Technical questions - what to do after I catch my opponent's leg?

Sorry, didn't mean to derail ya there lol.

I"ve never been great at catching legs, as the muay thai I did didn't focus on sweeps too much. So i tend to just use wrestling/judo stuff.

Stepping in deep with the opposite leg as you elbow them/turn can throw them down backwards.

switching arms after you catch, bringing your arm in front and kicking their leg out as you pull back is another one.
Driving up and just throwing them over from the same motion.

If you go to "krubobperez" on instagram i know he's had some videos of sweeps where he was doing a technique of hte day for a while. Might have to scroll a bit though.

Stanclarker is one of those guys who's primary animating impulse in life (and hence the only thing he does on these forums) is to talk shit about people around him/things associated with people around him (and thus to elevate oneself by implication of comparison, of course).

He doesn't actually know shit about jack though, so he faces some difficulties with this plan; he can't actually talk about actual particulars of actual contests between actual people - can't actually 'talk shop' with anyone, that is to say.

Thus, the only way he can express the poison that oozes from his diseased spirit and spills out of his mouth is through empty sophisms and simple boldfaced libels of his chosen target demographics.

Last edited:
Hey guys

Been having some difficulty dealing with what happens after I catch my opponent's kick.

For starters, once I catch my opponent's leg, they immediately start punching me. As a solution, my coach tells me to elevate my opponent's leg and to lean back so they'll be off balanced. However, this doesn't seem to be working for me as I find tugging the leg up (so that its pretty much smothered by my armpit) doesn't really off balance my opponent - maybe this is because I'm short (5'7) and a lot of the guys I go up against are like 5'10+?

Second, the only thing I can really do off the catch (apart from punching) is to step back and throw their leg to the side. It works at the lower levels but repeatedly doing it means those with more experience can anticipate it - after I throw their leg, they are able to form a floating check so my follow up kick doesn't score.

I don't know why but I have a lot of trouble dumping/sweeping people once they have their leg caught. I spar with bigger guys and their supporting leg remains strong even when one-legged...this is the case even when I put my arm across their chest and I try to push them backward with my arm.

Could it possibly be because I don't step close enough to them when I sweep? Or because I haven't off balanced them enough? I know how to sweep in theory so it must be small but important details I'm missing that is preventing the sweep from working in actuality.

Any tips will be very welcomed! Thanks in advance guys
well you could just take a big step backwards, or step in and put a foot behind their support foot and then push...or just come in with a big inside kick to the leg...

this is something i don't understand about MT. why eat the kick to catch it? block it like you would a hook to the body, and scoop your forearm down around and back up...doesn't seem to be any slower than the MT method, but you're not eating a kick to the ribs...

this is something i don't understand about MT. why eat the kick to catch it? block it like you would a hook to the body, and scoop your forearm down around and back up...doesn't seem to be any slower than the MT method, but you're not eating a kick to the ribs...
You don't eat the kick, you move off the line so all the power is out. If we used an analog clock you'd be standing at 6, he's at 12. When you're off the line, you're between 5 and 4 You barely eat anything, it goes from the power of a hook x3 to a jab.
If you catch while just staying there you're gonna break ribs. Best to drill with a partner who keeps it honest. Seen ppl to take advantage of a partner who slows down and goes light and eats it, on fight night that habit comes back to haunt him becuase it's a full force, top speed kick not a light slow one.

Block and scoop method you take the full force of the kick on your arm. And it's easier to pull back a kick off an underhand grip than an over hook of your entire arm. so you could essentially take arm damage and not even get the catch in time

You don't eat the kick, you move off the line so all the power is out.

But what's the point of takedowns in Muay Thai if there is no follow up? Are they heavily scored?

But what's the point of takedowns in Muay Thai if there is no follow up? Are they heavily scored?
Spectator friendly. Looks better to judges when done well (sweep them on timing, while you stay standing in control). If you sweep people like Saenchai where people flip 180 deg in the process it can do damage. Fall flat on your back hard, it winds you.

For the most part I don't prioritize sweeps. They take more effort, don't deliver much damage, and I'd much rather strike more than to do it. I'd only sweep if it's a freebie for me and at the end of a combination that I've followed up after I've caught a kick

Spectator friendly. Looks better to judges when done well (sweep them on timing, while you stay standing in control). If you sweep people like Saenchai where people flip 180 deg in the process it can do damage. Fall flat on your back hard, it winds you.

For the most part I don't prioritize sweeps. They take more effort, don't deliver much damage, and I'd much rather strike more than to do it. I'd only sweep if it's a freebie for me and at the end of a combination that I've followed up after I've caught a kick

Does what you write apply to all styles or does it hinge upon Muay Thai range and tempo? For instance, would it work against someone like Raymond Daniels? Or is he just too fast and in and out?

Does what you write apply to all styles or does it hinge upon Muay Thai range and tempo? For instance, would it work against someone like Raymond Daniels? Or is he just too fast and in and out?
I've always relied more on timing and pressure than trying to match kick speed. Generally I prefer parrying and movement when it comes to sparring or fighting against people who kick faster than I can catch

I've always relied more on timing and pressure than trying to match kick speed. Generally I prefer parrying and movement when it comes to sparring or fighting against people who kick faster than I can catch

The best strategy I've seen is to brawl them. It completely disrupts their rhythmic shoot-fighting style, and those guys tend to be on the lighter side. It's hard to do psychologically though if it's not your normal style of fighting.

The block you mentioned is done in MT as well. I would figure the catch and counter techniuques to kicks is probably the same across the board. Heres a kyokushin video demonstrating a bunch of kick counters, they are the same in MT as well.

The best strategy I've seen is to brawl them. It completely disrupts their rhythmic shoot-fighting style, and those guys tend to be on the lighter side. It's hard to do psychologically though if it's not your normal style of fighting.

Try to brawl a Muay Thai fighter and watch your chin fly off too an elbow lmao

You're going to get trapped in the clinch, at the most novice level in competing that happens
  • both fighters are aggressive and never back down
  • press forward
  • stuck in the clinch for the next 30 seconds
  • ref breaks
  • repeat

You're going to get trapped in the clinch, at the most novice level in competing that happens
  • press forward
  • ref breaks
  • repeat

BUT what if you're in the streets where @spacetime comes from and there is no referee to break it up? how do you ever get out of the clinch? Or do you just brawl against a guy who knows how to use knee and elbows as well as kicks and punches....

BUT what if you're in the streets where @spacetime comes from and there is no referee to break it up? how do you ever get out of the clinch? Or do you just brawl against a guy who knows how to use knee and elbows as well as kicks and punches....
Just trip and land in top. Everything is legal on teh steeyz

• press forward
  • ref breaks
  • repeat

I was talking about against Raymond Daniels style fighters

The block you mentioned is done in MT as well. I would figure the catch and counter techniuques to kicks is probably the same across the board. Heres a kyokushin video demonstrating a bunch of kick counters, they are the same in MT as well.

never seen a kick caught like that in MT, only ever seen it done one way...and a lot of the time it seems like they eat it when they do it

Back