1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE NOW, Click Here!

Technical Muay Thai fighter

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by DiPoet, Oct 24, 2010.

1. DiPoet

DiPoet White Belt

I'm interested in how to become a technical striker in Muay Thai, if that's even possible. Things like names and video clips of technical strikers in boxing/muay thai/mma is welcomed. Since I think I can learn something from every art that has stand-up apart of it.

Thank you all for your time.

2. MatrixMA

MatrixMA Green Belt

Start training with a heavy focus on technique.

But you say you want to be technical at Muay Thai, then you say:

"Since I think I can learn something from every art that has stand-up apart of it. "

I don't get it.

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Samart Payakaroon, youtube it.

4. DiPoet

DiPoet White Belt

What I meant by that is for example how over time MT incorporated Western Boxing so they had better punches. My belief is since MT took punches from boxing I can take stuff like footwork,slipping, etc. from boxing and modify it a bit to MT. Thats what I mean by I think i can learn something from every art that has stand-up apart of it, for example MMA has a stand-up part.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Samart was a WBC boxing champ and Muay Thai champ, study his game if you want a complete striking game.

6. DiPoet

DiPoet White Belt

So far I've learned these list of things from watching some of his fights.

-Pinpoint accuracy against openings
    -Creating openings with combos
    -Good defense, high evasion skill
    -Use of angles
    -Effective counter-punching
    -Maintain a consent pressure, but dont tire yourself out

7. FadeIntoViolenc

FadeIntoViolenc Orange Belt

Saenchai Sor. Kingstar, who is just technically AMAZING. No need to describe him really, he is P4P best right now.

Yodsanklai Fairtex, with an unmatched power/pressure game. He also has insane timing and perfect technique. There's a reason why they call him "The Boxing Computer."

Jomhod Kiatadisak, one of the best Thai fighters of this generation. Although retired now I would say his technique and timing were on another level in his prime, he made Ramon Dekkers look like a scared little girl in their fight.

Giorgio Petrosyan, he is a K-1 fighter and not pure Muay Thai, but his technical proficiency and power and unrivaled in K-1. Just watch some of his fights.

8. AXelator

AXelator Blue Belt

By learned do you mean you know you have to do them in a fight or that you are able to do them while sparring/fighting.

The first one is relativlely easy. The second is alot harder.

Also if you tell us your frame we can recommend fighters that fight in a style simmilar to how you should. Like if you're short and stocky or tall and skinny.

9. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

10. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

watching videos can only teach you so much, you gotta train man. go to a MT gym and start getting instruction from experienced people

11. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

My opinion, if you want to watch exceptionally good technical MT fighters, these are the guys to watch.

Giorgio Petrosyan, Andy Souwer, Ernesto Hoost..... I just think these guys demonstrate excellent technical striking even in exchanges.

12. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

You mean Kickboxers.

13. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

You can only learn so much from watching videos TS.

Find a gym and get work done SON.

14. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Yes, well put!

Agreed. You really cant learn anything of substance just watching fighters. That said, if you learn through proper training you will be able to take far more away from watching fighters because you will understand the application and reasoning for what they do or dont do. Not to mention, you will understand why they are as good as they are, and it will be clear the difference between a "gym pro" and a "pro fighter"

15. DiPoet

DiPoet White Belt

I noticed 3/4 guys were Southpaw, maybe that added to their skills to make them technically amazing? I've started going to an MT gym last week. If you can find fighters close to my frame I'm 5'9 147lb. Still were do you think I should start on this journey? Maybe there's a book or instructional video you can recommend? If not what are some specific questions to ask my trainers? I know everything has to be tested in sparring.

16. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

17. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

That is not technical MT, that is adaptive MT. Not that there is anything wrong with that approach.

18. DiPoet

DiPoet White Belt

You guys want to give a bit more input of where I can start? Like some research I can do on my own and things to try out in sparring?

I found this article by Sinister "Closing the Gap 101" which I will be putting into use.

19. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Yellow Belt

One week of training?

Common kiddo.... go train a couple of months and then start analyzing videos, you still have to learn the basics...

20. DiPoet

DiPoet White Belt

Jet Lag I've went to MT for months before, but I had an shoulder injury and have just started back.