Tall person wrestling

jarra22

White Belt
Reaction score
So guys, im a pretty tall wrestler (5foot 9.5 wrestling 119lbs) and last season as i was looking back on the matches i had recorded, i barely ever shot and got most of my take down points from sprawling and butt dragging/ head in the hole. Do you guys have and tips on how to takedown someone short and stalky?

Im not having any trouble once i get on the mat tho. TOP: riding legs and tilting BOTTOM: i have a pretty explosive stand up

There was this guy on my high school team - tall, lanky, real long arms and legs, kinda skinny. Used to hit an ankle pick all day, and if you moved that leg out of the way he'd hit a single on the other. Rode that combo all the way to state.

^^^ heh... you just described me to the T.

Anyway, ankle picks and singles were my friend. A lot of wrestling from the outside are crucial for our build although I also excelled in the tie-ups due to duckunders and throws (due to Judo).

My most successful technique was a knee pick... except I'd set it up with a snap and could throw it without the underhook.

Last edited:
I was just about to say look to Judo. I'm 6'3" and so a lot of my Judo game is Ashi Waza (leg techniques for non-judoka), and I find that the sweeps and trips work wonderfully and/or cause an even more extreme forward stance that begs for hip throws and seoi nage. When you're not just countering all the shots you get from having an upright Judo stance vs. no-gi wrestler types that is.

Ko Soto Gake from double underhooks or deep over/under is so money for me in no-gi.

My senior year wrestling we had a 6 foot tall 125 pounder who ankle picked the shit out of everybody. use those gift long limbs that god gave you.

So guys, im a pretty tall wrestler (5foot 9.5 wrestling 119lbs) and last season as i was looking back on the matches i had recorded, i barely ever shot and got most of my take down points from sprawling and butt dragging/ head in the hole. Do you guys have and tips on how to takedown someone short and stalky?

Im not having any trouble once i get on the mat tho. TOP: riding legs and tilting BOTTOM: i have a pretty explosive stand up

You are more or less describing me when I wrestled in HS. I was 5'10 and 119 my senior year. I never did any single/doubles. I had a great sprawl and would bait short guys to shoot on me and just use a cross face often to a butcher to flatten them out and go for a nearfall. You can always work on being more explosive with your shot if you feel you need to use it in some circumstances but if being a defensive wrestler standing suits your body and skills i'd stick with what works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back