"Tea Party Liberal" Promises to Bring in a Blue Wave from West Virginia

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Richard Ojeda joined the Army because he says it seemed like the most reasonable choice he had growing up; his alternative options, he says, were to "dig coal" or "sell dope."

So he chose the Army, where he spent more than two decades. But when he came home to Logan County, W.Va., he was stunned.

"I come home from spending 24 years in the United States Army and I realize I got kids in my backyard that have it worse than the kids I saw in Iraq and Afghanistan," he shouts into the microphone during an interview.

And so in his 40s, he jumped into politics. Ojeda ran for the state legislature and won.

Ojeda may be a far-fetched savior for the Democratic Party, but this tattooed rabble-rouser is convinced he can turn the tide.

"We're going to have a blue wave in West Virginia that's going to make Virginia look like a ripple in the water," Ojeda said, referring to the big Virginia Democratic wins in 2017.

Ojeda's confidence might make a political analyst chuckle, particularly because Trump captured 80 percent of the vote in his home county of Logan, W.Va.

But Ojeda says people don't understand his neighbors. They're not Republicans, he insists, they're working-class folks looking for a break.

Seeing the support that the WV teachers' strike generated recently-- sparking similar strikes in other supposedly "red" states-- I think there is every reason to think that many of these states and districts could flip blue given the right local candidates, issues, and messages.

This is one way the Democrats can compete in "Trump country." To put it in words, we need some pipe banging motherfuckers. Red meat liberals.

img_0212-c3c29c2d2e63a4b600c95c3fb14d147b8f60729b-s800-c85.jpg

Last edited:
If he's advocating for the leftist economic/labor policies that worked for and on behalf of him and his West Virginia compatriots, then good on him.

That the Republicans looted and battered rural Appalachia and then scapegoated liberals/Mexicans/blacks and got 80% of their vote is....evil?

"But Ojeda says people don't understand his neighbors. They're not Republicans, he insists, they're working-class folks looking for a break."

I wanna know what the hell this break is that they're looking for, because I have a sneaking suspicion that if you go to WV and start talking about unions people are going to freak the fuck out. Same with universal healthcare, which would be a difference maker for a lot of the impoverished people he represents.

caedb5078319289394fde24982450077

giphy.gif

For real, though, if that's the entirety of your policy position (that people need to stop annoying you with their hurt feelings) and it's clearly hypocritical, you should maybe try to diversify your concerns.

Completely from a view on the surface, they left does need more masculinity and less pajama boy and skinny jeans. Optics matter

"But Ojeda says people don't understand his neighbors. They're not Republicans, he insists, they're working-class folks looking for a break."

I wanna know what the hell this break is that they're looking for, because I have a sneaking suspicion that if you go to WV and start talking about unions people are going to freak the fuck out. Same with universal healthcare, which would be a difference maker for a lot of the impoverished people he represents.
I think most of the "Trump voters" in places like WV are cultural conservatives, not economic right-wingers.

I think most of the "Trump voters" in places like WV are cultural conservatives, not economic right-wingers.

The entire base of cultural conservatism lends itself very well to economic conservatism, especially when you buzz those cultural elements to prop up the economics. "Taxes are immoral because Jesus tells us to give from the church" and all that. The entire message of what we call conservatism these days is in the "Protestant Work Ethic" and trying to take things away from people that supposedly "don't deserve it". It's kind of a problem.

West Virginians will vote for the felon coal exec who ignored safety regulations resulting in miner deaths because LIBRULS! and MAGA!

There's a perception there that the government actively forced mines to close under the weight of regulation, outsourced manufacturing, etc. They're not entirely wrong.

There's a perception there that the government actively forced mines to close under the weight of regulation, outsourced manufacturing, etc. They're not entirely wrong.

We're talking coal right?

Is this pre or post natural gas explosion? If after, they're shooting at the way wrong barn. Everyone took a bath then.

If before, they may very well be right. I'd love to see the evidence.

Sounds good but the link in the OP only leads to the photo of the guy you posted. Maybe throw in a link to the article?

Coal mining is a terrible job that kills people, there has to be way to replace it with better opportunities for the workers. Trying to prop up a harmful dying industry is just plain stupid.

Glad some Murkans are woke and finally admitting their country is a third-world zhithole being run into the ground. Props to Ojeda.

West Virginians will vote for the felon coal exec who ignored safety regulations resulting in miner deaths because LIBRULS! and MAGA!
Miners this, miners that...what about some personal responsibility?

We're talking coal right?

Is this pre or post natural gas explosion? If after, they're shooting at the way wrong barn. Everyone took a bath then.

If before, they may very well be right. I'd love to see the evidence.
One of the regions I service is Lima Ohio. I was up ther last year for an upgrade we gave them. You could shoot the walking dead there on a Friday at noon without dressing the place up. Those people were crushed by policies that let companies leave and send their goods back. Then you take away coal from other places that had nothing else. Then one party calls them deplorable. I mean how could they possibly not vote for them right?

One of the regions I service is Lima Ohio. I was up ther last year for an upgrade we gave them. You could shoot the walking dead there on a Friday at noon without dressing the place up. Those people were crushed by policies that let companies leave and send their goods back. Then you take away coal from other places that had nothing else. Then one party calls them deplorable. I mean how could they possibly not vote for them right?

"Take away coal from other places that had nothing else"

So you're correctly blaming natural gas for that right? Democrats didn't have shit to do with coal getting wrecked, fracking did. Hence my question what break they're looking for. Unless you plan on subsidizing coal further (a daft proposition), the ship sailed.

The entire base of cultural conservatism lends itself very well to economic conservatism, especially when you buzz those cultural elements to prop up the economics. "Taxes are immoral because Jesus tells us to give from the church" and all that. The entire message of what we call conservatism these days is in the "Protestant Work Ethic" and trying to take things away from people that supposedly "don't deserve it". It's kind of a problem.

If your economic liberalism is wrapped up in an attack on their culturally conservative values, they might perceive them as one and the same. Perhaps they wouldn't mind paying a little more in taxes if it wasn't coupled with top-directives on how to live.

How do liberals tell people how to live? Allowing abortion for those who want one? Allowing Trannies to use the bathroom they fell most comfortable in? 2 gays getting married?

If your economic liberalism is wrapped up in an attack on their culturally conservative values, they might perceive them as one and the same. Perhaps they wouldn't mind paying a little more in taxes if it wasn't coupled with top-directives on how to live.

You're going to have to elaborate on that, especially when Democrats are talking about unconditional healthcare and schooling and Republicans are talking about work requirements for welfare and tax cuts for the rich.

Back