Teaching a class

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bruce Calavera, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

If you were to teach a nogi class to newer students (Whites with 1-3 stripes) with a technique specific warmup and about 2-3 techniques how would it go? What concepts would you emphasis?

2. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

we dont' really do alot of technique specific warmups, but sometimes i will have guys do this:

starting from guard, bottom uses a sweep (scissor or pendulum or hip bump, one sweep is assigned for a certain number of reps) to go to mount, mounted person now uses a mount escape to get back to guard, repeat for time or reps. i like that sequence alot, because it is a good flow, and gets you used to escaping mount and immediately looking to sweep.

as far as concepts, on the sweep, i emphasize controlling posture, and creating space, on the escape, i emphasize immediacy of action, the sooner you start your escape, the easier it will be, the same with the sweep.

3. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

Also, as a variation on BSFT's, instead of using hip escapes to get out from under mount, go mount > upa to guard > pass guard to mount > bottom guy repeats.