Teachy Guy

drivesrf

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the "Teachy Guy" in class? You know, the one that when you are drilling with keeps making corrections. I have seen the guy that just got his blue belt correcting higher belts, and I have also seen the higher belt correcting lower belts. Even if they are right, its still kind of annoying, no? I don't mean giving advice every now and then, I mean after every roll or every rep of a technique. Thoughts?!?!

What are your thoughts on the "Teachy Guy" in class? You know, the one that when you are drilling with keeps making corrections. I have seen the guy that just got his blue belt correcting higher belts, and I have also seen the higher belt correcting lower belts. Even if they are right, its still kind of annoying, no? I don't mean giving advice every now and then, I mean after every roll or every rep of a technique. Thoughts?!?!
I was paired with a brand new whitebelt female last night. Was I supposed to to rag doll her or is it ok that I had her drill guard passes while "teaching" her?

I was paired with a brand new whitebelt female last night. Was I supposed to to rag doll her or is it ok that I had her drill guard passes while "teaching" her?

I'm fairly sure it was supposed to be a no-holds-barred match to the death to demonstrate effectiveness of BJJ.

Next time man, next time.

What about the new blue belt coaching purples and browns?

What about the new blue belt coaching purples and browns?
Never really noticed that, a lower belt correcting a higher belt. As it's usually a self correcting problem. Also you said it was annoying. I'm telling you I'm an upper belt teaching a brand new white belt. Can you tell me an alternative I should do with a brand new female white belt that's less annoying?

I used to be very teachy, untill I started running the class. (I now realized how annoying I was)

I will teach during class and while rolling, if the guy keeps making the same mistake or way to obvious mistakes I will correct him, its ok to have feed back while drilling, its actually desirable.

When it's an upper belt teaching a lower belt, I think it's alright if it's not a constant. i.e. I don't mind having big mistakes pointed out to me or maybe shown one technique I could've used in a certain situation. However, there used to be a blue belt at my gym that would spend most the time rolling just trying to teach white belts and it annoyed me to no end, to the point I would avoid the guy at all costs. Nothing more frustrating when I'm trying to work than a guy stopping things everything 30 seconds to try and teach me, especially as he often threw too much info at me an too short a time for it to do any good.

Boring day at work?

Are you at work with me??? Because yes.

Never really noticed that, a lower belt correcting a higher belt. As it's usually a self correcting problem. Also you said it was annoying. I'm telling you I'm an upper belt teaching a brand new white belt. Can you tell me an alternative I should do with a brand new female white belt that's less annoying?

I don't know your belt level, but I have no issue with what your saying. This really isn't the situation I was talking about. More so very close to skill level (4 stripe white, brand new blue), and the blue is correcting EVERYTHING almost to show their prowess.

When it's an upper belt teaching a lower belt, I think it's alright if it's not a constant. i.e. I don't mind having big mistakes pointed out to me or maybe shown one technique I could've used in a certain situation. However, there used to be a blue belt at my gym that would spend most the time rolling just trying to teach white belts and it annoyed me to no end, to the point I would avoid the guy at all costs. Nothing more frustrating when I'm trying to work than a guy stopping things everything 30 seconds to try and teach me, especially as he often threw too much info at me an too short a time for it to do any good.

This.

I dont give unsolicited advice to anyone after they get a blue belt, except fresh blues if they are making consistent mistakes like leaving their arms out or not protecting their neck... after youve been a blue for a bit, you're on your own.

Ill give white belts advice if they're completely lost while rolling live, but only simple, positional things as its easier to contextualize in the moment.

To be fair. If you have some stripes on your belt I'll go full on. If you keep feeding me your arm or neck I'll correct you.

If I am running class, or wrestling, I tell guys not to to do that, even if its an elite guy going with a newbie. Trying to explain it a bunch just slows both guys down. If you dont understand how to do the move, let the other guy drill it on you 20-30 times before you ask questions. At least that way he gets his work in and the other guy gets a feel for something he was going to ask about anyway.

I was drilling with a heavyweight blue belt last week who competes a lot (I'm a new brown belt and lightweight). We were drilling various gi chokes and the guy keeps instructing me over and over about how such and such choke is 'his' move, and giving me little tips on how to do it right. So of course whenever it's his turn to drill the move he is brutally neck-cranking me every time, and is completely oblivious to this despite my trying to give cues and hints.

Last edited:
I always appreciate when people give feedback. Best partner is the one who also gives the right amount of resistance. Worst partner is a grappling dummy.

There is a difference between running your mouth about a variety of moves and topics and alternatives, and helping someone learn the prescribed move.

The other extreme is just as bad - sitting there in top guard watching a guy trying to elevator sweep you while you are fully postured and not letting him break you down unless he does the prescribed posture breaking maneuver he didn't understand.

Or worse than that - throwing yourself on the floor and letting him think he is doing the right thing.

It annoys the hell outa me. Especially when you're the higher belt rank and you already know what the person is talking about

It annoys the hell outa me. Especially when you're the higher belt rank and you already know what the person is talking about

The one that gets on my nerves is if I'm sparring MMA and I have my lead hand low to defend against clinching and grappling techniques, because I don't think the guy can hit me in the face, and someone keeps yelling, "hands up - hands up!"

Teachy guy can be a really annoying mofo regardless of rank.

Let people just get their mat time in, and let the professor/coach do their thing.

I'm teachy guy with white belts, and blues if they ask or I can tell they are frustrated with same thing happening over and over.

However, it's usually short pointers - "control head before tripod" or "don't let elbow cross centerline "

Most everyone seems to appreciate it. Those that don't I just tap repeatedly and thank for the roll.

had a black belt walk me thru a triangle and bow n arrow choke the other night like i had never seen them before...... im a purple belt.

i just nodded and acted like it was a revelation. i was gonna do the Ryan Hall "stomp n curl" type triangle finsh and he was like "no, thats wrong, cross the arm and pull down on my head hard as you can....". all during a roll tho, not drills.

good times.

Back