Team Alliance Fabio Clemente

Soid said:
Umm.. I think Renzo's also makes you sign a contract, but most of us don't care. Atleast I don't.
of course not...its because we are committed

thaiking said:
Gene Dunn doesn't teach really anymore, he has a purple belt teaching from what I heard and read around some forums, plus he requires a contract which is something I am tottaly against. I commit to god and my family lol not a gym. so dunn is def out of my list

The vast majority of schools and gyms require contracts. Since most allow you to cancel if you move or get injured, I never understood why people have a thing about signing a contract.

By the way, good luck on buying a house, renting an apartment, buying a car, etc., etc. if you only to commit to god and your family.

no renzo month to month last time i called that was what i was told

buying a home or car are totally diffrent things. why would a I sign a contract to a gym? it has nothing to do with commitment. I trained muay thai fo 3 years at the same muay thai gym i was at, never signed a contact there. commitment has nothing to do with it. a contract it is only a form of trapping students into a long term payment plan nothing more. Very few contracts allow you to get out of them.

To get out f it you have to move a minimum of 25 mi away that is the norm on contracts. In nyc everything is within 25 miles, so if i move to the bronx i am stuck in a contract in brooklyn, i am not gonna travel from the bronx to brooklyn to train if he city is few stops away or vice versa.

dude Renzo's school has a contract, I train there, you don't.

I only mentioned commitment because you brought it up. Contracts are not just a way to "trap students." Maybe you had a bad experience, but that is definitely not true for all academies. For larger academies, it is much more convenient from a billing standpoint to have your students' monthly fees automatically deducted on a specified date as opposed to running around trying to keep track of who paid this month and who didn't. This is exactly the way that your average fitness gym (e.g., Gold's Gym) runs things, too.

In my experience, even the academies that use contracts may allow you to pay on a month to month basis, but you will understandably expect to pay a higher price per month than a student who signs up for a year. It's just like anything else. If you want someting more than the standard option, expect to pay a little more. Also, most academies want to work with the students and would rather part amicably with a student than end up in some kind of confrontation. If moving from Brooklyn to the Bronx is an issue for you, maybe the academy would agree to let you out of the contract. Anyway, I just disagree with your blanket negative assessment of contracts.

Before I started BJJ, I stopped by Machado, Clemente, and Renzo's for a trial class.
From a beginner's point of view, all three will provide good intructions.

I ended up choosing the school based on my commute and their schedule.
Price wasn't a big issue. Instruction and students didn't make a big difference since
I was new - I would've learned and got schooled anyway:)

So try them all out and find one that fits you.

I know exactly what your saying. Taking money from my account like a EFT is no problem, I just don't feel comfotable signing a one year agreement some places ask 2-year, I belive my cousin got caught into one of those at Tigr Shullman's he just got sick of training there after a year and he ended up paying off the entire balance of the contract in court.

deducting from my account without a contact is kool a lot of places dod that but I just don't like the 1 year aggreement because if you do brak it they will most likely take you to court. from what I have seem before

lethalweapon said:
Before I started BJJ, I stopped by Machado, Clemente, and Renzo's for a trial class.
From a beginner's point of view, all three will provide good intructions.

I ended up choosing the school based on my commute and their schedule.
Price wasn't a big issue. Instruction and students didn't make a big difference since
I was new - I would've learned and got schooled anyway:)

So try them all out and find one that fits you.

thanks bro, who offered more sparring or rolling from your experiance and longer clas

Siod

I am not doubting, I remeber calling before I moved from south florida and spcifically ask if there are contracts, the person on the phone told me renzo does not do contracts he does not want people there that don't want to be there, so maybe the person answering the phobne does not know his job, bcause thta was what he old me. Month to Month, the price, no contract.

thaiking said:
thanks bro, who offered more sparring or rolling from your experiance and longer clas

Siod

I am not doubting, I remeber calling before I moved from south florida and spcifically ask if there are contracts, the person on the phone told me renzo does not do contracts he does not want people there that don't want to be there, so maybe the person answering the phobne does not know his job, bcause thta was what he old me. Month to Month, the price, no contract.
Orrrrr... obviously he misunderstood what you meant. In the school you pay every month through a contract. As David Jacobs stated most schools will let you go if you no longer want to train. If you don't want to train, just let them now and they'll stop the contract. You obviously have a bad understanding of contracts. And don't ever compare TSK to your regular BJJ school.

Relax, what's the orrrr about, how can someone miusunderstand the concept of a contract? A contract is a contract, nothing more.

Trust me I have a very good understanding of contracts, some people are kool enough to let you out of them and some are assholes, I don't want to take a chance based on someone's word that they will cancel it it for me. They have the the right to sue you if you break the contract, that is the point of a contract to make an agreement that you will pay for there services for a certain amount of time, if you break it you have penalties ranging frm a small fee to the entire amount of the contract!!!

Who the hell are you to tell me what to compare!!!! I can compare anyting i want!!! Sorry, but Tiger shullman has a good competiion rep. so why you getting offended I belive they are the top school on the ranking on wins over Renzo's so Fu%$en relax!!!!

And

I was nervous about the whole contract thing as well thaiking. It almost made me not train at Renzo's. I used to train at a gym where I could just bring a check in every month and pay, and the idea of a contract made me a bit uneasy.

I'm glad I didn't let that stop me though, the contract they offer isn't bad, and you can opt out of it if you really don't want to train anymore. Renzo's is top notch, and my grappling game has improved vastly since training there.

It's always annoying trying to find a new place to train. I guess your best bet is to just try out free classes at all of the gyms your interested in (though this doesn't always help), keep doing your research of each place, and eventually just bite the bullet and make a decision.

Also, you mentioned you want to compete. Don't be in such a rush, you'll be ready to compete within the year, and you can always go and do a Naga or GQ on your own if you really want to compete before your gym wants you to. I used to be like that too, now I just take it slow, and make every session count.

thaiking said:
I know exactly what your saying. Taking money from my account like a EFT is no problem, I just don't feel comfotable signing a one year agreement some places ask 2-year, I belive my cousin got caught into one of those at Tigr Shullman's he just got sick of training there after a year and he ended up paying off the entire balance of the contract in court.

deducting from my account without a contact is kool a lot of places dod that but I just don't like the 1 year aggreement because if you do brak it they will most likely take you to court. from what I have seem before

I agree that 2 years is a bit much to expect from someone.

thaiking said:
Relax, what's the orrrr about, how can someone miusunderstand the concept of a contract? A contract is a contract, nothing more.

Trust me I have a very good understanding of contracts, some people are kool enough to let you out of them and some are assholes, I don't want to take a chance based on someone's word that they will cancel it it for me. They have the the right to sue you if you break the contract, that is the point of a contract to make an agreement that you will pay for there services for a certain amount of time, if you break it you have penalties ranging frm a small fee to the entire amount of the contract!!!

Who the hell are you to tell me what to compare!!!! I can compare anyting i want!!! Sorry, but Tiger shullman has a good competiion rep. so why you getting offended I belive they are the top school on the ranking on wins over Renzo's so Fu%$en relax!!!!

And
Then join Tiger Shulman's :wink:

I just checked out Fabio Clemente school last night. I git there late because I did not know how to get there, so I did not get a chance o train, but I watched the class and I think the school is great. Small classes 2 BB instructors (Fabio, Babs) no more than 10 people rolling and they do a lot of rolling everyone hs experiace in grappling like one guy is a sambo bb but a BJJ white another same case is a juso BB others are wrestlers and some with no experiace. They also have a muay thai pogram, but it is to beginner for me since I have been training Muay Thai for about 4 years so that did not interest me.

I plan to check out machado school in the city to see how I like it there tonight and then give Renzo a chance, I am saving Renzo for my last visit.

Cool, good luck with your choice, keep us posted.

thaiking said:

And
please close this thread based on your tiger schulmans comment alone. tiger schulman is everything thats wrong with martial arts and I mean everything. the reason they do well at tournaments is because you get points for every person form your team who enters and they enter about a million brats. I trained there for a bit, when when I refused to be brainwashed to their shit techniques and way of business they were all too happy to let me leave. No adults from their school fair well in competion, only kids. period.

LOL Matt, did I tell you about the kid who said he got a black belt in "Grappling" after 3 years from Tiger Schulman's? Most of the kids from their school had absolute shit technique.

Soid said:
LOL Matt, did I tell you about the kid who said he got a black belt in "Grappling" after 3 years from Tiger Schulman's? Most of the kids from their school had absolute shit technique.
no, but I saw an article about about a 6yr old that they just gave a blackbelt to...I bet she pwns

Back