Tae Kwon Do, Capoeira, Karate or Kung Fu?

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Which one of these old school arts is the best for modern MMA.

Tae Kwon Do - Notable practitioner Anthony Pettis, Anderson Silva, Marco Ruas you could say anyone who used a wheel kick has done some tae kwon. One of Mcgregors coaches at SBG is a tae kwon do guy.

Capoeira - Marco Ruas and some big KO’s on regional shows.

Karate - Notable practitioners GSP, Kikuno and Machida, Wonderboy, Michelle Waterson

Kung Fu - Roy Nelson, Cung Le

Last edited:
Karate, as long as its not the mcdojo variant.

Karate. Everyone else is more an exception to the rule. Most karate will get you fucked up in mma too but it can be modified with good fundamentals

Karate by a mile.

GSP, Wonderboy, Machida all have a Karate base.

Between those 4? (otherwise i would say muay thai), i assume karate.

for kung fu - you forgot Cung Le

however, fighters use a mix of techniques from all martial arts

Karate is the most historically successful compared to the others as a base.

GSP, Machida bros, Waterson, gunnar nelson, etc.

Karate and TKD. Capoeira and Kung Fu are more on the arts side of “martial arts” rather than actually trying to inflict as much damage to someone

TKD kicks mixed with Muay Thai defense can be deadly. Karate is the most solid foundation but TKD guys can be really special in MMA if they become well-rounded. Just look at Anderson Silva, his first martial art was taekwondo.

Non mcdojo karate or itf taekwondo never do the wtf taekwondo its pussy made

Marco Ruas was a TKD black belt and Capoeira "Mestre"

Thread needs Capoeira ko gif..

OgSu.gif

Karate. As explained in an indepth analysis by an 11 year old who knows more than you:

Karate or TKD, if you train properly. Leave out the katas, bricks, boards and any technique you can't perform inside a small closet (we used to say phone booth in the old days, but most kids wouldn't know that that was, lol) and spar against a live, resisting opponent.

If someone. Was holding a gun to my had i guess id train kyukushin karate or sanda who was created to defeat muay thai.stole pretty much everything and added sidekick spam and wrestling takedowns

Back