tale of woe- grappling books?

S

SpreeSimmons

I've wanted to start some sort of grappling art for a while now. But because of time and monetary constraints I hadn't been able to. Finally I just say screw it I'm just going to do it and i'll squeeze it into my schedule and find some way to pay for it. So like three weeks ago i do it. I join this gym and start taking classes that are a mix of judo and sambo. The instructor seems to know what he's doing. I'm learning alot of new things and I have blast when we actually get to play at the end of class. Also I was really happy with how i'd been making steady progress. I had been picking it up better than i had thought i was going to. Anyway then the other day while I'm playing Rugby and BAM! Fractured collar bone. Its a mild facture thank goodness but it still looks like i'm gonna be out for a while. It's very sad and you should feel sorry for me.
Anyway, I figure if i can't actually participate I may as well take this opportunity to study up a bit. Are there any judo/ grappling books out there that are worth while? Videos too i guess. But i'm pretty sure i can get the books cheaper so mostly books. Are videos more helpful than books?

theres a book called "passiing the guard"
its a good one
any gi books will give you lokks at the positons and techniques, but you miss some of the details

mastering ju jutsu - gracies

great book, more than just techniques.

are you still paying for class? if so, go to class and take notes.

imo you should stick to the fundamentals and basics and just keep refining those skills. when you see blackbelts rolling together or in MMA you dont see people getting caught in new wackey moves. the stuff that's winning is the basics (armbars, triangles, etc) and it's wininng because those blackbelts have refined every inch of the move perfectly.

"The Techniques of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu" was produced out of "the Academy that produces one world class fighter after another, the Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy". Quote by Lyle Herman ,
www.DOGSofWAR.net

It Chronicles in depth the full range of the Ground Techniques taught at one of the Nation's Top
Academys , that is the foundation of the training program that has produced such outstanding fighters like ; David Terrell , Gil Castillo , Nick Diaz , Nate Diaz , Jake Shields , Gilbert Melendez
Steve Heath , Bret Bergmark , Martin Armendarez , Tim Mckenzie , Nick Ertl , and others .

Amazon link;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0974338052/104-1642243-3549527?v=glance&n=283155

Passing the guard is the only bjj book that I've found very useful, because it is systematic and focused ... the other books (like the Gracie books) are too much of a grab bag of random moves, without working on how it all hangs together. "6005 ways to submit your foe!" etc. is probably not going to be a very useful treatise, unless you are already very accomplished and looking for variations.

Back