Tatami vs Vulcan-sizes?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Joakim, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Joakim

Joakim White Belt

Hi.

I am new to this whole SW and BJJ thing, but i have already found a sport i enjoy.
    So to get a bit more serious about it, i am looking at some Gi's . I have tried a Vulcan gi in size A5 (im a big guy, "BigJo" :p) and it fit perfectly. It was washed and used, so it was shrinked already. Then i tried a new BudoNord-Gi that was in A5,
    and that was too small.
    So in my mind, the Vulcan is a bigger size than the BudoNord, but how is the Tatami gi's compared to Vulcan, "sizewise"?

EDIT: I am not sure what model the Vulcan was, but it was a "standard"looking one with simple logos on both shoulders. The Tatami gi i want is the Estilo 4.0.
    Thanks.
    Joakim.

2. Opossum

Opossum White Belt

I just got a Tatami Estilo 4.0 and, while I'm an A3 in size, it was very true to size per their sizing chart. The before and after wash measurements were exactly in accordance with the expectations they give you. I've had 3 other kimonos and the Estilo is the first one I've owned where the measurements didn't vary so if A5 measurements look accurate for your size, I would imagine it should fit as expected.

3. TheMood

TheMood Green Belt

You should check out the size charts for the gi you are interested in. Here is the Vulkan website

http://www.vulkanstore.com/

Here is the Tatami website

http://www.tatamifightwear.com/

The size charts vary across companies and while they use the same names for the sizes(A#) the actual sizes are not the same.

4. Joakim

Joakim White Belt

Thanks guys. :)

5. Joakim

Joakim White Belt

I was thinking of what colour i could buy to comply wih the IBJJF-rules, would the Tatami gi in Navy be allowed?