Takedown off Leg KIcks?

bjj wrestler

White Belt
Reaction score
Is the best way to take someone down off a leg kick to shoot right into it, or try to catch the leg in air? Any advice or vids on this would be greatyl appreciated.

You'd probably be better off asking this in the grappling forum, but here goes anyway. I set up my leg kicks after throwing a jab or 1-2 as distraction, so you probably won't see the kick coming till it's landed. If they're throwing them with any type of speed and skill you won't get many takedowns off leg kicks because you have to reach down to catch them - you'll probably get better chances to catch and shoot off kicks to the midsection. I train Muay Thai so it's drilled into me to check the kick. I imagine if you lower your hand to catch the kick you might get faked into catching a leg kick but end up having someones shin wrap around your head :redface:

Is the best way to take someone down off a leg kick to shoot right into it, or try to catch the leg in air? Any advice or vids on this would be greatyl appreciated.

Shooting on a leg kick is hard, but it is going to be even harder to catch a leg kick and if you miss the catch your hands are down and your face is wide open to punches. Honestly I would not even try a take down against a leg kick, as you are moving major targets INTO the strike zone. A good kicker, if they read the attempt, can easily re-aim the target form the leg to the head since you are bring it to them.

Well, when you detect a leg kick, there are 2 things you can do- 1) Check the kick or move out of range if possible. 2) Plant your weight on the leg they're targeting (most likely the lead leg) and deliver a counter. The counter could be a left hook (from orthodox), or you could catch the leg and go for a single/ drive in for the double. Dropping down for the single is a similar motion to planting your leg. As long as you don't get caught by a knee/ kick to the face while dropping for the takedown, you should be able to get it with relative ease because they're already only on 1 leg.

That's why you have to be very good about setting up/ timing your kicks right against a good wrestler. Best example I can think of is Alves/ Koscheck; because once you do land some good kicks to the legs and body, it takes quite a bit out of them, making their shots less explosive.

You'd probably be better off asking this in the grappling forum, but here goes anyway. I set up my leg kicks after throwing a jab or 1-2 as distraction, so you probably won't see the kick coming till it's landed. If they're throwing them with any type of speed and skill you won't get many takedowns off leg kicks because you have to reach down to catch them - you'll probably get better chances to catch and shoot off kicks to the midsection. I train Muay Thai so it's drilled into me to check the kick. I imagine if you lower your hand to catch the kick you might get faked into catching a leg kick but end up having someones shin wrap around your head :redface:

Yes, I fear doing that =p

Well, when you detect a leg kick, there are 2 things you can do- 1) Check the kick or move out of range if possible. 2) Plant your weight on the leg they're targeting (most likely the lead leg) and deliver a counter. The counter could be a left hook (from orthodox), or you could catch the leg and go for a single/ drive in for the double. Dropping down for the single is a similar motion to planting your leg. As long as you don't get caught by a knee/ kick to the face while dropping for the takedown, you should be able to get it with relative ease because they're already only on 1 leg.

That's why you have to be very good about setting up/ timing your kicks right against a good wrestler. Best example I can think of is Alves/ Koscheck; because once you do land some good kicks to the legs and body, it takes quite a bit out of them, making their shots less explosive.

That was helpful, thanks. Must I anticipate the kick to do this, or just see it coming and plant my weight on the front leg and shoot?

We do it in sanda/sanshou all the time, to be honest its easy for wrestlers, you want to start shooting when the leg is in motion. Basically catch it under the knee so the power spot the shin is behind you. I find wrestlers pick it up really fast.

let me know if you need clarification.

We do it in sanda/sanshou all the time, to be honest its easy for wrestlers, you want to start shooting when the leg is in motion. Basically catch it under the knee so the power spot the shin is behind you. I find wrestlers pick it up really fast.

First off, great advice thats what I was looking for. I need just a bit clarification on what you mean by catching the kick. For example if you are both in orthodox stance and he throws a rear leg roundhouse I will catch the kick with my left arm, but do I grab under his leg with my left arm or over his leg with my left arm?

Are you talking about a _leg_ kick or a body kick? Sounds like a body kick.

Back