to do it and get away with it. This is for two reasons Conor uses footwork to close the distance quickly when doing it whilst staying off the centre line and coming off at an angle, other fighters use that uppercut to swing into the distance of being close enough, attacking in a straight line. Secondly when Conor does it his follow up doesn't leave until his uppercut hand is back in position, other fighters are already punching with the straight when the uppercut is coming back down leaving themselves with no defence. Till has a longer frame than Woodley why he used a lunch that required him to close the distance against a short guy with power who's been tagging him good I'll never know.

Last edited:
Its simply the basics

Conor never comes in on the center line

Conor will level change, dip to his right, and come up with more of an uprising (or "corkscrew") uppercut into the step out to left straight. All much much more difficult stuff to read or time.

Where as Till came in on a straight line with a lead uppercut, which is a huge no no

Tony Ferguson has this same huge flaw too. Tony always come in straight, and way too upright, with lead uppercuts

Conor does it right with great defensive responsibility and superior offcenter positioning of his head and feet

He mentions how what Conor does is a Primce Naseem thing. Conor comes up from a level change to make it much more harder to read etc. Marvin Hagler actually did it a lot like how Conor does it.

Also what he doesn't mention is the process before it

Of how Conor is always probing with his leadhand, controlling, dictating, constantly fienting to keep an opponent off set etc

So that's why it's even harder for opponents to ever get the drop on Conor

Here is an example of Conor using leadhand probing rhythm manipulation to set up that combo against Holloway In one instance

BBB.gif

Look how Conor conditions Holloway to keep swatting away his lead hand...and then when Holloway is expecting to swat away a 3rd probe from Conor, boom that's when Conor goes underneath on the off beat ambushing Holloway completey out of position

That's the next level skill and genuis IQ of Conor

And Conor has DOZENS of different set ups for that one combo alone

Meanwhile, not only does Till come in dead center on with a lead uppercut (already bad enough) but Till always steps into it while having done zero fienting and or zero misdirections to disguise etc

At least if Till fiented his opponent out beforehand he could maybe get away with coming in on a straight line with a leadhand uppercut. But Till doesn't even do that

Till is literallly an amature

Conor simply operates on another universe conpared to everyone on MMA

It's a shame how under rated Conor is because Conor is genuinely the most skilled and most intelligent striker/boxer MMA history has ever seen at the championship level

You have "newbs" who know nothing about fighting who truly "believe" that Till (or Woodley) are better strikers then Conor...

LOL

Cough
@elcj
@Killashaw
@Dankoz
@ANIM4L
Cough cough cough
Woodley would murder Conor and his scrub coaching. He's being trained by Freddie Roach. Rewatch the first round of the Mendes fight. Conor was getting Lit up on the feet and on the ground by a wrestler.

You cherry picking highlights to make a narrative is why no one respects your insight.

Last edited:

Jack Slack i also enjoy very much. Maybe it's a matter of taste but i would like to add him to this list, especially when it comes to striking (in mma).

noob here, just nice to see actual insight and analysis. does everyone think it boils down to Till wasn't ready/too young? he's what 25, and Woodley 36? also did anyone make a nice bet on woodley and laugh all the way to the bank?

Back