Social Teacher asks 6th grade Student not to Make Trump her Hero for Project

I wonder what she found so heroic, that time he dodged the draft with "bone spurs" or maybe the time he bragged about walking in on topless minors being a perk of owning his pageant? I mean the teacher should let her pick whoever since she opened that can of worms, but I think this is probably more of an issue of the girl being influenced by her parent's politics and them getting pissed when the teacher shot it down so it's hard to feel bad for anyone.

Reminds me of the time my sociology professor asked us to name heroes and shot Trump down as one, but he shot down damn near everybody that was listed which was kind of the point he was getting across. Our concept of a hero in society is conflated with role models or influencers.

Yeah I was pretty surprised when she flipped out since I didn't think I said anything wrong. I went to school in South Florida, not some rural backwoods town in like Mississippi if that's what you are wondering. Most of the kids were Hispanic unsurprisingly.
Truth, that sort of thing happened a lot in the 80's-90's. Wasn't really controversial most of the time.

I was told last semester that I couldn't do a multimedia project involving politics. Ha. I wasn't even going to go for politics, but it lit a fire so I did.

Truth, that happened a lot in the 80's-90's.

I was told last semester that I couldn't do a multimedia project involving politics. Ha. I wasn't even going to go for politics, but it lit a fire so I did.

You’re in college still??? This makes so much sense....

Gotta love the wording of that title, isn't "banning" a bit of a stretch? Sure she denied her but that's like saying a teacher banned the bathroom because a kid didn't get a hall pass one time, kind of hyperbolic. But the right seems to love their hyperboles and victimhood.

Well, sometimes you realize in your late 30s that you fucked up lol. It's all good, been a great choice.
Average age at my school is 27. Lot of people go back too since a lot gets outdated since the time they graduated.

So here's the chain of information:

1. Kid calls mom and tells her that she was told she couldn't choose Trump for her project.
2. Mom goes into mom mode, raises hell with school and calls the media.
3. School says it didn't happen like that.
4. Child is, in the end, doing the project on Trump.

I'm not ready to pitchfork the teacher just yet. First, we don't know school policy, which might matter here. Second, this all hinges on the word of a disappointed 11-year-old calling her mom-mode mommy. When it comes to academic freedom, the kid should not be forbidden to pick who she wants, but that doesn't mean a teacher can't educate the student and encourage them to make a different choice (also an academic freedom issue).

If the teacher gave her opinion and taught the student about the president's disrespect for women, discouraging her choice, I'm fine with that as long as it's within school policy. If the teacher said "no, you have to pick somebody else" then the teacher has put the school in a bad spot and she needs to be corrected (but not by the entire country).
Not to mention picking the sitting president is the ultimate copout, she might be pushing her to think more too.

Not to mention picking the sitting president is the ultimate copout, she might be pushing her to think more too.
Possible but I think from the kid's reaction that the teacher was just anti-Trump and didn't want her to pick him because of that. I don't think the kid is fabricating the situation.

Possible but I think from the kid's reaction that the teacher was just anti-Trump and didn't want her to pick him because of that. I don't think the kid is fabricating the situation.
I mean the teacher had a point.

Sorry, but it’s just as stupid as somebody claiming they weren’t allowed to write about MLK or George Washington.
Believe what you want, I don't expect you to give me the benefit of the doubt anyway.

I wonder what she found so heroic, that time he dodged the draft with "bone spurs" or maybe the time he bragged about walking in on topless minors being a perk of owning his pageant? I mean the teacher should let her pick whoever since she opened that can of worms, but I think this is probably more of an issue of the girl being influenced by her parent's politics and them getting pissed when the teacher shot it down so it's hard to feel bad for anyone.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the fact that he trolled his way to the White House via twitter fingers and has half Of America so butt hurt on the daily.... kids love social media

Believe what you want, I don't expect you to give me the benefit of the doubt anyway.

I mean it’s clear that you want to push that false shitty liberal agenda that America is racist as fuck but that’s just not true and you were never denied the opportunity to write about Malcolm X. It’s a blatant lie and yet another smudge on your character.

Sorry, but it’s just as stupid as somebody claiming they weren’t allowed to write about MLK or George Washington.

I don't think public opinion is nearly as unified around Malcom X as it is around MLK. Malcolm was a much more polarizing figure. I don't find it particularly hard to believe @Kafir-kun's story here.

I don't think public opinion is nearly as unified around Malcom X as it is around MLK. Malcolm was a much more polarizing figure. I don't find it particularly hard to believe @Kafir-kun's story here.

I’m sure you don’t, you fell right into his lie and believed it. Sad.

Back