Technical questions - what to do after I catch my opponent's leg?

That's my preferred method of defending roundhouse kicks to the body.

What I think might be a more effective method if you can see it coming is an underarm catch, timestamped here;

The problem with the "overarm parry" I guess you could call it is I find you rarely trap the leg, so too often if you parry it they return to their stance with balance slightly disrupted but not particularly punished. I would like to start working on the underarm catch after the lockdown. The one advantage of the overarm parry is you can counter them without being in range.

Edit: I agree eating it, catching and countering it is essential as well though because nobody is going to be able to see it coming every time.

underarm puts you in more/better control once you catch it. Overarm is less risk cause your hand is up top to protect your face still. Its probably easier and a bit faster too, doesnt require as much reading of the kick.......all that being said I agree and prefer the under catch......learn know and use both.

never seen a kick caught like that in MT, only ever seen it done one way...and a lot of the time it seems like they eat it when they do it

that kyokushin video is literally textbook muay thai technqiue, they are the same thing. Im sure I can find MT videos showing the same counters.

these kick counters are staples of muay thai

When you catch a rib kick, you move with the power, it was explained in the kyokushin video.

Im sure you have seen kicks blocked this way before, maybe just didnt notice. like i said its a staple of MT, your going to see blocks like that in every fight.

LOL you're so triggered you replied to my comment TWICE. thanks for the living space in your head, boy. rent-free.
<{1-7}>
OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm so triggered by ur cool AF cumback. Quick, get you hand off your pant opening... oh I'm too late.<{1-17}>

LOL you're so triggered you replied to my comment TWICE. thanks for the living space in your head, boy. rent-free.
<{1-7}>

Would have been way cooler if you didn't just copy Tyson Fury's banter though...

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm so triggered by ur cool AF cumback. Quick, get you hand off your pant opening... oh I'm too late.<{1-17}>

hahaha i just said three words and you already went on typing two replies. lol

at least you controlled yourself better this time, though im sure that was hard on you. good job kid :)

hahaha i just said three words and you already went on typing two replies. lol

at least you controlled yourself better this time, though im sure that was hard on you. good job kid :)
Are you sure you're sure? <{1-1}>I mean making good use of your journalism degree? With a minor in multiple personalities....

Are you sure you're sure? <{1-1}>I mean making good use of your journalism degree? With a minor in multiple personalities....

and he's still replying lmao. calm down kid. so triggered. sheesh.

thanks Frode - any tips for sweeping?

And as she noted, the techniques can be chained together to get a stubborn opponent down.

giphy.gif

And he's still triggered! Hahaha

Hey guys

Been having some difficulty dealing with what happens after I catch my opponent's kick.

For starters, once I catch my opponent's leg, they immediately start punching me. As a solution, my coach tells me to elevate my opponent's leg and to lean back so they'll be off balanced. However, this doesn't seem to be working for me as I find tugging the leg up (so that its pretty much smothered by my armpit) doesn't really off balance my opponent - maybe this is because I'm short (5'7) and a lot of the guys I go up against are like 5'10+?

Second, the only thing I can really do off the catch (apart from punching) is to step back and throw their leg to the side. It works at the lower levels but repeatedly doing it means those with more experience can anticipate it - after I throw their leg, they are able to form a floating check so my follow up kick doesn't score.

I don't know why but I have a lot of trouble dumping/sweeping people once they have their leg caught. I spar with bigger guys and their supporting leg remains strong even when one-legged...this is the case even when I put my arm across their chest and I try to push them backward with my arm.

Could it possibly be because I don't step close enough to them when I sweep? Or because I haven't off balanced them enough? I know how to sweep in theory so it must be small but important details I'm missing that is preventing the sweep from working in actuality.

Any tips will be very welcomed! Thanks in advance guys

Stop catching kicks? Sometimes I'd deal with kicks by stepping in with a right, left, right, moving forward.

never seen a kick caught like that in MT, only ever seen it done one way...and a lot of the time it seems like they eat it when they do it

The sweep starting at 0:25 is like the underhanded grip one shown later in th4 tutorial. The vid cuts off the beginning of the catch though:

Back