1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Movies Tarantino throws Roger Deakins under the bus (Film vs Digital)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Drain Bamage, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

What do you guys think about this? Do you agree with QT?

(timestamped)

2. Luke Hand Cool Allez(oopsie)-Omi

'deakins' sounds like a nerds name, so tarantino imo

3. Thread Im Da Best Mayne

4. weed ベルセルク

5. Midnighter Silver Belt

Are you implying that Tarantino isn't a nerd?

6. Sakurabaism Black Belt

Deakins is old, give him a break. I agree with QT tho.

7. HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

I enjoy both guys work. This is a old argument, same in music: digital vs analog tape. Amazing work has been done on all mediums. QT is just nerding out.

8. INTERL0PER Brown Belt

I'm with Deakins.

He's one of the GOAT cinematographers and he knows what he's taking about. Tarantino writing it off as "Deakins just doesn't want to do the extra work" is fucking absurd. As if one is the greatest visual artists the medium had ever had is really gonna skimp on quality because he's sick of hard work.

I can't stand the ethos of sticking to old tech due to nostalgia. Nolan says the same shit and it's boring. If you like using film, fine. But don't tell me it's definitively superior. There have been many, many films shot on digital that look amazing. Plus it's far more efficient and cost effective, which means other areas of the film can be improved with the funds saved by switching to digital. This may not matter to industry heavyweights like Tarantino and Nolan, who basically have carte blanche to make their movies, but to the rest of the industry, it definitely matters.

It's the same argument as in music with digital vs vinyl. Even if vinyl does sound slightly better to purists, digital offers so many benefits (ease of production and distribution being chief among them) that's its a no contest, imo. Without digital, many artists around today would not be heard by anywhere near the same amount of people because the cost of creation/distribution is so prohibitive for traditional methods, and that's true for both movies and music.

I really like Tarantino's films, but every time I hear an interview with him, he just sounds like a bit of an ass. His whole argument here isn't even about quality it's basically that using film is way harder, so it's more... Authentic? Traditional? Impressive?

I dunno. But making something harder for yourself just for the sake of it is stupid.

9. Sakurabaism Black Belt

1917 doesn't look as good as Dunkirk which was shot on 65mm. It may seems like a pointless nitpicking to the untrained average moviegoers, but I'm a nerd so every little thing matters.

10. Luke Hand Cool Allez(oopsie)-Omi

[​IMG]

11. Uber_Noober Silver Belt

Guess I'm not into it as the rest f you guys, so my "I don't give a crap" comment will be kept to myself.

12. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

I'm a nerd too and I think 1917 is a much better looking movie than Dunkirk.

13. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

I tend to agree. I love Tarantino but he hates digital so much that I doubt he has even looked into it much. Saying Deakins "just doesn't want to light the set" was fucking ridiculous. Deakins is known for having huge, extremely complex lighting rigs such as this monster they used on BR2049:

[​IMG]

14. Law Talkin’ Guy The Worm

I fall into that category of not having a discerning enough eye to spot the difference.

Like I literally cannot distinguish 1080p and 4K. So of course I cannot qualitatively distinguish digital from film.

My eyes must really suck or something.

15. lostdog000 Gold Belt

i aint a film school guy, but if digital works great and no need to dick with lighting, do it. easier, faster, cheaper, better

16. Thread Im Da Best Mayne

Very good comparison to vinyl culture and this coming from a guy who still buys records and deejays(bedroom) like its the 90s.

17. BayAreaGuy Good Day

Tarentino is one of the great directors in terms of personality and listening to him talk. Thanks for posting. I need to listen to the whole thing.

18. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

QT on the M oh en e why

19. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Wow. I have to say I really don’t give a shit. Not like in a mean way. I just thought when I started listening to it that I would be interested. And then I realized I wasn’t. I guess because I’m not really a film buff.

20. Herwald Red Belt

Modern day artists live in fear and have nothing to say. Including Tarantino who's movies are shallow. And it goes to show you how little their worlds are when they're reduced to arguing over shooting formats.

More crap has been shot on film and the last 2 decades have been abysmal for movies. Nobody's writing anything. A storytelling medium with no storytelling. That's the real problem. Not your goofy formats.

That said, generally, I like how film looks a lot better. The grain, the flicker through the projector, all the little unpredictable imperfections... But shoot shit with it and it means nothing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020