teachers have to get second job in oklahoma

Given how many teachers out west end up banging students I guess there's always the fringe benefits of teaching....

Last edited:
What do you think is the biggest reason for this? Do you think it is due to tax and spending systems in state and fed gov't not being generous enough or bureaucracy being too big?

"A deepening budget crisis here has forced schools across the Sooner State to make painful decisions.

But funding for classrooms has been shrinking for years in this deep-red state as lawmakers have cut taxes, slicing away hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue in what some Oklahomans consider a cautionary tale about the real-life consequences of the small-government approach favored by Republican majorities in Washington and statehouses nationwide.

Democrats helped pass bipartisan income tax cuts from 2004 to 2008. Republicans — who have controlled the legislature since 2009 and governorship since 2011 — have cut income taxes further and also significantly lowered taxes on oil and gas production."

Story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...1f359183e8c_story.html?utm_term=.37c86af1853b

most of the public sectors employees I know haven't got a raise in 5+ years either, one of the negatives of working in that sector

security and benefits are generally phenomenal tho

Teaching seems like such an awful profession. You go to college for 4 years, rack up studwnt debt, just to make shit money, have to spend all day on your feet, dealing with dickhead kids.

Teaching seems like such an awful profession. You go to college for 4 years, rack up studwnt debt, just to make shit money, have to spend all day on your feet, dealing with dickhead kids.

Pretty much nailed it here. Education must be funded more. But the right has been putting a strangle-hold on public education for what feels like my entire life. Don't get me started on school vouchers......Privatize!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen articles in the past about reforming schools, using computer internet schooling for kids. Fewer teachers would be needed if that idea was used. I'm sure it wouldn't be popular with teacher understandably, but if the state has troubling paying it might be a way to teach kids.

They should privatise the education there. Give parents a choice ... then watch the quality of education go up.
So what about the parents who can’t afford private education? Education quality is one thing that shouldn’t be compromised because of wealth. Otherwise you have a bunch of future drains and criminals.

https://boingboing.net/2018/02/07/this-is-not-ok.html
"In 1992, Oklahoma passed a ballot initiative saying that the state could only raise taxes with a three quarters majority in the state assembly, creating a one-way ratchet where every tax cut becomes effectively permanent, including the sweetheart deals cut for frackers and the deep cuts to taxes on the wealthiest residents of the state.

As a result, the state is going broke. Teachers haven't gotten a raise in 10 years and the only way they can afford to accept the pay -- third-worst in the nation -- is by negotiating a four-day school week in 90 districts, freeing teachers up to take jobs at Walmart on Mondays to make ends meet."
who needs education anyway?
Teachers have been working seconds jobs since like literally forever, you gullible twat.

E01-Pilot.mkv_001227353.jpg

My wife is a teacher, she started at like 55,000$, and by the time she retires will end up making over 100,000$. We live in Massachusetts, and she teaches in a wealthy suburb. Massachusetts students are extremely highly ranked worldwide.

Let's not go completely nuts here... I know an elementary school music teacher in Western New York who came out of college making 60K a year. And that's for 9 months work. Not exactly chopped liver. And she loves her job.

Wasn't this the norm?

When I was a kid, my 5th and 6th grade teachers owned a housing painting business during the summers.

As I got older, many of my teachers worked as exam raters outside of their teaching duties.

I'm just glad I'm not in Oklahoma and hopefully never will be

Let's not go completely nuts here... I know an elementary school music teacher in Western New York who came out of college making 60K a year. And that's for 9 months work. Not exactly chopped liver. And she loves her job.

When I first started as a teacher, I made significantly less money as that.

However, it was at a boarding school. So, all of my expenses were covered:

- Housing
- Meals
- I used the gym on campus.
- I only went shopping, to the movies, etc. when I was on weekend duty.

Then, during my holidays, I traveled.

I was able to pay off my college loans pretty early too.

I highly suggest those right out of college who want to teach start looking at working at a boarding school.

Back