"Teammates" Not Fighting Each Other

Cormier has to get a couple of wins in the UFC before this is even an interesting question. Kos and Fitch never had to fight because they lost fights to better guys. Rashad and Jones were the top two and fought. When you have the clear top two in a weight class the contender isn't going to turn down a chance at the belt. If Cain blasts Overeem and DC destroys JDS, DC and Cain will fight, no doubt.

not fighting someone because they're your friend would be absurd. not fighting someone because they're your training partner, whom you trust during your camps and with whom you work to make each other better, is perfectly acceptable. if you can't trust your training partners, the training will suffer.

perfect

Only a fool would think MMA isn't a team sport.

Try training by yourself in your garage and see how far you make it.

^Seriously

There are thousands of opponents out there, why would I need to fight my sparring partner?

I understand that teammates don't want to fight eachother, it's not a team sport but they are on the same team to help improve one and other, and most likely becommed friends. I wouldn't want to fight any of my friends. It's a sport but still a fight.

So, boxing is a team sport? Kick-boxing?

Ok, let's actually pretend it's a team sport even though it's actually an individual sport. There are many sports with "teams" and are individual sports. An example is track sprinting. Watch the Olympics. They compete against teammates to see who is the best in the world.

If the UFC is a team sport let's separate the teams, have a structured season and with a playoff.

^Seriously

There are thousands of opponents out there, why would I need to fight my sparring partner?

Umm, because he holds the belt or is in the way of winning the belt..which is why one fights. Or maybe because it's what the fans, the boss and rankings call for.

This ducking teammates shit is horrible for the sport. Fighters should fight the best available fight/fighter for themselves, the fans and boss.

What do you think of fighters who train at the same training camp who call themselves "teammates" and refuse to fight each other? Now it's being said that Cormier and Velasquez wouldn't fight each other. It's absurd. MMA is not a team sport! Suppose Cormier becomes the number one contender for The UFC Heavyweight Title? Do you believe he would honestly turn down a title shot? That would shortchange the fans and they'd also be shortchanging themselves by losing out on the amount of money they'd make from that fight.

Even worse, it implies that MMA is exactly what its critics have called it which is a barbaric fight similar to a fight between two roosters. We as fans tend to think that MMA is a legit sport. If it's a legit sport the champions need to act like it and take on the top contenders, even if they are friends. When a fighter says he won't fight a guy because they're friends it's basically saying that an MMA fight is to terrible of a thing to put your friend through, as if it were a streetfight!

traing together , being friends , knowing each others families and then smashing ech other noses does not sound so right to me. rashad and jones got into fight , so unless they get into fight, they should not fight each other.

Not sure what drugs the TS is on. Cormier and Velasquez have been saying this for a while, not "now it's being said".

GSP has said the same thing - he won't fight a close teammate because when it comes to delivering the coup de grace (finishing move on a downed opponent) he believes he would hesitate and be reluctant to do it, so better not to fight the person.

Considering I have known they wouldn't fight since I started hearing Cormiers name, this is a bad argument. :eek:

they're only hurting their careers

They're not just teammates; Cormier is his main sparring partner and wrestling coach.

I have no problem with it, as it is a fighter's personal choice. If Rory doesn't want to fight GSP, he will have to wait until GSP either retires or changes division before getting his title shot.

There is nothing wrong with putting friendship first. Loyalty is a good thing.

It makes perfect sense not to want to fight your training partners.

Not only are you often close friends with these people, but more importantly they are the people you trust most to help you improve. To get the most from your training partners, you must reveal all of your greatest strengths, weaknesses, tactics, nagging injuries, techniques you are most comfortable with, techniques you are least comfortable with, etc.

You do NOT want your opponents to have this type of in-depth insider knowledge about you.

If you must now start viewing your training partners as opponents, you can no longer trust them, confide in them, or allow them to have the complete understanding of you as a fighter that you should be able to otherwise trust them with, if they truly are your training partners.

It is a team sport in terms of training. I wouldnt expect some of you that dont train in anything to understand the camaraderie that goes on. Make teammates fight and they wont go hard. Just careful what some of you wish for. It will be a easy sparring session for the fans

So what you're saying is that one of the fighters should leave his camp and go somewhere else just to satisfy some strange "fans" need of fantasy MMA being applied on real life?

Umm, because he holds the belt or is in the way of winning the belt..which is why one fights. Or maybe because it's what the fans, the boss and rankings call for.

This ducking teammates shit is horrible for the sport. Fighters should fight the best available fight/fighter for themselves, the fans and boss.

Absolutely. If a UFC fighter doesn't want to be the champion he doesn't belong in the sport.

Besides, if two guys who are friends fight each other for a UFC Championship Title Belt, they're both gonna make a lot of money for that fight. If it's a great fight there might be a rematch, or even a third fight between them and each time they fight the money they make goes up. The more money they help each other make, the better friends they become!

You win this thread.

There are a lot of sacrifices made for the sake of your teammate training for a fight that the casual fan doesn't understand. That's done out of love and it's very hard to hurt someone you love. For me it's that simple.

pretty sure its a team sport, it just has individual competitions only. Name a current champ who's not part of a team

Back