tapping out higher belts

Dedicado

Machetero
Reaction score
I recently began BJJ after 3.5 years of Judo, I am a whitebelt with alot of mat time and I just tapped out a really nice guy at my new gym: Question- How do peeps react to this in your club?

The guy I tapped is a newly minted blue and this is the second time I got him ( he's gotten me quite a bit ). I know I am not better, but I just got tapped myself and then I turned up the volume on my buddy after getting neck cranked by a one stripe white belt.

Dude left the club looking like he was down, the other guy ( who is the largest man in the club ) left on cloud 9, I wish I'd gotten him instead, anyone feel this?

no. People put WAY too much on the "I tapped 3 people tonight!!" Its called training. If your not tapping once in awhille, your not training right. If the other guy is down about it, then he need to c/k his ego at the door and suck it up. you need to learn what not to do just as much as what to do.

Dedicado said:
I recently began BJJ after 3.5 years of Judo, I am a whitebelt with alot of mat time and I just tapped out a really nice guy at my new gym: Question- How do peeps react to this in your club?

Well... My head instructor thought it was great. The kid I faced though, didn't end up liking me too much. Besides that, no problem.

Dedicado said:

The guy I tapped is a newly minted blue and this is the second time I got him ( he's gotten me quite a bit ). I know I am not better, but I just got tapped myself and then I turned up the volume on my buddy after getting neck cranked by a one stripe white belt.

Dude left the club looking like he was down, the other guy ( who is the largest man in the club ) left on cloud 9, I wish I'd gotten him instead, anyone feel this?
No. Tapping a higher belt in sparring means nothing. I try out moves I'm not good at, I give bad positions out like candies, and I just practice.

Now, if you did it convincingly in a tournament situation, when you battle his A game...

tapping someone in training doesn't mean anything. It's just training.

Yeah, i mean, im 16, and a blue belt, been doing BJJ for 2 years, and when i fight new guys, i just kick back, and let em do whatever, of course i resist a little bit and i do give them positions so they cn work their game.

As a matter of fact, it was no gi night like 3 weeks ago...and i was just kicking back and takin it easy on my buddy, hes been doin it for about a year, and he slapped an anaconda choke on me...Me, being so damn proud and having too much pride, i didnt tap, and i passed out for a good 15 seconds and was shaking while i was out. I hate tappin on chokes...but yea, i was kickin back, just lettin him do what he wanted, and it happened.

"tapping someone in training doesn't mean anything. It's just training." ---- I CALL B.S. ON THIS WORN OUT OLD REFRAIN.

It's nonsense --- it may mean that the guy you tapped was just training and didn't care, and it might mean he just got caught on a bad night, and it might mean you got lucky, and it might mean you're doing well. It might mean you did better than him that time. People who say it means nothing don't know what they are talking about --- sometimes it means you got beat by a lower belt.

I've been doing BJJ for 3.5 years and I haven't tapped to a white belt in a long time -- that's because I don't generally allow it to happen. If a white belt does tap me, then kudos to him, for he must have done something right. When I roll, I don't just let white belts tap me nor does anyone blue and above, unless you are purely just training a technique. But when it's open mat and you are actually rolling to tap each other, it generally means something.

i go easy on white belts but i dont tap to them unless they've got me good.

johil d'o said:
"tapping someone in training doesn't mean anything. It's just training." ---- I CALL B.S. ON THIS WORN OUT OLD REFRAIN.

It's nonsense --- it may mean that the guy you tapped was just training and didn't care, and it might mean he just got caught on a bad night, and it might mean you got lucky, and it might mean you're doing well. It might mean you did better than him that time. People who say it means nothing don't know what they are talking about --- sometimes it means you got beat by a lower belt.

Exactly, that's why it doesn't mean anything. It's not like you agreed beforehand to grapple like your life was on the line. If you tap someone in a tournament or in a challenge, that is different but to tap to your training partner in training don't mean shit.

I might be letting you work or just focusing on working a specific part of my own game and get caught in the process. Thats a far cry from shaking hands and saying...ok mohterfukcer, lets roll!

tap whoever you can...thats my motto

conversely, ive tapped to alot of mofos in my gym so apparently thats their motto as well

its just training. the point is to get better in training, not so much to win. nice guy will get his game straight and be better. i found in training, you gotta have a short memory....forget the tap, remember the lesson.

i still contend, however, that spazzes should be tamed.

Egos should be left outside the dojo. Tapping people and tapping out is a part of training.

Generally when I work with new belts, I'll let them practice on me some, and I'll give them taps. They know that I'm giving it to them because I'm explaining as we go, but still, most white belts are absolutely elated that they got a tap, and also they learn alot about positioning and what to look for during a "real roll". I do this because I've been the new guy in class before, and I know how frustrating and just generally discouraging it can be to go 2-3 weeks without getting a tap. After I give them a few tips, I'll usually go with something like "Ok, let's really try now, ok?" The white belt is amped, and they really give their all, usually I'll let them get to a point and say "ok good, now when a guy gets you here, you can do this." and then move on to something and catch them.

IMHO it's sort of asshat-ish to tap white belts just to get taps in. I try to teach them what I know in hopes that they'll improve and I'll have another quality partner to roll with somewhere down the line.

You know, all bullshit aside, when a white belt taps a blue belt - It's kinda upsetting. Talk to the guy and explain to him that you've had 3 or 4 years judo experience. This will make him feel better.

It is upsetting to get tapped by a white belt once you turn blue. I've been tapped once by a white since I got my blue and he basaically did it becasue he did the arm drag to me and till that point I had never seen it used against me. He was able to take my back and sink in the rear choke. Was I pissed? Yes....But I got over it. I learned to protect from the arm drag, and on top of that, everytime I roll with the kid I usually destroy him so whatever. Just think of getting tapped as a learning experience.

Exactly. Getting tapped in training isn't life or death. However, it can be an unwelcome blow to one's ego, if it's done by a lower belt.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, leave your ego at the door. That would be nice to train free of all pressure.

Tell that to the guy that just got his new blue or purple belt. See if they really don't care about getting tapped by a white belt in live sparring.

Dude, I got tapped by a white this week, and hell yeah it is upsetting. I don't let white belts tap me, though I admit that I don't roll 100%. Still, getting tapped like I was, was a wake up call, even not rolling at 100% as a purple my technique should protect me, and I obviously got lazy with my positioning. I knew better, and got caught anyway.

That said, if you do tap a higher belt, expect to get your ass handed to you the next round of rolling. I turned it up a notch after this...

Ybot said:
Dude, I got tapped by a white this week, and hell yeah it is upsetting. I don't let white belts tap me, though I admit that I don't roll 100%. Still, getting tapped like I was, was a wake up call, even not rolling at 100% as a purple my technique should protect me, and I obviously got lazy with my positioning. I knew better, and got caught anyway.

That said, if you do tap a higher belt, expect to get your ass handed to you the next round of rolling. I turned it up a notch after this...

what did he tap you with?

If I was a blue belt, and a white belt tapped me, I would think that he was getting good. Of course, I'm just a white belt... People just gotta learn DBT.

I had his back, and was working for a figure four body lock on the guy. Lets say he was a bit plus size not huge, but big enough that I had trouble keeping the figure four the whole time while working for the choke. rather than keeping a tight figure four lock, or just strait changing to my hooks I had a half ass figure four (my legs crossed outside of his legs). He shifted his hips and figure foured his legs over mine extending his hips. My ankles are my biggest weakness, if you look at them too long their gonna pop, so rather than fighting my way out I tapped. I may be a purple belt, but I'd rather tap to a white than become injured so I can't train.

Could I have escaped? Maybe, I don't know. But the fact I got caught where I was was a big mistake for me.

Ybot said:
I had his back, and was working for a figure four body lock on the guy. Lets say he was a bit plus size not huge, but big enough that I had trouble keeping the figure four the whole time while working for the choke. rather than keeping a tight figure four lock, or just strait changing to my hooks I had a half ass figure four (my legs crossed outside of his legs). He shifted his hips and figure foured his legs over mine extending his hips. My ankles are my biggest weakness, if you look at them too long their gonna pop, so rather than fighting my way out I tapped. I may be a purple belt, but I'd rather tap to a white than become injured so I can't train.

Could I have escaped? Maybe, I don't know. But the fact I got caught where I was was a big mistake for me.

ah, that sucks, at least you schooled him afterwards... right?

Back