Taming The Beast: How to Make Cody Champion Again?

How difficult will it be for Cody to overcome his emotions and fight smart?

• Total voters
Robbie Lawler used to fight a little like that. He has certainly more than evolved!

Lawler always had a solid chin though. He's only been KO/TKO'd three times in his 41 fight career. Garbrandt has been KO/TKO'd three times in a row now only 14 fights into his career. I enjoy watching Cody fight, but he has to rapidly evolve past this wild brawling or it's not going to go well for him. You gotta have a chin (or at least great recovery) to effectively brawl routinely. It's to the point now where his opponents are going to be trying to bait him into a brawl simply because a brawl is basically a chin checking contest and that's not a contest Cody is equipped to win very often. That's just the truth.

Was kinda hoping this was a troll thread about Cody McKenzie

He needs a new camp. Maybe Hard Knocks 365 or something

Definitely should get a tune up fight.

Last edited:
Cody should train somewhere like Kings MMA or Tristar.

Can't stand Garbrandt. Hopefully he never ever wears a belt again. Physically he is impressive but for all his physical tools, he seriously lacks fight IQ

Retiring from the UFC is something Cody may have to do very soon if he can't fix his emotional intelligence problem quickly. He's running out of KOs he can absorb before his chin is wrecked.

Part of the problem is his age (27). He could do just BJJ until he's matured as a man &/ fighter; return at 30 when he's fixed the issue if it will be as difficult as some people here suggest and take years to fix.

In BJJ only he will protect his chin but still develop a skill he can use when he returns. He could then become champ again and fight for another six years into his late 30s.

Otherwise he's looking at 2-3 more KO losses in the next few years, his career spiraling in the toilet, with no expectation of future recovery. When the chin is gone, that's it. Stick a fork in him; he's done.

I think it's very difficult because of his mentality and approach to fighting. He relies a lot on confidence, which is now shot, as well as his chin perhaps.

There are circumstances where you can evolve and come back from the ko's - a good example is Rampage who got koed by Wanderlei twice and socker kicked to hell by Shogun.
He hasn't been koed since then - even until now where his way past his prime.
That's 23 fights later with a bunch of killers since.

Just can't get emotional in there and become a brawler. He's got legit hands but would rather brawl the moment he lands something clean and knock his opponents head off. Staying composed in there is why he got the win against Cruz.

I like Cody.
Hope to see him fight for the belt again.

I also agree that any fighter that gets knocked out or takes heavy damage should take extended time off. Blew my mind to see Till trying to get the Lawler fight after getting brutally knocked the fuuuuck out.
That Till KO might have been the worse one I've seen

That Till KO might have been the worse one I've seen
Absolutely brutal. His head hitting the mat was loud as fuck, and that follow up shot Masvidal landed after Till was already out was naaaasty.

Till was out for a whiiiile.
Needs to take a good amount of time off after being knocked out like that.
Best knockout of the year so far.

Absolutely brutal. His head hitting the mat was loud as fuck, and that follow up shot Masvidal landed after Till was already out was naaaasty.

Till was out for a whiiiile.
Needs to take a good amount of time off after being knocked out like that.
Best knockout of the year so far.
True! Well unless your Till fan lol. But seriously I was worried for the guy

He needs to leave Team Beta Cuck and join a camp where people care about fighters, or train with a good coach
His fight IQ is low

Y1F.gif

JCVD KO ruined Cody forever.

Maybe he should go up to featherweight. Less of a weight cut, more fluid cushion in his pea brain, idk. He's always gonna fight emotionally
I think he's one of the smallest BWs in the division. Less than 145 in cage.

I think after 3 times he will finally learn the lesson most people would have learned after the first time.

He has the fight iq of a carrot. No way he gets the belt and keeps it

Back