Tai Chi for real

Ghostdogg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i just read that tai chi can be used as a self defense is this true and if so how effective is it?

Yes there is some kinds of Tai Chi that still train in the original way. That is basically the tai chi movements but at full speed and power. I don't think they really spar though.

Yes there is some kinds of Tai Chi that still train in the original way. That is basically the tai chi movements but at full speed and power. I don't think they really spar though.

Haha Tai chi sparring...watch out for the energy blasts!

i just read that tai chi can be used as a self defense is this true and if so how effective is it?

Tai Chi translates to "grand ultimate". It was said to be at one time the most advanced martial art in the realm of chinese martial arts. This was because the tai chi masters of old would be able to achieve things--physically--that couldn't be explained by mere muscles/bones/tendons. Hence the cultivation of "chi".

However, it's much like the bible. You're going off stories that have been likely exaggerated and skewed over the course of many years. Could it be true? Sure. Is it provable today? Not really. You're essentially going on faith and your own ability to interpret whether or not something is worthwhile in actual combat.

Easy way to see if it works...test it after you've gained some mastery in it. Or even faster...test the master from whom you wish to learn from. See if they're able to show you that it works. If they can't...then walk away.

Last edited:
Tai chi chuan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an old Chinese style it's not strictly a martial art but also an exercise and conditioning system (based on the limited medical knowledge of its time). No classic or internal style like this is going to get much acknowledgment by keyboard warriors.

It's a hybrid style, encompassing striking, throws and takedowns (like you might see in judo or aikido), traps and joint locks (like you might see in aikido, judo, jujitsu and wing chun), and some weapons techniques.

It is extremely effective against seniors in wheelchairs.

yep it can be used as a fighting style has alot of nifty throws in it as well.

i believe it was Tim cartmell who competed in grappling tourneys and used his throwing from tai chi and other internal arts along with this bjj

i dont take tai chi but the sifu at my school is one tough dude. hes older now but hes still so strong. he has let students try to attack him before and he is so fluid with his movements its ridiculous. ive only seen him get hit solid once by a kick to the liver and it didnt even faze him he just smiled

Dr. Yongbom Kim
Co-Director of Martial Arts Studies
Office: Carlson Hall, room 233
Phone: 203-576-4970
Fax: (203) 576-4967
Email: [email protected]

Dr. Kim is an internationally recognized martial artist. He earned his undergraduate and his Masters degree in Martial Arts from ‘s Kyung Hee University. He also holds a seventh degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Professor Kim has a particular academic interest in the historical and philosophical roots of martial arts and is becoming more recognized for his commitment to mainstream the martial arts as an academic discipline in the West. He teaches both practical and theoretical courses in martial arts at the University of Bridgeport's International College .

Professor Dan Zegibe
Professor of Taiji

Sifu Dan Zegibe is a pioneer Taiji studies in the New York region where he has practiced for over 30 years with primary focus on Yang Style Taiji and Qigong. His experience also includes Da Lu fighting form, Push Hands and Chinese long sword. He continues study and teaching with Sifu C.K. Chu at Chu Tai Chi in New York City. Chu was one of the first ever to document and publish Taiji and Qigong principles and learning. Dan’s work also includes a review of C.K. Chu’s latest book on Qigong training entitled Eternal Spring.

Professor Joseph Suozzi
Instructor of Karate-do
Office: Carlson Hall, room 233
Phone: 203-576-4970
Fax: (203) 576-4967
Email: [email protected]

Sensei Joseph Suozzi is a professor of Martial Arts Studies at the University of Bridgeport. He currently maintains a 6th Degree black belt with the All-Japan Karate Federation in Shotokan Karate-do and is the direct student of Miyamiru Yanagawa, founder of Taira-Yanagawa Kobudo. Sensei Suozzi has studied Shotokan Karate for over 30 years and continues to practice daily to master the arts and principles of this beautiful art. With great respect to his teacher, Sensei Toshiro Einoda (9th Dan) and other great instructors from his past, Sensei Suozzi’s lifelong mission is to pass along the deep traditions that have kept karate-do alive for future generations. The crowning achievement in Sensei Suozzi’s martial arts career is the work being done teaching and advancing a program to teach to martial arts to the mentally challenged, specifically those with mild autism.
Sensei Suozzi also holds an associates degree in humanities, a bachelor in modern literature, and is currently pursuing a doctorate in literature.

University of Bridgeport :: Faculty

^ a little information about the masters at my college.

It's very effective if you can find a proper place to learn it. Americans have made a tai-bo or Yoga kind of thing out of it. However, true Tai-Chi is very effective in many ways. Self defense and internal use for regulation of breathing and chi. And its movements can be very useful in grappling, because it teaches you how to transfer your strength from one area to another in a single flow. This is very relevent to getting kuzushi in Judo or Japanese Jiu Jitsu. Not sure if that makes sense, but that's the best way I can describe it.

The push hands rules in the US are retarded. In Chinese push hands competitions you can often see something that resembles good grappling.

However, it's much like the bible. You're going off stories that have been likely exaggerated and skewed over the course of many years. Could it be true? Sure. Is it provable today? Not really. You're essentially going on faith and your own ability to interpret whether or not something is worthwhile in actual combat.

I understand you are (or were at the time of that post) someone who doesn't believe/view the Hebrew Bible is true but there are those of us in this forum such as myself who do. I'm an observant Noahide (non-Jew who believes in Judaism and observes the Noahide Laws) so please try to be more respectful and use other examples to make a point.

I understand you are (or were at the time of that post) someone who doesn't believe/view the Hebrew Bible is true but there are those of us in this forum such as myself who do. I'm an observant Noahide (non-Jew who believes in Judaism and observes the Noahide Laws) so please try to be more respectful and use other examples to make a point.

Epic necro-bump. This thread is damn near 5 years old,

Back