Taylor officially 100% insane?

D 1 Wrestler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...or-fight-vs-sergio-mora-injury-another-arrest

what a nut job

woman said Tuesday that Jermain Taylor threatened to fatally shoot her 5-, 3-, and 1-year-old children, and that she knocked the gun away after the cursing middleweight boxing champion put the weapon to her husband's head in Little Rock, Arkansas, on Monday.

Toya Smith, 40, told The Associated Press that she and her family were having a good time at the city's Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade Monday when Taylor produced his boxing belt and asked to get a photo with her son. Smith says her family had never met Taylor before and that it appeared he had been drinking.

"He bent down to give my son the belt and he almost fell over and dropped the belt, and he thought my baby dropped the belt," Smith told The Associated Press.

She said Taylor -- who already faces charges in an August shooting in Maumelle, Arkansas -- produced a gun and fired two shots into the air and threatened to kill her husband.

"He put [the gun] up against his temple, I jumped in front of it and it went off up into the air," injuring her husband's ear, Smith told the AP. "He was going to shoot him, but I saw it, he was going to kill him and I had to hit the gun."

Smith told the AP that she and her family tried to get into their car and leave, but Taylor continued pointing the gun toward the vehicle.

"He was pointing at the kids, so I jumped in front of him again and said, 'Please don't shoot my kids,'" Smith said.

She said Taylor cursed, saying that he didn't care about the children or her and that he was going to kill her husband.

Smith said her son and two daughters were unable to sleep and cried most of the night.

Artur Abraham did a number on his brain .

Not sure I believe this story.

I think mental illness and boxing go hand and hand. If one is already predisposed combined with traumatic brain injury the results could be dramatic. If his cognitive functions are compromised shit like this will continue unless he's medicated.

I've watched boxers for many years, the men who end their careers are usually not the same men who started their careers. Brain injury causes people to do some strange, impulsive shit. Now, if he was drinking and a pothead too, none of that helps lucid thought. I never thought Riddick Bowe was the kind of guy to kidnap his wife at knifepoint either, some guys can't take the punches and stay sane. On the whole though, if you look at the many crimes committed by MMA fighters it's tame stuff. MMA fighters do some bizarre crazy shit, mainly because I think many of them never had any sanity to begin with. One MMA fighter cut some guys heart out, never heard of a boxer doing anything remotely like that.

I've watched boxers for many years, the men who end their careers are usually not the same men who started their careers. Brain injury causes people to do some strange, impulsive shit. Now, if he was drinking and a pothead too, none of that helps lucid thought. I never thought Riddick Bowe was the kind of guy to kidnap his wife at knifepoint either, some guys can't take the punches and stay sane. On the whole though, if you look at the many crimes committed by MMA fighters it's tame stuff. MMA fighters do some bizarre crazy shit, mainly because I think many of them never had any sanity to begin with. One MMA fighter cut some guys heart out, never heard of a boxer doing anything remotely like that.

Yes war machine and bully beatdown dude are pretty nuts

yeah, MMA attracts its fair share of nutjobs, probably part of the sport culture.

with that said, Edwin Valero was pretty fucking crazy

yeah, MMA attracts its fair share of nutjobs, probably part of the sport culture.

with that said, Edwin Valero was pretty fucking crazy

I remember hector camacho saying that he knew Julio Cesar Chavez was crazy "because all fighters are crazy", he was right, absolutely right. No one in their right mind wants to get punched in the head and those that do don't benefit from it. But there is a huge difference between the kind of people that I knew in Martial Arts/MMA and boxing, huge. Boxers tend to commit crimes of passion or economics while the Martial artists tend to be much more psychopathic and senseless in their crimes. I could tell you stories and it's one of the reasons I never really wanted to involve myself with dozens of guys in training who I didn't know, never liked the expectation in MMA that you should train with anyone, thought it was irresponsible and amateurish, it ruined any chance I had to have a career. What Jermain is showing here is the kind of goofiness that I've seen out of boxers who've taken too many hits to the head, just illogical shit because their brains are scrambled.

Dude went back to boxing after life threatening brain surgery

I would say he is insane

I remember hector camacho saying that he knew Julio Cesar Chavez was crazy "because all fighters are crazy", he was right, absolutely right. No one in their right mind wants to get punched in the head and those that do don't benefit from it. But there is a huge difference between the kind of people that I knew in Martial Arts/MMA and boxing, huge. Boxers tend to commit crimes of passion or economics while the Martial artists tend to be much more psychopathic and senseless in their crimes. I could tell you stories and it's one of the reasons I never really wanted to involve myself with dozens of guys in training who I didn't know, never liked the expectation in MMA that you should train with anyone, thought it was irresponsible and amateurish, it ruined any chance I had to have a career. What Jermain is showing here is the kind of goofiness that I've seen out of boxers who've taken too many hits to the head, just illogical shit because their brains are scrambled.

Oh I don't doubt it.

MMA culture has its fair share of intelligent, nice guys (GSP, Florian, Rashad all come to mind), but it's loaded with weirdos as well. Even as an MMA fan, I've always made a point to differentiate myself from the ridiculous crowds that attend MMA matches. I don't think that it's the "martial arts" community (assuming that you're defining the "martial arts community" as MT+TMA+Judo+BJJ etc...) but it seems to be a genuinely MMA exclusive phenomena. I don't know how to define it, but it's sorta embarrassing. I've heard of stories at Xtreme Couture for example where guys like Maynard and Hieron would beat the shit just to show how "alpha" they were. Chute Boxe was probably worse.

I'll say this: combat sports culture is in general dumb. At the end of the day, the reason a lot of the guys are there is because they grew up in an environment like Philly, Bangkok, Sao Paulo, or whatever it is and were probably deprived of the opportunities they would have liked for an education. Some are just instinctually violent. I remember Semmy Schilt talking about how in the Netherlands, kickboxing is perceived as the kind of thing that only criminals did. We all know that meat head wrestler, the screw up boxer, the TMA guys who take themselves way to seriously, the BJJ guy who thinks he can beat up anybody. But MMA is special, it seems to have distilled all of the worst of those cultures into itself. Hopefully it changes and becomes better.

you would be able to compare MMAists with boxers better than I would but while I like combat sports and practice them, Camacho is right, to be able to hurt somebody and to be willing to get hurt to do so takes a special kind of person.

For the record, my Edwin Valero comment wasn't made to challenge what you said, Valero is just a total wackjob.

Oh I don't doubt it.

MMA culture has its fair share of intelligent, nice guys (GSP, Florian, Rashad all come to mind), but it's loaded with weirdos as well. Even as an MMA fan, I've always made a point to differentiate myself from the ridiculous crowds that attend MMA matches. I don't think that it's the "martial arts" community (assuming that you're defining the "martial arts community" as MT+TMA+Judo+BJJ etc...) but it seems to be a genuinely MMA exclusive phenomena. I don't know how to define it, but it's sorta embarrassing. I've heard of stories at Xtreme Couture for example where guys like Maynard and Hieron would beat the shit just to show how "alpha" they were. Chute Boxe was probably worse.

I'll say this: combat sports culture is in general dumb. At the end of the day, the reason a lot of the guys are there is because they grew up in an environment like Philly, Bangkok, Sao Paulo, or whatever it is and were probably deprived of the opportunities they would have liked for an education. Some are just instinctually violent. I remember Semmy Schilt talking about how in the Netherlands, kickboxing is perceived as the kind of thing that only criminals did. We all know that meat head wrestler, the screw up boxer, the TMA guys who take themselves way to seriously, the BJJ guy who thinks he can beat up anybody. But MMA is special, it seems to have distilled all of the worst of those cultures into itself. Hopefully it changes and becomes better.

you would be able to compare MMAists with boxers better than I would but while I like combat sports and practice them, Camacho is right, to be able to hurt somebody and to be willing to get hurt to do so takes a special kind of person.

For the record, my Edwin Valero comment wasn't made to challenge what you said, Valero is just a total wackjob.

I don't really know quite what to put it to, some MMA guys I think have issues from childhood, maybe they were bullied or poorly parented or maybe it's just mental illness. I don't know. Boxers,like camacho, tend to do stupid shit like he did when he fell through the roof at a computer store, ended up peeing in the store. I can't see any real logic to that, or even any real malintent. He just wanted his computer back and not having any impulse control he just went and tried to get it himself. Now, in MMA you get that kind of shit like that guy who wandered off into the desert by himself and died and the other guy who was eating someone's heart. Personally, when you are working out and placing yourself somewhat at someone's mercy, you don't want some psycho who might bust your knee when you're just doing a drill. Irresponsible, but with money being the only thing the owners care about what do you expect? No kind of screening or direction as far as anything.

Evan Tanner didn't just "wander off into the desert and died". He was an experienced hiker and wildlife/nature enthusiast. His motorcycle ran out of gas and he eventually died, leaving enough water at his camp site to sustain him.

Making out that he was just some fruit loop who drifted off into the desert and died is silly.

Evan Tanner didn't just "wander off into the desert and died". He was an experienced hiker and wildlife/nature enthusiast. His motorcycle ran out of gas and he eventually died, leaving enough water at his camp site to sustain him.

Making out that he was just some fruit loop who drifted off into the desert and died is silly.

sorry you feel that way, it just seemed a bizarre thing to do, something wasn't right. I think he was on some sort of wierd, spirtitual quest. Either way, it was odd to me. But so are boxers who end up peeing their pants, getting paranoid or otherwise not right in the head. Overall, the MMA guys get further out there, no denying it.

sorry you feel that way, it just seemed a bizarre thing to do, something wasn't right. I think he was on some sort of wierd, spirtitual quest. Either way, it was odd to me. But so are boxers who end up peeing their pants, getting paranoid or otherwise not right in the head. Overall, the MMA guys get further out there, no denying it.

It's no more bizarre than hill walking or camping out in the woods. Being a fighter doesn't mean that he was a weirdo because of that. Millions of people like to go on nature treks and get away from "life". Personally, I find folk who would rather be in a city weird.

As for Tanner? Again, not a weirdo. A guy who got himself sober just from sheer willpower. (I'd say the alcoholics and roid 'ragers are more out there.) He liked to spend time in nature and found it peaceful. He liked to try new challenging treks. Nothing crazy there. Leaving his water behind was an odd mistake given his experience, but it's easy to miscalculate how quickly you end up dehydrated.

Back