Technical questions - what to do after I catch my opponent's leg?

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys

Been having some difficulty dealing with what happens after I catch my opponent's kick.

For starters, once I catch my opponent's leg, they immediately start punching me. As a solution, my coach tells me to elevate my opponent's leg and to lean back so they'll be off balanced. However, this doesn't seem to be working for me as I find tugging the leg up (so that its pretty much smothered by my armpit) doesn't really off balance my opponent - maybe this is because I'm short (5'7) and a lot of the guys I go up against are like 5'10+?

Second, the only thing I can really do off the catch (apart from punching) is to step back and throw their leg to the side. It works at the lower levels but repeatedly doing it means those with more experience can anticipate it - after I throw their leg, they are able to form a floating check so my follow up kick doesn't score.

I don't know why but I have a lot of trouble dumping/sweeping people once they have their leg caught. I spar with bigger guys and their supporting leg remains strong even when one-legged...this is the case even when I put my arm across their chest and I try to push them backward with my arm.

Could it possibly be because I don't step close enough to them when I sweep? Or because I haven't off balanced them enough? I know how to sweep in theory so it must be small but important details I'm missing that is preventing the sweep from working in actuality.

Any tips will be very welcomed! Thanks in advance guys

Hey guys

Been having some difficulty dealing with what happens after I catch my opponent's kick.

For starters, once I catch my opponent's leg, they immediately start punching me. As a solution, my coach tells me to elevate my opponent's leg and to lean back so they'll be off balanced. However, this doesn't seem to be working for me as I find tugging the leg up (so that its pretty much smothered by my armpit) doesn't really off balance my opponent - maybe this is because I'm short (5'7) and a lot of the guys I go up against are like 5'10+?

Second, the only thing I can really do off the catch (apart from punching) is to step back and throw their leg to the side. It works at the lower levels but repeatedly doing it means those with more experience can anticipate it - after I throw their leg, they are able to form a floating check so my follow up kick doesn't score.

I don't know why but I have a lot of trouble dumping/sweeping people once they have their leg caught. I spar with bigger guys and their supporting leg remains strong even when one-legged...this is the case even when I put my arm across their chest and I try to push them backward with my arm.

Could it possibly be because I don't step close enough to them when I sweep? Or because I haven't off balanced them enough? I know how to sweep in theory so it must be small but important details I'm missing that is preventing the sweep from working in actuality.

Any tips will be very welcomed! Thanks in advance guys

It is not trivial. I tried it a few times against a high level guy and I couldn't get even get a hold of the damn thing. It's probably easier in Muay Thai since they kick in a different way but still.. It's much harder than people think.

A) Sweep the non kicking leg.

B) drag him into a long hook punch.

C) spinn him out of balance, and hit him with a solid body kick.

Thats my fav three things to do when i catch a kick.

thanks Frode - any tips for sweeping?

"Technical questions - what to do after I catch my opponent's leg?"

Just bang

It is not trivial. I tried it a few times against a high level guy and I couldn't get even get a hold of the damn thing. It's probably easier in Muay Thai since they kick in a different way but still.. It's much harder than people think.

I was pretty sure you've always said you're self trained and don't go to gyms....

Jump in with a flying knee to the body on the open side, it's Seksan Or Kwanmuang's signature move.
Hold onto the caught leg until your own knee is on the way, that way your opponent can't move or check in time and the only thing he can do is block with his arm.

Jump in with a flying knee to the body on the open side, it's Seksan Or Kwanmuang's signature move.
Hold onto the caught leg until your own knee is on the way, that way your opponent can't move or check in time and the only thing he can do is block with his arm.

<{yearp}>I think this is what Matt Thornton said is a fully resisting opponent.

When you catch the leg, push up and drive drive drive!!!

Back