Taking Down Taller Opponents

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Whirozaka, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Whirozaka

Whirozaka White Belt

Hi.
    I'm smaller than most of the guys I grapple with and have a lot of trouble getting these guys to the mat. I've looked into this a bit and everyone says to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more with double legs. I'm not really a stocky guy and that doesn't work well for me, so I'm looking for more options. Also looking for thorough responses and more than just a couple word answers. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

2. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

No doubt you are going to get them, but there isn't a blanket answer to your question. The answer is just kinda... it depends.

3. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Double legs are probably not the best choice if you're smaller than your opponents (and not just shorter). Double is a strong TD no doubt, but it also allows for a heavy sprawl on the part of the defender. Against people who are taller and heavier than me, my go-to TD is the low single. Against a heavy sprawl you can usually come out the back, and it's a little harder to muscle your way out of a low single as opposed to a higher one. Arm drags as setups are also your friends. Plenty of Youtube instructionals on both the low single and arm drag. Footsweeps can be good too, but they take a long time to learn and your timing needs to be pretty good.

4. SuperiorHands

SuperiorHands Purple Belt

Leg attacks and body lock takedown's have always been effective against me. I'm 6'2" and for me takedown's against shorter guys are usually a massive headache.

5. LogicalError

LogicalError Purple Belt

Are you overly showing your hand? It's much easier to stop takedowns when you know your opponent is about to shoot. I do my best to press them then jab and circle out, if the commit and follow with their own jab I'll shoot under and often catch them flat footed and committing to strikes. It helps being southpaw tho cause that already messes with their riddum

6. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Dark Knight Returns

Well at least you have the advantage in MMA

7. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

Get to his body. Getting to the body is the easiest thing to do against taller opponents, and is the easiest way to finish. Getting to the body eliminates almost completely the main weapon that is yielded by tall wrestlers which is leverage.