Teachy Guy

I usually get annoyed anyway and than sometimes i realize he is right and use his tips and other times i just stay annoyed.

had a black belt walk me thru a triangle and bow n arrow choke the other night like i had never seen them before...... im a purple belt.

i just nodded and acted like it was a revelation. i was gonna do the Ryan Hall "stomp n curl" type triangle finsh and he was like "no, thats wrong, cross the arm and pull down on my head hard as you can....". all during a roll tho, not drills.

good times.
Why not just open your mouth? You know, "oh yeah, I know that one, but I'm trying X"... instead of acting like it was a revelation.

What are your thoughts on the "Teachy Guy" in class? You know, the one that when you are drilling with keeps making corrections. I have seen the guy that just got his blue belt correcting higher belts, and I have also seen the higher belt correcting lower belts. Even if they are right, its still kind of annoying, no? I don't mean giving advice every now and then, I mean after every roll or every rep of a technique. Thoughts?!?!
It's good if they are right. Like a higher belt teaching a lower belt.

It's bad if they themselves don't even know it and they teach you the wrong thing.

It's bad to practice/drill the wrong thing. So I would like corrections mid drill.

It's like saying the coach keeps correcting you while you're drilling. Cmon...you're doing it wrong so get corrected.

Why not just open your mouth? You know, "oh yeah, I know that one, but I'm trying X"... instead of acting like it was a revelation.

the entire roll was strange from the get go and the guy was being less than polite. i dont got time to deal with w/e his prob was that night. i just say yea, cool and moved on.

So you basically have T-Bone in your class?

What are your thoughts on the "Teachy Guy" in class? You know, the one that when you are drilling with keeps making corrections. I have seen the guy that just got his blue belt correcting higher belts, and I have also seen the higher belt correcting lower belts. Even if they are right, its still kind of annoying, no? I don't mean giving advice every now and then, I mean after every roll or every rep of a technique. Thoughts?!?!

Make him teach classes for "free".

The one that gets on my nerves is if I'm sparring MMA and I have my lead hand low to defend against clinching and grappling techniques, because I don't think the guy can hit me in the face, and someone keeps yelling, "hands up - hands up!"

This is why MMA training is a joke in most gyms. If your defense is predicated on your hands being up your defense is trash.

I appreciate people who are much better than me giving me tips. Not so keen on the guys at my own level who insist on coaching even though you're beating them. it's weird. I've had some even comment on the choke I just subbed them with "you need to get your arm further over...." - err clearly not mate.

I appreciate people who are much better than me giving me tips. Not so keen on the guys at my own level who insist on coaching even though you're beating them. it's weird. I've had some even comment on the choke I just subbed them with "you need to get your arm further over...." - err clearly not mate.
To be fair, sometimes I have tapped to chokes that were not set properly but were annoying and the guy would never move to another move or adjust themselves to tighten it up. I don't really correct people or comment on taps though. I just tap, reset, fist bump and continue.

To be fair, sometimes I have tapped to chokes that were not set properly but were annoying and the guy would never move to another move or adjust themselves to tighten it up. I don't really correct people or comment on taps though. I just tap, reset, fist bump and continue.

Yeah I know and sometimes I'll ask if the choke was a choke on ones I'm having trouble with but that's a different conversation. I dont mind someone saying "that one was across my jaw" as opposed to someone who you beat regularly coaching you on the finer points of technique

If I am running class, or wrestling, I tell guys not to to do that, even if its an elite guy going with a newbie. Trying to explain it a bunch just slows both guys down. If you dont understand how to do the move, let the other guy drill it on you 20-30 times before you ask questions. At least that way he gets his work in and the other guy gets a feel for something he was going to ask about anyway.

Don't you time you drilling time?

i try to not get annoyed when this happens to me because i think everybody can teach something and you can learn something from anyone. However, I rarely ever give advice.

I was drilling with a heavyweight blue belt last week who competes a lot (I'm a new brown belt and lightweight). We were drilling various gi chokes and the guy keeps instructing me over and over about how such and such choke is 'his' move, and giving me little tips on how to do it right. So of course whenever it's his turn to drill the move he is brutally neck-cranking me every time, and is completely oblivious to this despite my trying to give cues and hints.
Should have just said it's only a neck crank

Should have just said it's only a neck crank

I tried. After giving little hints like not tapping when he did the drill, or sitting up and turning my neck afterward, I told him he was cranking when he did it on whichever side. The response was a strong sense of disbelief, as though he was thinking "bullshit, I've tapped seventy thousand white belts with my unstoppable ninja choke."

Don't you time you drilling time?
I try to, but sometimes I give a block of time and dont split it. In wrestling, its much easier to split time because to be honest, most wrestlers, even high schoolers, know their sport more than mostt BJJ athletes know theirs. In BJJ, most practices are made up of hobbyists or people just training for fun. There is a much higher desire for new techniques, so splitting time isnt always the best option.

I try to, but sometimes I give a block of time and dont split it. In wrestling, its much easier to split time because to be honest, most wrestlers, even high schoolers, know their sport more than mostt BJJ athletes know theirs. In BJJ, most practices are made up of hobbyists or people just training for fun. There is a much higher desire for new techniques, so splitting time isnt always the best option.

Timeed rounds like 2 minutes one guys and 2 minutes other from what I have seen in our club tend to keep people more focused. A big plus for me is that I can work on something else in my time.

My favorite way to drill things is to just watch elite guys on the internet (Mendes brothers or Caio Terra) at home and just have rounds of drilling with a partner without technical instruction.

Last edited:
The worst is when you are paired with them for drilling after being shown the technique.

They got first. You are a good partner. Let them get their reps in. Maybe towards the end point out a detail they overlooked that the professor emphasized.

Then its your turn. On your first rep they stop you and try to walk you through the whole thing from the beginning. In the end they get 15-20 reps, you get 5.

Bonus points if they are the same rank as you.

I had the elusive unicorn the other day: Teachy McGee Stinky Breath... made for a worst case session. Promptly switch partners when it was time to roll live

I don't give any unsolicited advice unless it's something terribly wrong. And never to anybody higher ranked than me.

We have an over explainer in our gym... I think it probably helps him learn to talk through the technique. Most people just think it's annoying.

Back