Taika Waititi Courted to Develop a New Star Wars Movie

It's about time Disney make some good decisions for Star Wars.

If it's not about The Old Republic they can fuck right off. Who gives a shit who directs it. You guys put too much stock in that. Aside from a few who have their own styled they impose through creative control due to making shit tons of money in the past like Cameron or Nolan or Spielberg it's all up to the writing and story.

Taika is an incredible film maker. At the very least I think whatever he offers up will be decent.

I like him. His Mandalorian stuff is good and his Thor movie was good. Also loving the show What We Do In The Shadows (haven’t seen the movie yet). He probably could have done a good Solo movie.

oF7Veng.gif

Good director, interesting ideas, fun etc.. so good but I don't necessary seem him vibe that well with SW then again he did it just fine with The Mandalorian directing the final episode 8 of the first season and voiced the IG droid and was restrained and not over the top or anything just the right amount so paired up with a good writer that gets SW we could have something special.

Tho I feel LucasFilm/Disney are kinda reactionary and they just go and get what is 'hot' at the moment and just slap it in. Needs more concrete planning and just sit back and think about the complete big picture and even delay the project an extra year if you need to work on the scripts and vision to have it all match up perfect. I feel the at least 3 years pause we gonna get from the cinema movies will be an welcome brake to reset and focus. (in before they start shooting it next fall)

It sounds good to me.. Star Wars needs a new direction I feel, took the kids to see the latest Star Wars movie and it was nowhere near as good as I was hoping. It seems stale.. something new and fresh would be great for it.

Star Wars the Force Awakens was the last movie that I really enjoyed, great movie.. but the ones since then have been a bit meh and bland. Some people were saying The Rise of Skywalker was awful and unwatchable.. I didn't think it was that bad at all, it had some decent moments but it was just mediocre.. I feel like it needs a fresh direction

Waititis formula gets tiring fast.
He breaks the rhythm/flow of narrative with silly jokes.
I can digest im small doses but he can stink a movie when he doesn’t know WHEN to keep the tension going for a better effect.

I couldn’t watch Thor Ragnarok more then once because everytime something epic was about to happen a silly joke got put in the middle of it.

he probably likes the Last jedi.

i’m glad he’s able to squeeze in his own indie projects between all these big budget projects. go get that paper, Taika

Didn't he spend all of his jokes on Thor 3?

Didn't he spend all of his jokes on Thor 3?

Could we call it Thor Ragnarok rather than Thor 3? I know it takes a little longer but this way I can keep pretending Thor 2 doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance.

After the latest trilogy, I'm suffering from Star Wars fatigue for the first time in my life. Can't even get into Fallen Order. The franchise badly needs a new direction and creative spark - I don't even want to see another lightsaber fight at this point.

After 6 shitty installments, how is Star Wars not dead?

Just reboot the new trilogy while Hamill is still alive and throw this directionless mess we got to toilet.

The Mandalorian episode he directed was better than all the Star Wars movies since Empire Strikes Back. lol@"not the right tone". He's blessing their bum lives with his talent.

Not seen that but I'm guessing he could easily cut out the more overt meta comedy stuff that people know him from in Ragnarok, Jojo Rabbit, What We Do In The Shadows, etc if needed, he's an excellent dramatic writer/director when he wants to be and can do more standard witty dialog very well to.

Wasn't he involved with the live action Akira at some stage? has that gone back to development hell?

I'm down. He killed it in his episode of Mandalorian.

I want to see him direct a troop focused movie. The scout trooper interactions were so damn funny.

A grunt's eye view of the war would be cool if done right. Star Wars meets Platoon;)

The new movies are going to take place during the High Republic Era about 400 years before the OT

Back