Economy Tax Cuts come home. 25% less getting a refund.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by MikeMcMann, Feb 11, 2019.

1. SBJJ

SBJJ Gold Belt

TS is one of those people

He can not grasp the simple concept of how taxes are paid

2. August West

August West Brown Belt

Driving home today I listened to some Progress on SiriusXM. Liberal callers from Connecticut, New York, New Jersey all calling in with the same complaint. Their $6K(!!!) refund from last year gone this year. No doubt a large part of this due to no longer being able to deduct state and local taxes.

Fuck em and all blue state pukes. The host, Michael Signorelli, was telling callers how they got to talk to their Trump supporting friends in these states and get them to change their vote. I was think “you retard, like anyone in CT, NY, NJ supports Trump or enough to swing the state red anyways!”

They need to vote out their local Democrats who saddle them with a high tax bill.

Staph infection likes this.
  3. cincymma79

cincymma79 Silver Belt

Can’t we get to five threads on this?

4. waiguoren

waiguoren Silver Belt

NBC has been pushing the narrative, so it's not surprising that uninformed Sherbros are losing their cool.

See:

Under new Trump tax code, average refund is 8.4 percent smaller

Frustrated taxpayers are using the hashtag #GOPTaxScam to vent about their smaller than expected tax refunds.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna970066

@Jack V Savage (media bias)

5. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Not seeing how this is an example of media bias. But I think the Klobuchar and Warren coverage has been extremely biased. Comically so, actually. It's already clear that they're getting the Clinton treatment.

Sano and MilesAbove like this.
  6. waiguoren

waiguoren Silver Belt

Try harder. You are smart enough to figure this out.

I think the Warren coverage has been biased in the clickbait direction. In particular, the Native American thing is great for clicks but (in my opinion) it does not serve the public interest to cover it so extensively. Warren is very unlikely to get the nomination anyway.

I'm not seeing evidence of bias in the Klobuchar coverage. The coverage I've seen has been entirely neutral or positive with the sole exception of that Huffington Post article about her alleged treatment of her staff. That can't be evidence of MSM bias because Huffington Post is not part of the MSM.

I'm not getting into this with you now because it will take too much time. I don't agree that the mainstream media's net treatment of Hillary Clinton was unfair during the 2016 campaign. Quick example would be MSM's almost non-existent coverage of the Rajiv Fernando scandal.

Warlord Palis likes this.
  7. PEB

PEB Atomic Butt Drop Champ :)

8. bobgeese

bobgeese Silver Belt

ITT liberals pretend they’re accountants.

9. Jack V Savage

I can figure out where you're coming from, but your position seems obviously wrong to me.

Sure, "clickbait" is the biggest driver of bias, but interestingly, the "clickbaity" stuff supplanting serious coverage seems to happen much more to liberal politicians (possibly because the ref-working by Republicans has the media scared). And the staff thing is all over--NY Mag, Politico, the Washington Examiner, WaPo, AP wires, etc. It's a "scandal" that wouldn't get any attention at all if she were a Republican (or a male).

Unless you believe that Clinton taking shortcuts with IT security was by far the most important issue in the 2016 presidential election, I think you have to admit that the MSM was biased against her. Just as the MSM is portraying Warren as the fake NA candidate, Clinton was portrayed by the MSM as the email candidate. The fact that some nutter theory circulated on Breitbart and other disreputable sites didn't also get wall-to-wall coverage doesn't really affect that.

10. KONG-D'SNT-TAP

KONG-D'SNT-TAP Yellow Card Yellow Card

Yeah fuck the states that pay for the entire country.

You’re such an ungrateful bum. Slapping the hand that feeds your bum state s

Revolver and Sohei like this.
  11. KONG-D'SNT-TAP

KONG-D'SNT-TAP Yellow Card Yellow Card

No one thought these fake tax breaks would real,y help working class Americans.

Everyone knew this already

M3t4tr0n and Sohei like this.
  12. funcrusher2007

funcrusher2007 champion sound bwoy

Should always zero out.. people shouldn’t look at taxes as an end of year bonus.

redwire, TeTe, leto1776 and 1 other person like this.
  13. EradiatedHaggis

EradiatedHaggis Brown Belt

<LikeReally5>

So please show us how much the working class and middle class(same thing bro) gained under Obama...why did the middle class shrink under him. Give us a law passed by that Democrat super-majority under Obama's first 2 years that helped the middle class...oh wait, it was just him giving money to too big to fail banks and passing a health care bill that raised taxes.

[​IMG]

14. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Embarrassing thread.

Severe lack of "Shut the fuck up about American taxes, you Canadian!" directed at TS.

15. waiguoren

waiguoren Silver Belt

Why?

Framing a tax reduction in a negative light because it reduced tax refunds for some taxpayers doesn't seem biased to you?

Would you publish that story if you were an editor?

Agree.
    Disagree strongly. Doubt you can produce quality evidence for this, and the claim seems obviously wrong---particularly in the Trump era.

{<huh}

Other than AP, the outlets you listed are content mills and most are merely regurgitating the HuffPo/BuzzFeed story in non-prominent locations. How many of those outlets put the story on their front pages for any significant length of time? I'll bet none of them.

This regurgitation is standard for these content mill operations and not indicative of media bias. Featuring multiple articles on the story on the front page for a prolonged period of time would be indicative of bias against Klobuchar.

Poor use of "attention". This is not an issue that is featured prominently on the front pages of major outlets. CNN is not discussing it much at all. It's not an issue that is being discussed extensively among the professional commentariat. All members of NPR's panel yesterday attacked the Huffington Post for publishing it and suggested that this story indicates bias against female candidates.

Knowing a bit about you, it's quite clear that you are overly sensitive to this issue because you like Klobuchar.

It's possible that the MSM was unfair to Clinton on the e-mail issue. I am not an expert on that issue. However, their treatment of her opponent was far, far worse. Clinton has always been a poor candidate and managed to lose to Donald Trump of all people.

Disagree. Warren is a novice when it comes to winning the media narrative battle. She has dug her own grave with the DNA test and the apology. Really, supremely dumb stuff. She would do well to take lessons from Trump in this area.

The media is going to report on these things because Warren is handing them click-earning stories on a silver platter.

Clinton's e-mail situation was the subject of an FBI investigation. Therefore, the media was forced to report on it, particularly as her opponent was consistently making noise about it.

{<huh}

Hognoxious likes this.
  16. Jack V Savage

This is the story you're referring to, right:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ir-tax-refunds-shrink/?utm_term=.2e6180281142

There's no justification for spiking it. Could have been played differently. But the idea that there's any "bias" is stupid, a symptom of a sick CT mindset.

"Working the refs" refers to basically complaining all the time so you'll get favorable refereeing. With regard to the media, that's exactly what the GOP strategy is, and it's very effective. The MSM is always afraid of being accused of bias by the right and has no fear of it from the left, which is a major factor in the right bias.

Your description of those outlets is wildly inaccurate, and suggests that you've never read that. I recommend checking them out. Expand your horizons a little. Breitbart isn't a good source.

I think it's fair to say it's at least a "flap" and the primary lens through which casual news consumers will see her at the present time. Obviously that'll change over the course of the campaign if she is successful. Your attempt to dishonestly deflect by attacking my motives is beneath a decent person and obviously wrong anyway. Considering ignoring you if you keep that kind of thing up.

Your opinion of Clinton is irrelevant to the discussion, and obviously the poor news judgment of the MSM was a contributor to the election results.

Referring to whatever CT you were alluding to.

17. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Purple Belt

The IRS changed the withholding guidance to minimize the number of people who are getting refunds or owe. The result is that many are paying less in taxes but are also getting smaller refunds. It is better for those people since they were getting a little extra in their paycheck each week but didn't know it.

The people who are getting screwed are the folks in states with high local and state taxes because of the new limits in deducting those.

18. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Purple Belt

The swing is partly that the govt withheld less money even if the number of dependents did not change. This was an intentional decision by he IRS to reduce the number of refunds and in the best interest of the taxpayers because they did not give the govt an interest free loan and instead got a little extra in each paycheck.

lilelvis likes this.
  19. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

The upper tax brackets also changed pretty dramatically.

20. Cuzcatlan

Cuzcatlan Bénir Henry

People at work have been commenting on the taxes. People here make between 75k to 150k.
    Most are paying this year. Small amounts like $500 to 3k. Still it sucks because most haven't payed taxes in year. I still have to do my.