teachers have to get second job in oklahoma

if 4 days is superior why not make it 1?
His hypothetical proposal is 7, yours is 1, so taking the average tongue in cheek school day attendance suggestions, we're back at 4. All is right in the world. :D

then do so if you want to know
Link's not working for me. I'll just go by what he says:

But just as Anderson says his research isn’t representative or predictive of all districts, Tharp says his conclusions don’t mean all schools using a four-day model will share the same fate.

“There are probably districts in Montana that are still holding steady, even showing some increases,” he told the Billings Gazette.

And stick with a 4 day week seeming to work.

Well they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get a real job then.

The article doesnt show how the 4 day school week impacts student performance.

if 5 day is superior why not make it 7?

The goal of a leader of a civilization is too keep the young masses busy as long as possible .
If not , trouble starts to brew.

Free college for the first 2 years will help .

Reminds me of that book Whats the matter with Kansas how Republicans vote against their own interest. So a ballot initiative in a every county Red State makes it so they can't educate fill up cop cars or house prisoners sorta like Somalia.

They can be prostitutes and teach their students about great sex. Their parents can pay for it. Lets face it, who better than your teacher? Dont they get a lot of oil revenue in Sooner world?
They did but cut production taxes from 7% to 1%. Lets how you do with a ~600% pay cut

Well they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get a real job then.

17ac484aa3f8cd965dcae16bb7930a8bd0fceefdad8cea8dec35086fe3dd467d.jpg

To be fair though I though everybody in Murka who wasnt a member of the oligarchy had to work two jerbs to make ends meet. Reminds me of that clip with Dubya talkin to some lady who was bragging about working 3....

4 days seems to work.

http://neatoday.org/2016/01/14/four-day-school-week-pro-con/

If you know of any research into 1 day school weeks improving performance, it could be up for debate.
I read the link and it's a mixed bag at best according to the article with the biggest takeaway being there are no ling term studies as of yet , there was this

"Tim Tharp, superintendent of Sunburst School District in Sunburst, Montana, conducted research for his doctoral dissertation at the University of Montana and found that student performance holds steady or shows an initial improvement for the first few years when schools switch to a four-day week. After that, however, performance plummets."

Also the burden of parents having to pay child care for that day is significant

EDIT : I see this has been covered somewhat

4 days seems to work.

http://neatoday.org/2016/01/14/four-day-school-week-pro-con/

If you know of any research into 1 day school weeks improving performance, it could be up for debate.

did you even read the headline to that? a new low in effort for links that dont support your opinion.

Four-Day School Weeks More Popular, But Impact on Students and Educators Unclear

That sounds like a thing proven to work to you? How about the rest of it where they talk about extending the school days. That sounds like what happens when hours have to be reduced? God damn, a little bit of effort before posting would make this forum so much better.

Teachers in Russia make like $150 a month and their students outperform ours in math.

Time to drastically reduce teacher salaries, IMO.
If you think the teachers are bad on $1500 per week, imagine what you’d attract with $150 per week.

did you even read the headline to that? a new low in effort for links that dont support your opinion.

That sounds like a thing proven to work to you? How about the rest of it where they talk about extending the school days. That sounds like what happens when hours have to be reduced? God damn, a little bit of effort before posting would make this forum so much better.
Maybe read ahead a little. It's only 2 pages.

Terrible..

I have done personal taxes for teachers ...and yea , the conventional wisdom is accurate. They make shit.

Often underpaid and often underappreciated ...

Teachers are one of the many unsung heroes

I'm in Oklahoma. I wouldn't say broke but with issues to be resolved. It ranks 38th in per capita income. Bottom 5 are: Kentucky, Alabama, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Mississippi. The teacher issue is definitely a problem. Not a day goes by where this issue is not on the front cover of the newspaper or the news. Not really sure of how things got this bad. Lot of children going to private school. In the mean time folks in the state Congress have given themselves a raise. There was a time when oil put Oklahoma at the top of the list.

The part about, "drunk drivers go free because there is no one available to process their tickets, and the prison system is on the verge of collapse." is bullshit. There is still a lot of 'oil' money (fortunes) in these parts, just not in state government's hands.

What do you think is the biggest reason for this? Do you think it is due to tax and spending systems in state and fed gov't not being generous enough or bureaucracy being too big? Public school systems and administrators not being accountable with budgets? Even issues such as too much emphasis on sports in rural areas? I mean, Texas to the south is known for the ungodly amounts public districts spend on sports, maybe that trickles to Ok and other states too?

They should privatise the education there. Give parents a choice ... then watch the quality of education go up.

Teachers meet bootstraps

They should privatise the education there. Give parents a choice ... then watch the quality of education go up.
Ok, but which parents are the ones who get the "choice"? The ones who can afford to pay a private school. What about the 65-85 percent of kids whose parents have no financial choice but to send them to public school? Those kids, and those parents, deserve for the state they live in to at least try to give them equity in education.

:rolleyes:

Wow, DeVos accidentally told the truth for once. How about that.

That segregation, that's what "school choice" advocates are gunning for. Your children will be in the bleeding publics and bum ass charters, their kids will be in the parochial schools backed by rich donors and soon, your tax money.

Outta sight outta mind. Call it "school choice" so the poors don't get any ideas.

What do you think is the biggest reason for this? Do you think it is due to tax and spending systems in state and fed gov't not being generous enough or bureaucracy being too big? Public school systems and administrators not being accountable with budgets? Even issues such as too much emphasis on sports in rural areas? I mean, Texas to the south is known for the ungodly amounts public districts spend on sports, maybe that trickles to Ok and other states too?
You are obviously aware there are many reasons we are where we are, but I can tell you the biggest one, as a news editor here: it's two decades of tax cuts. Those cuts made people happy because they saw a little more in their paychecks, and that made them pay less attention to boring headlines like "Gross receipts down for 13th consecutive period" that were foreshadowing the fiscal apocalypse.

It was only after 2008 happened, and the loss of revenue from oil and gas -- the industry most able to afford the taxes but the one Oklahoma lawmakers bend over backward for -- that we started to notice the cuts. And they had to happen because the state didn't have enough money coming in.

Add to that the fact that common ed was never held harmless when our Legislature was hacking at the budget during revenue failures, and now we have one of the worst public school systems in the country with teachers who have not gotten a raise in a decade.

My stepdad is a teacher who just moved to NOLA because the pay here is so bad. A lot of our finest educators are leaving the state.

Grades of Wrath it seems.

Back