take away wheaties box & the fluke henderson kick

hes a good fighter just not a great one. he does have a few great highlights and wins tho.

Pettis has one of the best resumes in MMA history. Dude is on the decline. Is normal.

I understand your jimmies are rustled that he lost, but the moment that you said ben henderson I stopped reading your responses...so I implore you to stop wasting your time.

Jimmies rustled? You're using old memes now?

Man, I don't care that Pettis lost. He's been losing. I'm responding to your ignorant original post, which claimed that besides the Wheaties Box deal and the Showtime Kick (which, by the way, was after Pettis already had the fight in the bag) that he was never that good or special or whatever you said. You clearly don't know his career or much of anything relating to MMA besides your own narrow minded misconceptions, so I don't really care if you read my posts, because I doubt you'd comprehend them anyway.

Jimmies rustled? You're using old memes now?

Man, I don't care that Pettis lost. He's been losing. I'm responding to your ignorant original post, which claimed that besides the Wheaties Box deal and the Showtime Kick (which, by the way, was after Pettis already had the fight in the bag) that he was never that good or special or whatever you said. You clearly don't know his career or much of anything relating to MMA besides your own narrow minded misconceptions, so I don't really care if you read my posts, because I doubt you'd comprehend them anyway.
fights about to start. shhhh

He stopped Lauzon and Cowboy 1st round strikes, then subbed Gil and Bendo.

Name any 4-finish streak as good as that. There's maybe a couple in mma history better than that.
Seriously? I can think of 20 4 fight win streaks better than that. Shogun did it in PRIDE in 2 nights work.

He destroyed Cowboy so what does that say?

If Conor can’t destroy Cowboy then that’s gonna show you exactly how bad Conor is

Melendez was at his peak and had never been finished before. Ben Henderson was also at his peak when Pettis armbarred him. Context is King. It's easy to go back and look at a fighter's record and think of the opponents as they are now and not when he beat them. Fact is, Pettis finished Cowboy, Benson, and Melendez when they weren't being finished by other people.

I would disagree strongly that Melendez was at his peak. He got beat by Thomson and won a robbery, then had a close fight with Henderson. When he tapped to Pettis, the Guillotine wasn't even locked in. That was a weird sub. And he hasn't looked good at all in the UFC.

..... after compartmentalizing those two things away, view his career and tell me hes good.
He might mentally be there, but he just isn't athletic enough.
It's like he's one-dimensional as a good striker but once grappling takes place it falls apart
Perhaps one word....starts with Us.....

ends in Da. Hendricks like fall happening here

Seriously? I can think of 20 4 fight win streaks better than that. Shogun did it in PRIDE in 2 nights work.

Finish streaks, not win streaks. Pettis had four solid finishes in a row, including one to win the lightweight title over a guy who'd never been submitted, and another to defend the title over a guy who had never been submitted.

I wonder why pro fighters don't post here anymore

giphy.gif

everybody sucks and all of their accomplishments are meaningless

He destroyed Cowboy so what does that say?

If Conor can’t destroy Cowboy then that’s gonna show you exactly how bad Conor is
good god you cant bring up 7 year old fights.
so many people living in the past

Agreed , more or less.

Pettis has been very overrated.

RDA fight fucked him up - physically and mentally.

Prior to that he was about as good as it gets but just got shut down and then beat down by RDA.

..... after compartmentalizing those two things away, view his career and tell me hes good.
He might mentally be there, but he just isn't athletic enough.
It's like he's one-dimensional as a good striker but once grappling takes place it falls apart

If you take away those things he still probably beats Bendo in their first fight and then becomes UFC champ.

I would disagree strongly that Melendez was at his peak. He got beat by Thomson and won a robbery, then had a close fight with Henderson. When he tapped to Pettis, the Guillotine wasn't even locked in. That was a weird sub. And he hasn't looked good at all in the UFC.

Fair points, but I don't think Gil was ever a clear cut #1 lightweight in his career. He was always having close fights against Thomson and other top lightweights. I feel like his performances against Ben and Diego were two of the last great fights of his career. He hasn't looked the same since losing to Pettis. I can see it both ways, but I feel like he was right at his peak or maybe just slightly past it. Either way, being the first to submit him, at that particular time, was still impressive. It isn't like Ryan Hall heel hooking BJ Penn, for example.

I'm not going to get into arguments with contrarians. Wonderboy was beating him until he got that shot in, Melendez and Benson Henderson are not great. Melendez almost lost to Diego Sanchez

Benson is arguably a top 5 LW in UFC history. Pettis was extremely good for a several year stretch but obviously he's fallen off. Doesn't diminish his accomplishments or mean he's a bum.

And people thought Diaz was elite for beating him!

Back