Technics unveils new SL-1200 MK7 turntable

FinalFight

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Technics unveils new SL-1200 MK7 turntable

Teased last week and unveiled at CES 2019, the Technics SL-1200 MK7 direct drive turntable follows Panasonic’s revival of the Technics brand in 2016, when it launched the SL-1200G range.

Targeted at home listening and audiophiles, the SL-1200G seemed to turn its back on DJs, many of whom balked at the excessive price tag.

Now, eleven years since the release of the SL-1200MK6, the new MK7 model promises to only make minor adjustments to the design. As Technics explained during its CES press conference, “We wouldn’t dream of drastically changing one of the most renowned products in music history.”

Speaking at the event, Technics say they have “re-engaged the DJ community” with the MK7, introducing a new, lighter coreless direct drive motor. The MK7 will also have the ability to play in reverse (as long as your cartridge and needle are also compatible), and incorporates a new motor control which will further benefit DJs who like to scratch.

The finish is matte black, and features an all-black tonearm. The chassis is made from a mixture of aluminium and glass fibre, with a view to minimising distortion caused by vibrations in loud environments.

While Technics have made the point of targeting the MK7 at the DJ community, they have yet to announce how much the turntable will cost – something which will doubtless be a deciding factor in how this news is ultimately received.

technics-sl-1200-mk7.jpg

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/technics-unveils-new-sl-1200-mk7-turntable/

I was looking to buy either a controller of a pair of turntables and then I see this. :rolleyes: Hopefully they're not too pricey.

Oh they'll be pricey alright. Save your money and get yourself a controller or some cdjs

Oh they'll be pricey alright. Save your money and get yourself a controller or some cdjs

I learned how to mix on turntables and have a fondness for them. I'll go with a controller if the technics are out of my price range.

I bought a pair of 1200 GRs a few years back. Total waste of money. They look great but I barely use them. I find that my Numark NV controller and my cheap Reloop cdjs are much more convenient for dicking around with at home.

I always wanted to learn scratching. When I in HS in a rich man town, they use to find token minorities and let them attend school in the district. Well, they had this Filipino kid from Jersey City, who acted all urban, and embraced rap culture. He was also an amateur DJ. He brought his turntables to class one day, and demonstrated. It was COOOOOLLLL ! ! ! !

<{UberTS}> <{UberTS}> <{UberTS}>

Just picked up a Stanton T.92.

I made another thread and ill say it again.
I got the Akai MPC x and it is amazing.

If you are used to computer based software there will be a learning curve.
For me it's perfect because i didn't have a computer to start.

Back