Takedowns from knees

Bama Zulu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Basically I'm still new (About 3 weeks of BJJ) and when we start on the knees I suck.

My only gameplan when I start on the knees is either bull my head into there shoulder and sprawl over until I get side control. Or try to post my leg by their knee and sweep them, but I can never pull that off.

Anyways, can anybody post some techniques or links for takedowns/getting into position from knees?

Thanks.

My opinion on the subject is don't worry too much about learning takedowns from the knees.

It might make you a little better at sparring in a crowded class, but kneeling takedowns aren't too useful for tournaments or self-defense. From the knees I usually put one knee up and pull guard since I am a smaller guy. Sometimes the bigger guy will put his knee up first, and I will just go into his guard.

Starting from the knees is kind of a strange thing unique to BJJ. I don't think it is very useful and not many other grappling arts do it.

If class is crowded, it's best to just start in a set position on the ground (typically one person's closed guard but that can be adjusted to account for skill/size difference). I try to approximate this when I am forced to start from the knees by just pulling guard myself.

Just the more you do it, you kind of pick up on things that work and don't. I don't really worry, as I pull guard most of the time anyway. Standing takedowns are the things that need attention.

Starting from the knees sucks because you develop bad habits and never really learn any takedown skills.

takedowns from the knees has no bearing on jiu jitsu...worry about other shit

Like mentioned above, learning takedowns from the feet is much more important than learning ones from your knees. That said, my class is one that will start sparring from the knees. A lot of techniques from wrestling can be carried over. One is a simple hip toss from an over/under position. Another is a snapdown, which can lead to a guillotine, spin behind for rear mount, etc. Another is a knee pick, which is done by controlling the head with one arm in a collar tie and blocking the opposite side knee, then pushing him over the blocked knee. This also works if he happens to step up, you just pick the ankle instead of the knee. By far the most effective technique I've developed is a simple shuck/run-by. This is done by having an open tie on one of their arms, then bumping their other arm upward with your other arm, then circling around the arm you just knocked out of the way. This allows you to very easily take their back. It works best if your opponent is pushing into you. This one is kind of hard to explain, let me know if you need me to explain it further/better.

Well I'm not really too worried about submissions right now. I'm just trying to focus on passing guard and having good posture (which seems impossible!).

It's just that starting from the knees I almost always get put in a bad position. Anyways, tonight I just posted my foot and tried to pull him in my guard, it didn't work to good and he just got sidemount then mounted me.

I gotta ways to go, it's frustrating but fun at the same time. I need to stop treating rolling sessions like competition though and relax more :(

You actually can do hip throw like moves from your knees as well. It works pretty well for me. Also, you can try pulling into butterfly guard sweeps, etc.

when pulling guard, if you fall straight back then they can pass your guard without too much trouble.

i was told that if you put your knee up and fall with your opponent to the side of that knee, this gets your opponent off balance and so you end up at right angles to where you started off.

Back