Taekwondo demo

Tourist walks into arena...

Tourist: they're really good dancers

Local: you dishonor your family!!

I’ve always thought it’s a bit reckless to train young children in such a deadly discipline. It seems like it’s a dangerous experiment what if they accidentally hit somebody in a death point or loose their cool and just destroy some people for the heck of it...
it’s like giving a bunch of kids guns and letting them loose only difference is you don’t have to stop and reload like there’s always another one in the chamber..

Not sure what your purpose is in labeling this TKD. Appears these gals are part of some adaptation of TKD form to an aerobic routine or dance exhibition. I noticed aerobics flash on a screen to the left.

This is TKD.
Jeweliana Ramos Traditional Kata 2017 U S Capitol Classics Karate Tournament

karatevideoguy
Published on Jan 4, 2018
Jeweliana Ramos Traditional Kata 2017 U S Capitol Classics Karate Tournament

I wouldn't call this championship level poomsae @ all. Nonetheless, it presents many of the qualities of TKD which emphasis flexibility, variation in technique, balance, whole body coordination, smooth transitioning from one step to another with speed & ease, rounded conditioning of the entire body, and finally precision in techique. As another post on Muay Thai technique just pointed out, one of the ways this TKD practitioner ruins this poomsae is by overachieving, trying to hard to force strength into her movements, which is also evidenced by loud screaming....

Here's another TKD poomsae, a training version. Certainly NOT, black-belt quality.
Palgwe Il Jang

Tan Gun Taekwondo Academy
Published on Aug 4, 2016

I was spending a lot of time and not finding the exact Palgue version, so I borrowed from another Korean karate, TSD.
CKA Vista, Ca - Kicho Hyung Il Bu

California Karate Academy

Published on Apr 22, 2016

Instructor's comment:
This is Kicho Hyung Il Bu, the first basic form in Tang Soo Do. It is learned by white belts and practiced without end through the rest of ones life. Tang Soo!

This is definitely black-belt, instructor level version. She does an excellent job. The contrast to the TKD forms, is that like many of the mainstream Japanese karates, the techniques are simpled at the basic level. Mastering this kata to a sound working level will address the fundamental failings of the karate practitioner we see in MMA.

Rather than some overachieving display of physical strength, karate's power is there in this demonstration, the untrained eye just can's see it.

The similarity between the OP's TKD 'performance' vid and MMA is that they are both playing around for entertainment. The opening of this hyung signifies that in karate, we are doing anything but playing around.

Does anyone think, that for example kicks performed by Benny Urquidez or Andy Hug were not enough effective, for example, if Andy Hug delivered kick in Kyokushin kumite then kick was more effective than his kick in K1 bout?

<{chips}>
Yeah, we MMA'rs love to poke fun @ the traditional martial arts styles. TKD has been habitually referred to as a weak sister of karates.

Such deportment though, doesn't convey superiority in the practices you adopt.

I’ve always thought it’s a bit reckless to train young children in such a deadly discipline. It seems like it’s a dangerous experiment what if they accidentally hit somebody in a death point or loose their cool and just destroy some people for the heck of it...
it’s like giving a bunch of kids guns and letting them loose only difference is you don’t have to stop and reload like there’s always another one in the chamber..
i know what your saying, but i have seen people accidentally kicked in tkd demos with spinning kicks and it isn't pretty. saw one person nearly get their nose ripped of with a reverse hook kick.

If about good, simple self defense classes without any secrets and with good sparring when some level achieved, then they also must be ceased?

Because even without any death points, if executed with good speed and from person in good physical condition, simplest variation of Hiza Geri, the simplest kick, can debilitate opponent till TKO or KO or just deliver on the ground.
Especially effective in clinch IF other obstacles allows to deliver.

In demos, yes, for example contactless TMA demo in class, hand spear to neck for example, delivered....Okey, with low level of physical force, so outcome without ER or morque.
Uppercuts also happens.

Back