Takedown in SD situation

judo in general doesn't work for people who can't resist punches to the face. if you wanna try to throw a guy with judo techniques, you gotta be ready to get punched to your face before throwing him down. this video is the best example:

the fight starts at 1:55, and the judo guy failed to do O Soto Gari at 2:07. in fact, the judo guy was trying to throw him, but unfortunatly he couldn't because he was eating punches. Guess what!the fat guy saved him! in my opinion, wrestling(double/single leg) is more useful than judo throws in SF. if the guy grabs you, then quickly fall and pull your guard and start playing BJJ. Or, you can train boxing which will help you to absorb punches and be able dodge punches and etc...and that's my advice bro!
That's not a judo guy; look what he's wearing.

be careful of suplex fucking someone to death especially on concrete like Khabilov

judo in general doesn't work for people who can't resist punches to the face. if you wanna try to throw a guy with judo techniques, you gotta be ready to get punched to your face before throwing him down. this video is the best example:

the fight starts at 1:55, and the judo guy failed to do O Soto Gari at 2:07. in fact, the judo guy was trying to throw him, but unfortunatly he couldn't because he was eating punches. Guess what!the fat guy saved him! in my opinion, wrestling(double/single leg) is more useful than judo throws in SF. if the guy grabs you, then quickly fall and pull your guard and start playing BJJ. Or, you can train boxing which will help you to absorb punches and be able dodge punches and etc...and that's my advice bro!

Well I don't know man.

This whole video seems so tragic to me because the whole fight is so unnecessary and yet so typical for what many fights look like. Goes to show how stupid violence is sometimes I guess.

As for the usefulness of judo: The "judoka" obviously got sucker punched and then had to eat another one before he had time to even react. No grappling art would save you from those moves. Or do you really think that a typical wrestler would have swallowed the first punch at 2:01 unscathed, ducked the other one at 2:02 and then executed a double leg takedown before the punch at 2:04? I just don't see that happening. Now a really good wrestler could of course have thrown a double leg or a suplex or whatever somewhere around 2:06-2:18, when the whole fight actually goes on in the clinch. But I'd say so could a really good judoka.

The one thing I do agree upon is that you should definitely cross-train in a striking art if you're primarily a grappler and want to prepare for self defense. Either boxing or muay thai would have been very useful for the victim in this fight.

All in all, I'd not discard judo so easily. I'm a boxer who's looking to branch out into grappling, in part for self defense reasons. Out of the available grappling art options I chose judo in the end, mainly thanks to the wide range of options from the clinch, which I think will be particularly useful when combined with my offensive and defensive striking skills.

To answer TS's question, I'd guess the takedown would depend on the angle, but either a leg sweep like o soto gari or a hip throw like o goshi would probably work well in many situations. Basically, any "simple" techniques would work well under stress, I'd say.

Personally... I would go with whatever your money throw is. If you're taking guys down in practice with it, so long as it isn't some impractical bullshit, you should be able to be able to hit someone in a fight with it.

For me... just happens to be tai otoshi...

Self defense situation? Pffft... shove adversary to create distance, back pedal and draw my sidearm...thats about as close to a take down I would get.

Self defense situation? Pffft... shove adversary to create distance, back pedal and draw my sidearm...thats about as close to a take down I would get.

So you are going to get sucker punched twice, shove the guy off and backpedal through multiple people, then pull your firearm and open fire in a crowded subway train?

So you are going to get sucker punched twice, shove the guy off and backpedal through multiple people, then pull your firearm and open fire in a crowded subway train?

Not to mention that the gun will probably be concealed, with the safety on and no round in the chamber.

He got sucker punched in the jaw then again in the back of the head. Hardly anyone can react well after that. :rolleyes:

He got sucker punched in the jaw then again in the back of the head. Hardly anyone can react well after that. :rolleyes:

a boxer would just absorb it and knock him out COLD with one punch! that's why people should be "Well rounded". i mean pick one grappling(bjj, wrestling, judo, sambo...) and one striking(boxing, kickboxing, muy thai, karate...) and train both of them. you would be more confident than training one style. if you dont have the money or time to train 2 style of fighting, then i advice you to start training first grappling then striking.

god damn that's an annoying crazy bitch!

Well, the stupidity sang its siren song, and I couldn't resist . . .

Could certainly be wrong. Sources cited to the contrary already, that I admit I can't reliably dispute. THe basic point still applies.

The point still applies even if it's wrong? Are you from another dimension, or something? I shit you not, I emailed this to an old philosophy professor for a good laugh!

There are two self-defense scenarios.

1. Some guy is being a douche and forces you to fight - compensating for his tiny penis, who knows. In this case use your self defense techniques.

2. Some guy wants you dead and you fear for your life, or a group might attack you, or a group of your friends wants to fight another group. These are not scenarios you should allow yourself to be in. Leave the conflict area if you can. Run, call the police, move to another city. If you have no choice and can not flea, fight to save your life, even at the cost of someone elses. Punch the throat, kick the groin, fish hook, eye gouge, throw dirt in faces. If comes down to me or you, its you. As soon as you can, run. Learn from the mistakes that put you in that situation and avoid it in the future.

Senario 1 is by far the most common, or at least it should be. If where you live puts you in constant danger of number 2, move.

If you are a douche and like scenario two, self-defense is of no use to you. You will probably die or at the least suffer serious injury if you persist. Good luck to you.

So, according to this, people who are in life-threatening situations are only so endangered because they are irresponsible douches? Is that HONESTLY what you're saying? Really? Final answer? Not going to think through that at ALL?

The only sane thing for you to do if you value your life is get new friends and find somewhere else to be. Anything else is a dangerously ignorant comment.

Yeah, whenever I get roped into unpleasant situations, I ALWAYS leave my home, job, family, and friends. It's obviously the only sensible thing to do!

. . .

Truly, gracie combatives are *the best* way to quickly learn street applicable, strike aware jui jitsu. IMHO of course.

edit - I should note that wraps, trips, a foot sweeps are all included in "judo throws" but I'm saying its a good idea to limit yourself to the ones that are easiest and highest percentage to execute without years of training and from a position where you are protected from strikes....

The Gracie Combatives is an introductory program. Its purpose is to provide techniques that are usable with minimal training. Most martial artists (such as people posting in a "Grappling Technique" forum) DO train for years. That's the whole point. Limiting yourself to only the things that you were doing in your first month of training is pretty counterproductive.

That was a very bad idea. You only go to osoto gari, especially in a MMA fight (street fight in the case) if you got an hold in the guy and if you can push him back, which was not the case. If he wanted to use a throw he should have clinch first with double over/under hooks or a double under. That would stop the strikes.

After that the options are simple, just watch a Jon Jones/Fedor fight, they to the exact same thing. You can push him back and you are in front of him? Ouchi gari in the face. You can push him back and you are slightly in the outside? Tani otoshi/Ko soto gake (outside leg trip).
You are holding him and he is pushing you back? Sasae tsurikomi in the face. See how Jon Jones was dropping Gusmao and Bonnar left and right, because they let JBJ get a tight hold on them and decided to push him foward with all their strenght. And even against Rashad, the only takedown that was effective was Sasae, a throw that is very underated but extremely useful in MMA conditions, due to the constant clinch game. Just ask Fedor and JBJ, 2 guys who based a big part of their feared clinch game around it.

However, an important notion: you should use a throw/takedown that you KNOW how to use and used before. This guy didn't know sh*t about how to throw anything, especially under "fire conditions", so he should avoid it anyway.

PS: if you check JBJ vs Rampage, it's funny to notice all this sequence I just described in the takedown that gave JBJ's the RNC that ended the fight. After the clinch, JBJ starts pushing Rampage back. Seeing that he is overpowering him, something he couldn't do in the earlier rounds (in fact at some point in the earlier rounds he tried the exact same sequence, but unable to pushing him forward, he tried a Sasae, almost putting him on the ground, not doing it because Rampage was not really pushing him back, just countering JBJ's attempts) JBJ tries a ouchi gari that is stopped by Rampage with his right hand.
Next he tries a outside leg trip (ko soto gake) which Rampage anticipates and backs down. In the end, and already against the cage, JBJ changes his left arm's position and threats Rampage's neck with a guillotine. Now having to defend his neck, and not having his right arm to stop JBJ from closing the necessary distance, he allows him to step forward, this time finishing the ouchi gari. Moments later he was RNC'ed.

[YT]KYUuHUmDy-E[/YT]

See 16m35s for the first sequence, with the sasae try, and see 33m10s for that final sequence I just described.

Last edited:
Have you ever played american football? Just tackle somebody like you would in football.

I just couldn't disagree more. The kid didn't lift at all, he drug downward. Its almost like we are looking at two different videos. In the one I'm watching the kid clearly does tani otoshi. I don't know what you are looking at. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyhoo original point stands.

You guys all have a good day.

i'm almost tempted to say it was a daki-wakare... skip to 40secs

Back