Taining twice a week routine!

groin striker

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
ok I want to start weight training only twice a week instead of three times because im training bjj 4x a week and donig a bit of cardio also and I find im burning out rather quickly and dont want to cut the bjj! so how would I fit all the exercises into two days a week and what days to do exercises togeather! I still want to keep most of the strengh i ve gained tho.

Thanks!!

You cn split them up into push and pull days

squats
bench
overhead press
dips

deads
chins
rows

Ian King wrote a great artical about training twice a week called "Big Muslce Busy Schedule"...it was written a few years ago so you need to look in the T-nation archieves.

groin striker said:
ok I want to start weight training only twice a week instead of three times because im training bjj 4x a week and donig a bit of cardio also and I find im burning out rather quickly and dont want to cut the bjj! so how would I fit all the exercises into two days a week and what days to do exercises togeather! I still want to keep most of the strengh i ve gained tho.

Thanks!!

At two days a week, your strength, power, and endurance will probably only be maintained. It's difficult to improve with that few work days. Three is really key.

Just so you know.

acutally i cut back my training strength training to two days a week, and i do skill/tactial training 2-3 days a week...and i'm seeing better improvement in both. I like Charlie Francies quote "mixed training equals mixed resultes"

Madmick said:
At two days a week, your strength, power, and endurance will probably only be maintained. It's difficult to improve with that few work days. Three is really key.

Just so you know.

dood i was hittin a twice (or sometimes once a week) program - clean and press , benchpress, pull-ups , squats and deadlifts - and my strength and power was going thru the fukin roof . iv never had gains like that .

parallax86 said:
dood i was hittin a twice (or sometimes once a week) program - clean and press , benchpress, pull-ups , squats and deadlifts - and my strength and power was going thru the fukin roof . iv never had gains like that .

Thats what I wana hear! its just on push day doing squats and bench would be murder!!

that was my whole workout , each workout. doing clean and press, squat and deadlift on the same day fukin killed me. good gains though.

Madmick said:

Just so you know.

can you give some reasoning behind this statement.

I can sustain 3 (and at its worst 4) times a week for maybe a month or 2, then I burnt myself out. The fact that I only improve for half that time then I begin to suck means I now train twice a week, and my numbers have 'so' far constantly gone up (for the last 4 weeks or so)

ian: ur not just trainin weights are you ? that could b y . ur body will maintain the strength and endurance it needs from ur mma or whatever trainin ,and the 2 times u do train will jus build on that maintained level.

parallax86 said:

You'd have to be more specific with "through the roof". This is not an attack on you, but if you are talking jumping from say 250-350 in a deadlift over some named time, this really isn't good proof. Now if you are talking about going from 500-600 in the same amount of time, then you might have something.

parallax86 said:
ian: ur not just trainin weights are you ? that could b y . ur body will maintain the strength and endurance it needs from ur mma or whatever trainin ,and the 2 times u do train will jus build on that maintained level.

This is true, I'm a MT guy.

Bit counter intuative, but I think I know where your coming from

Not necessarily. Quality over quantity any given day. I was able to hit 2 of my 3 PRs on twicec a week lifting.

Madmick said:

Just so you know.

Not necessarily. Quality over quantity any given day. I was able to hit 2 of my 3 PRs on twicec a week lifting.

I agree, but for some people, they need to change up frequency once in a while to further gains. Everyone is different though.

I was just saying that you can make gains on twice a week training, of course I also go more than twice a week but I have made my best gains on that frequency.

Duncon76 said:

I agree, but for some people, they need to change up frequency once in a while to further gains. Everyone is different though.

Back