Teaching Yourself Guitar

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by SummerStriker, Jan 15, 2015.

1. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I'll be talking about myself here, but please talk about yourselves so that we can all learn.

I started teaching myself guitar using the video game, "Rocksmith 2014" on the PS4, using my wife's electric guitar which has good reviews on Amazon and ran about $180 bucks. I don't know the brand off hand, but it seems to stay in tune well.

I have a question or two I was hoping someone could answer.

It seems like it is really important to get the tip of my finger placed at the bottom edge of the fret to get a good sound. If I put my finger near the middle or top, I get a lot of buzzing.

Is this an artifact of a cheep guitar or is that normal? I ask because in one tutorial or video I watched, either on the game or on youtube, it is suggested that you go to the bottom of the fret. In another, it described the method of playing a certain chord, which required you to place one finger in the middle of the fret.

I don't see a way of having it both ways. Either I need both fingers on the edge of the fret or I need to accept some buzzing. Should I just push on the string harder?

Thanks

2. MUSTKILL

MUSTKILL Brown Belt

Push the strings harder, if you're in the middle of the fret and you get buzzing that means you're not pressing firm enough on the fret.
    Make sure your fingers aren't overlapping any strings either.
    I taught myself using YouTube and guitar tabs. It's fairly easy if you have a decent guitar.
    Recently started learning the Ukulele, it's seriously an awesome and super easy instrument.

3. Phoenix Down

Phoenix Down Banned Banned

Don't worry too much about performance or quality. Play what "sounds" good to you. Write slow, learn your own music and develop your own craft. Avoid rocksmith, etc. Don't buy music sheets, etc.

4. Phoenix Down

And it's not always about pushing the strings harder. Sometimes your action is off, cheap strings, bad neck, loose tuning, etc.

To get rid of the buzz play softer.

5. Krav McGraw

Krav McGraw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You want your finger to be right behind the fret. A lot of it also has to do with toughening up your fingers. You're using new muscles and you also need to callous the skin.

6. BEER

BEER Resident Feminist Platinum Member

The Guitar Grimoire is a good set of books to teach yourself how to play everything from beginner-level stuff to advanced level technique and theory.

7. Seano

Seano Hands of bone Yellow Card

I really think you should try to find someone to give you a few lessons to get the basics down. I'm mostly self taught myself but I took lessons for a while to learn basic technique and some theory and it helps a lot. Even just one or two lessons can give you a big boost and you'd be investing very little.

8. 22k

22k ベルセルク Yellow Card

Nothing Else Matters is always easy & good to start off with

9. BEER

BEER Resident Feminist Platinum Member

This as well. I haven't played guitar in years, but my biggest regret was never taking lessons.

Same with drums. I got damn good at drumming when I was still playing, but even a handful of lessons would have made a huge difference.

And don't look down on the idea of taking lessons as you go along. Take a few to get your basics, and as you get better, go back periodically.

10. johnyboy

johnyboy Silver Belt

You need to be as close to the fret as you can get. Certain chords like A maj will obviously be harder to get all your fingers close to the fret.

11. Hatestorm

Hatestorm P4P Hottest Smelling Avatar

I've always been under the impression that you aim for the bottom of the fret.

As well as the sound, it will help make you more accurate with your fingering(lol).

12. Striderxdj

Striderxdj Black Belt

Buzz can be caused by many things. Poor strings, old strings, strings that you change tune with constantly, damaged frets, damaged or bent neck, may just need a truss rod adjustment, poor quality pickups, pickups that have shifted, poor quality tremolo, finger placement (residual vibration), and so on.

Finger placement closest to the higher frets (the ones closer to where you strum/pick) results in a more pure note, but its less necessary in a chord as you are playing multiple strings simultaneously and it can be difficult to have multiple strings depressed at the same time with close finger placements, especially while learning.

A quality guitar does make a big difference, although in my experience there is a huge difference between an entry level and one around 500, but from there diminishing returns are huge (ive played on PRS guitars that cost 5 grand and didnt feel worth nearly 10 times what I paid for my Custom Esp LTD)

13. Seano

Seano Hands of bone Yellow Card

Look at this guy's ring finger. This is correct. Just behind the fret. Not on it.
    [​IMG]

Its the fret that is changing your tone. The fret is almost like the nut sliding up the neck. It changes the length and pitch of your string essentially. If you press ON the fret, you're going to mute the string. If you are too far behind the fret, the string has more length between your finger to rattle and buzz.

14. johnyboy

johnyboy Silver Belt

If he's just starting out I doubt he knows what the action or truss rod is

15. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I'm ok at Google though ;) I looked it up.

Thanks for the help gents.

16. johnyboy

johnyboy Silver Belt

I need to learn a lot more theory, it would help improve my soloing by a lot

17. johnyboy

johnyboy Silver Belt

Lol no doubt, YouTube Marty Schwartz he is by far the best guitar teacher on the internet

18. Phoenix Down

Your interest in guitar will fade unless you begin to master the art of writing. I can't stress this enough. Don't be a cover band. Don't even bother learning other peoples songs at this point - Learn the chords, treat them as constellations in a night sky, place them, play with them, make your own arrangements and practice with veracity.

Some of the most famous songs ever written, ah, I could teach you how to play in a single evening. Bizarre huh? Teen Spirit was written back stage on a whim. It's not about speed, technical finger placement or advanced tapping. It's just about subtlety, passion and capturing a moment.

And a pricey guitar is overrated, I have guitars in dehumidifying cases right now worth in the upwards of 5k, some more because they are literally originals and exist as the only one on earth. You know what I play almost everyday? The 120$ nylon fender I bought in Lisbon, Portugal last year.

Before that? I'd rock my friends Jasmine. Before that? A shitty alvarez. Who gives a shit. All my friends who pride themselves on their expensive guitars are shitty players.

19. ziggs

ziggs Blue Belt

yeah man most efficient fretting location is almost right ontop of (slightly behind) the fret...barring an abnormally high action, finger strength for fretting shouldnt be a huge issue playing an electric because they are way easier to play than an acoustic.but when the fingers get tired then you cheat by fretting efficiently.

playing chords means sometime you fret where ever you can...so im assuming youre learning some barre chords and power chords. if thats the case id say focus on barring right behind the fret and just get your other fingers wherever they need to be...sometime one finger need to nest under another in which case you cant help but press wherever

20. A.A. Riggs

A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

Did you do any research into other guitars? I'm looking for a beginner guitar that would work with Rocksmith.