Tatami Sub Zero vs Estilo

1PBCE1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
My first gi was the Tatami nova basic and after washing fit me perfectly, so I think I'm going to stick with them but upgrade. I'm 6"6 260, so it's lucky I like the brand as their A5 seems to be the only gi on the UK market that would fit me.

The nova basic was fine but I found it a little heavier than I expected. The Sub Zero sounds very light, but is it far superior in quality to the Estilo?

i don't have the sub zero, but the estilo is going to be a much different gi. much heavier, especially with the canvas pants.

I think I might go for the Sub Zero as I want something light - what are the disadvantages of having a light g i over a heavy one?

I train in Bangkok which is year around topping 90 at least with 90% humidity. I thought I'd love the light gis...and some I do (Bull Terrier and Kingz)...but some have felt kinda cheap after a few weeks of rolling. Honestly I don't feel that the Estilo is that much heavier than the "light weight" gis and I'd gladly take the extra thickness for better feeling gi. Some days I just prefer it.

I have the navy 3.0 and it's still almost as soft as the day I first wore it. I usually wear it 2X's a week for about 2 1/2 hours worth of class (so 5 hours a week). Colors haven't faded much if at all.

Some guys have the Sub Zero and it looks too light to me, but that's outsider view. I have the Honey Badger and Estilo and both are second only to a Bull Terrier for pure comfort (just wish Bull Terrier had better sizing for me).

Generally you give up durability and sturdiness when you go with a Light gi. More on sturdiness...I mean to say that sometimes the gi is more easily manipulated and the material may stretch some when pulled on. This was one of the issues I experienced with my Koral Light gi especially as it aged.

aesthetic do an A5 alpha i believe - good reviews too

I use 450gsm gis for competition, ease up the weight cuts. Train using 550gsm for that added weight. :D

I love heavier gis. I live near chicago and during the winter nothing beats putting on a double weave when you first walk onto cold mats for a morming workout.

I have both the estilo and sub zero. Both very nice depending on what you want. If you want a good lightweight gi that has a very nice cut to it go for the sub zero, I cant comment on durability as I have only worn it 4 times but its held up well and didnt stretch out. The estilo is heavier but the sub zero is really light, the estilo pants shrunk more than the sub zero but maybe thats because they are a canvas material.

Cant go wrong with either but for sure over time the estilo will be the more durable but you cant deny the lightweight comfort of the sub zero.

Hope this helps.

I have both the estilo and sub zero. Both very nice depending on what you want. If you want a good lightweight gi that has a very nice cut to it go for the sub zero, I cant comment on durability as I have only worn it 4 times but its held up well and didnt stretch out. The estilo is heavier but the sub zero is really light, the estilo pants shrunk more than the sub zero but maybe thats because they are a canvas material.

Cant go wrong with either but for sure over time the estilo will be the more durable but you cant deny the lightweight comfort of the sub zero.

Hope this helps.

do you find the sub zero soft?
and what do you mean by "very nice cut"? slim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back