1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Takedown drills

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SoSexy, Aug 7, 2010.

1. SoSexy

SoSexy Yellow Belt

I was inspired as fuck at the Sonnen fight earlier. Incidentally, I have a tournament coming up in a bit more than a month.

I'd like to drill some wrestling takedowns. Up until now, I've only been supplementing my ground game with Judo and I'm pretty terrible at that. The problem is that we barely train standup in my BJJ gym.

I know the basic mechanics, but do you guys know the best way to train the standard single leg and double leg in my down time at home? Ideally I'd like to end up in North South one way or another as I feel it's my strongest position and other whitebelts rarely train to escape it. Thanks!

2. FunkyRMe

FunkyRMe White Belt

I would say watch some basic videos and drill you penetration step. One thing you can do is drill it in front of a mirror to see how you telegraph it and work on your shot. That works for some guys.

Unfortunately wrestling really has to be drilled with a partner i think even more so than BJJ.

3. boboplata***

boboplata*** Banned Banned

4. SoSexy

SoSexy Yellow Belt

I'd rather not haha, last thing I'd want is for some internet guys to message my instructors.

We do the basic penetration drill sometimes as warmup, but we never really get in depth.

Yeah I know uchikomi drills, but I'd like to focus more on wrestling takedowns since I have access to actual judo training. (shame the illegalized doubles/singles in judo).

I was thinking wearing kneepads and shadow shooting (like shadowboxing but for wrestling, duh) outside my house.

5. RibCrusher**

RibCrusher** Orange Belt

how would your instructor know it was you? is SoSexy your real name? and if so, is it a family name?

6. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

lol