Takedown drills

SoSexy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I was inspired as fuck at the Sonnen fight earlier. Incidentally, I have a tournament coming up in a bit more than a month.

I'd like to drill some wrestling takedowns. Up until now, I've only been supplementing my ground game with Judo and I'm pretty terrible at that. The problem is that we barely train standup in my BJJ gym.

I know the basic mechanics, but do you guys know the best way to train the standard single leg and double leg in my down time at home? Ideally I'd like to end up in North South one way or another as I feel it's my strongest position and other whitebelts rarely train to escape it. Thanks!

I would say watch some basic videos and drill you penetration step. One thing you can do is drill it in front of a mirror to see how you telegraph it and work on your shot. That works for some guys.

Unfortunately wrestling really has to be drilled with a partner i think even more so than BJJ.

:icon_sad: name of the gym & affiliation please?

your entering a tournament where a takedown can possibly give you an edge not to mention the win if the time runs out.

try these:

YouTube - ‪Innertube Uchikomi‬‎

YouTube - ‪Judo 'Seoi Nage' strength exercise drill‬‎

good luck!

I'd rather not haha, last thing I'd want is for some internet guys to message my instructors.

We do the basic penetration drill sometimes as warmup, but we never really get in depth.

Yeah I know uchikomi drills, but I'd like to focus more on wrestling takedowns since I have access to actual judo training. (shame the illegalized doubles/singles in judo).

I was thinking wearing kneepads and shadow shooting (like shadowboxing but for wrestling, duh) outside my house.

how would your instructor know it was you? is SoSexy your real name? and if so, is it a family name?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back