Tavoris Cloud vs Chad Dawson in the works for early 2011.

11b83

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Quick Hits: Tavoris Cloud-Chad Dawson bout may be imminent - ESPN

Light heavyweight titlist Tavoris Cloud and former titlist Chad Dawson could hook up in early 2011, Dawson promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com.

Shaw said HBO is interested in the fight that would pit two of the top 175-pounders in the world. In his HBO debut on Aug. 7, Cloud (21-0, 18 KOs) retained his title with a tight decision against former champ Glen Johnson in a hard-hitting scrap. Dawson (21-1, 17 KOs), who owns a pair of decisions against Johnson, suffered his first loss on Aug. 14. He dropped a technical decision to champion Jean Pascal when the fight was stopped in the 11th round after an accidental head-butt left Dawson with a bad cut over his eye.

Although Dawson has a rematch clause with Pascal, their contract allows them both to take interim bouts. When Pascal elected to take his by defending the title against Bernard Hopkins on Dec. 18, Shaw said Dawson was interested in taking his own.

"Chad can take an interim fight, and since Pascal is taking one against Hopkins, Dawson will also take one," Shaw said. "One thing about Chad, he doesn't care who he fights."

Shaw said he has discussed the fight twice with HBO's Kery Davis and that the network is "100 percent interested" in the fight for February or March. He said he has also discussed the fight with Don King, Cloud's promoter, with whom Shaw has co-promoted several fights.

"I think Don and Cloud will do the fight," Shaw said. "I think it's a very good fight. I think it's a fight that can re-establish Chad. In my mind, Glen Johnson won the fight against Cloud. I think he has an interesting style for Chad. Cloud will put a lot of pressure on him, and it will re-establish Chad again. We'll see what happens. I like the fight. I think it helps boxing, and boxing needs big fights. Fans don't need these guys taking on some secondary opponent."

Shaw said he plans to have more serious talks with King and HBO in the coming days.

Hope the promoters don't get in the way and this fight happens. Should be a good one. Looking to see how Dawson comes back after that lose.

Back