Teaching X-guard and Berimbolo to beginner white belts before the basics?

You arguably dont even need X-guard to learn BJJ. Not everyone is a medal chaser. I doubt the Gracies have ever taught Berimbolo and X-guard. COuld be wrong though

Last edited:
Orion's bjj program used to be run by Fabio Holanda (BTT) and he got kicked out when Tristar bought the gym (Tristar are GB.) Now Firas Zahabi is the new official bjj instructor, but when I went to try a class, a blue belt was teaching (blue belt in BJJ, but he's really skilled, just a no-gi guy.) While he didn't seem like a x-guard/berimbolo guy, maybe Firas is.

So I'm guessing Orion because:

Gym has just been bought by Tristar
BTT was kicked out
Firas is the BJJ instructor
A blue belt is teaching most of the time
Mostly white belts training there, most ranked people left with Holanda.
Their price is was TS said, about 1000$/years for BJJ/Muay Thai/Boxing/Wrestling (althought I've heard that there's no more wrestling there)

EDIT: I'm not trying to say anything bad about the gym or Firas Zahabi as a bjj instructor. I'm just trying to guess, and this gym fits the TS' description.

Last edited:
Orion's bjj program used to be run by Fabio Holanda (BTT) and he got kicked out when Tristar bought the gym (Tristar are GB.) Now Firas Zahabi is the new official bjj instructor, but when I went to try a class, a blue belt was teaching (blue belt in BJJ, but he's really skilled, just a no-gi guy.) While he didn't seem like a x-guard/berimbolo guy, maybe Firas is.

So I'm guessing Orion because:

Gym has just been bought by Tristar
BTT was kicked out
Firas is the BJJ instructor
A blue belt is teaching most of the time
Their price is was TS said, about 1000$/years for BJJ/Muay Thai/Boxing/Wrestling (althought I've heard that there's no more wrestling there)

oh shit i think know who you're talking about... Was the guy's first name David ?

Bullshit thread.

No one only teach berimbolo and x guard for 2 months to white belts.

For the record, I consider berimbolo and x guard as part of the basics.

The only basic to ever teach, no of course.

our instructor taught us dlr & rdlr for a couple weeks. everyone was a whitebelt.

point to the times i have been wrong.

what makes more sense, one troll doing this shit over and over again hiding behind a proxy or a 1000 new people trolling here using the same two troll personalities to argue with each other?

i would say 90% of the time i call an account silverD that account is banned within a month.

MacM, and now. SilverD always posted in the same voice. Not this guy at all. MacM wasn't a troll, just kind of a dimwit.

It's pretty clearly an alt account of chaps. he posted in character as TheWarlock without logging out of the Chaps account on the first page and was quoted before remembering to edit his post. I was going to comment but someone else ninjaed me to save it.

So yes troll, no SilverD

I think you might be overreacting a little. We don't know the whole story here. The transition period could be a bit bumpy, you can't expect it to go smoothly for the first few months.

Perhaps the instructor is already booked for a bunch of seminars and havent gotten the chance to gauge the level of bjj in his class. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being exposed to these techniques for now. Maybe next month they will split beginner and advanced classes. You will never know!

Instead of complaining to sherdog you should just have a conversation with the instructor/ manager. But don't be confrontational about it. Just ask whats going on.

Wow that sounds horrible, what a bunch of selfish blue belts honestly shame on them. Sounds like they could care less about the white belts progression and are only doing things they are interested in. It really makes me mad that these blue belts were white belts one time but don't have the decency to pay back the BJJ community by helping out some people who are passionate of and anxious to learn the art. If I was in charge I would tell the blue belts to hit the road and go practice x guard in they're garage. As a coloured belt I feel it's part of your duty to help new white belts learn the basics and feel involved and welcomed in the BJJ community. A little friendliness and support goes a long way. You can make some real friends in the gym and maybe one day you"ll need they're support ,regardless of rank.

Maybe your coach is trying the Mr. Miyagi method of making you do a repetitive task over and over again to teach you a greater lesson in the end that you can't possibly understand right now. At the next All Valley tournament, you'll probably get badly beaten by the Kobra Kai students until the final round where you magically make a come back with some X-guard wizardry.

...I'm not a great guard puller, but guys just don't have a clue that it is an advantage for the person that flops to their back and can easily wrap their legs around the newb's waist.

What is painfully obvious for most Sherdoggers over here, would be incredibly enlightening to most of us.

Here's a lesson your coach should have taught you on day one: guard bottom is not an advantageous position in a fight. It's a neutral position at best in BJJ, and a disadvantageous position in MMA. Don't aspire to be a great guard puller, aspire to dictate position in the fight.

Here are a few other basics you should learn ASAP:

1. Be the guy on top. If you end up in guard, fight to get on top. I know, lots of people like to play guard, and some are pretty dang good at it, but a good guard passing game trumps a good guard every time.

2. Develop good posture. If you're looking at the floor, you're looking in the wrong direction.

3. Learn how to wrestle and practice every day if you can help it. If your coach won't or can't teach you how to fight for position, get on the mat with another guy in your class afterward and spend some time on that. Start on your feet and work toward a goal like side control, mount, or back mount. If you don't know what those are, google them.

4. Learn use your hooks and grips. Underhooks, overhooks, butterfly hooks, whizzer, collar ties, reverse collar ties, two on one grips, etc... If you're working with a gi, learn how to break your opponent's grips look that stuff up on youtube if your coach won't teachIf you're working with a gi, learn how to break your opponent's grips. look that stuff up on youtube if your coach won't teach.

5. Learn the leverage points on the body and how to control them: back of the head, just above the elbow under the triceps, the ankle, the crook of the knee, etc...

6. Don't stress out because you're not learning submission right away. Position is 1000 times more important. Remember, position, then attack. That's rule #1 for all combat sports.

Maybe your coach is trying the Mr. Miyagi method of making you do a repetitive task over and over again to teach you a greater lesson in the end that you can't possibly understand right now. At the next All Valley tournament, you'll probably get badly beaten by the Kobra Kai students until the final round where you magically make a come back with some X-guard wizardry.

Here's a lesson your coach should have taught you on day one: guard bottom is not an advantageous position in a fight. It's a neutral position at best in BJJ, and a disadvantageous position in MMA. Don't aspire to be a great guard puller, aspire to dictate position in the fight.

Here are a few other basics you should learn ASAP:

1. Be the guy on top. If you end up in guard, fight to get on top. I know, lots of people like to play guard, and some are pretty dang good at it, but a good guard passing game trumps a good guard every time.

2. Develop good posture. If you're looking at the floor, you're looking in the wrong direction.

3. Learn how to wrestle and practice every day if you can help it. If your coach won't or can't teach you how to fight for position, get on the mat with another guy in your class afterward and spend some time on that. Start on your feet and work toward a goal like side control, mount, or back mount. If you don't know what those are, google them.

4. Learn use your hooks and grips. Underhooks, overhooks, butterfly hooks, whizzer, collar ties, reverse collar ties, two on one grips, etc... If you're working with a gi, learn how to break your opponent's grips look that stuff up on youtube if your coach won't teachIf you're working with a gi, learn how to break your opponent's grips. look that stuff up on youtube if your coach won't teach.

5. Learn the leverage points on the body and how to control them: back of the head, just above the elbow under the triceps, the ankle, the crook of the knee, etc...

6. Don't stress out because you're not learning submission right away. Position is 1000 times more important. Remember, position, then attack. That's rule #1 for all combat sports.

This post should be etched into bronze. Humor 10/10. Content 10/10.

Last edited by a moderator:
He would have to teach the basics first. I didnt start learning x guard until my 2nd year of training.

It is very irresponsible to have a student do a berimbolo but can't escape the mount.

Back