Tai Chi Defense against Boxing/Muay Thai!

Lui Hailong

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Man....I don't know if this site is a parody, but sadly I think it's not.

http://wongkk.com/taijiquan/taijiquan-combat-videos.html

I haven't explored all the videos, but this one where they "demonstrate" Muay Thai was enough to make me cringe:

http://wongkk.com/video-clips/taijiquan/muaythai01.html

Good thing there's Sanshou.

(Disclaimer: This is not to start a thread bashing CMA/TMA! Tai Chi is very beneficial for your health and should be respected. Take it as an example of how some people oversimplify boxing/muay thai...and use it to your advantage)

I don't have sound on this computer, so I don't know what he was saying on the video...but it sure did look funny. I know that stuff can really help health and fitness wise but that site is just a joke.

i also heard tai chi is very good for your health,unless you try to use it against muay thai

What is the bobbing around with the hands thing they do?

These people are advertising their livers for destruction.

What the freakin hell is that? That is NOT Muay Thai and God help them if they run into a Thai fighter.

Believe it or not, but some gyms still train people for taichi for combat.
Almost no one practices taichi with alive training, but if they did, it would be somewhat effective.
It would look less like taichi, but it can be done.

...what's to stop the boxer from slapping the guy's arms out of the way and then punching him. Like a boxer is that incompetent, that if he couldn't jab past the guy's arms he'd simply be defeated. Lol.

haha that muay thai ones good for comedy

OMFG, you're right... It totally reminds me of a sketch I saw on a parody TV show, In Living Color, where Jim Carrey was teaching phony self defense. That was a RIOT! I hope that they were just working out on the videos, and the webpage just took it too serious, because I didn't see anything that would stop even the greenest of the green boxers.

i bet that asian instructor is rich

who's the kungfools now?

i like hte MT one cuz hte guys look like they're struggling to keep their balance just moving their hands in circles.

I'm a big fan of TMA, but
in this case, all I can say is, that this is the worst demonstration of Tai Chi
that I have ever seen.

I think this guy makes Tai Chi look bad.
his knowledge of Thaiboxing is extremely low, I think it parallels his Tai Chi knowledge.

Iceman5592 said:
...what's to stop the boxer from slapping the guy's arms out of the way and then punching him. Like a boxer is that incompetent, that if he couldn't jab past the guy's arms he'd simply be defeated. Lol.
People have figured this out long ago... the longest reach wins. :p

This is pure gold, I Love the slow, no hip movement approach to striking. Pointed toe front kicks is also staple muay thai

The sad thing is, this guy seems like a legit Tai Chi master.

http://www.shaolin-wahnam-center.org/center/index.htm

His website, in any case, is the nicest one I've seen for a martial arts school.

I don't know, I'm sure this guy has a lot of expertise and experience in Tai Chi, but he seems to hold a very common perception amongst TMA guys, and that is boxing/Muay Thai are very simple systems that are easily learned and limited in complexity...why else would this chump think he can demonstrate Muay Thai when it's obvious he has no clue how to throw a Muay Thai kick. I guess it's human nature to be more impressed by butterfly kicks and brick breaking.

On a side note, though, supposedly the only person to defeat Mas Oyama was a Hong Kong Tai Chi master. So you never know, you might not want to mess with this guy :D .

I once met two hardcore tai chi guys in a bjj class ... they were in terrific shape, very athletic, natural on the ground. They seemed to suggest that you could be a real badass at tai chi if you knew what you were doing. It seems doubtful to me, but these guys were no joke at bjj, so I don't know what the deal was. I'll keep an open mind, but I guess maybe it is like a wussy type of kung fu, such that if you're really trained intensely at it you could have some decent effect against bad fighters from other disciplines.

Then again, I watched the videos, and if anybody tried that kind of nonsense against an actual trained boxer or MT guy, they would get annihilated.

Kawlinz said:
People have figured this out long ago... the longest reach wins. :p

Hah, the longest reach has an advantage. And that's with a jab. Not just holding your arms out. Lol. I just saw the Muay Thai one. Much needed laugh.

Mythius said:
What the freakin hell is that? That is NOT Muay Thai and God help them if they run into a Thai fighter.

Lol, i thought it looked more like a drunken dance than Muay Thai.

Put your hands in the air and wave them around like you just don't care. :)

When I heard Tae chi vs M.T. I thought I was in the "joke of the day" forum.

Back