Tactics To Get More Inside (Reverse T-Position) As A Southpaw?

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Southpaw heavyweight with an average reach here (6'0" with a 72" reach), and love to actually get on the inside when up against orthodox guys. I personally just like the angles better. But looking for ways to do this more effectively when a bit further out of range. Taking a big step forward with my left as I throw an overhand left gets me to a nice range, but then my weight in on my right foot, so it's more difficult to then slip left and jump/pivot out from there to achieve the reverse t-position.

Just seeing what else I could possibly do to achieve this? I don't mind squaring up, and I don't mind switching stances -- provided I'm in range -- but I'd love to be able to better get to this position before having to square-up.

and love to actually get on the inside when up against orthodox guys.
putin-avoids-having-his-hand-kissed-animation.gif

Hey, laugh all you want, but when I try to kiss guys inside, suddenly, they put their hands up, and I can deliver some nasty shovel hooks. A nice tickling of the neck with my short beard can achieve the same.

Last edited:
Uh feint your way and use your jab inside. Maybe try to stay balanced instead of lunging with the left.
Maybe roll after the left hand if you’re going to do that. It doesn’t always have to be a slip + pivot mike Tyson type of thing. But it’s a good way to ensure that angle I guess

Honestly not a big fan of a lot of shifts. Tend to take a lot of energy imo. But I’m just an mma guy so my opinion might just be flat out wrong

Last edited:
when you mention a big step with your left foot while throwing an over handleft ... are you saying you step forward with your rear foot (southie) while throwing your over hand?
and then having your weight on you your right means you end up switched stances?

you vid showing what you are doing?

Southpaw heavyweight with an average reach here (6'0" with a 72" reach), and love to actually get on the inside when up against orthodox guys. I personally just like the angles better. But looking for ways to do this more effectively when a bit further out of range. Taking a big step forward with my left as I throw an overhand left gets me to a nice range, but then my weight in on my right foot, so it's more difficult to then slip left and jump/pivot out from there to achieve the reverse t-position.

Just seeing what else I could possibly do to achieve this? I don't mind squaring up, and I don't mind switching stances -- provided I'm in range -- but I'd love to be able to better get to this position before having to square-up.

Watch Ruslan Chagaev and Sultan Ibragimov bouts, both are great short southpaw HWs. And, ofc, Michael Moorer and Luis Ortiz are your men.

Watch Ruslan Chagaev and Sultan Ibragimov bouts, both are great short southpaw HWs. And, ofc, Michael Moorer and Luis Ortiz are your men.

First one is some great stuff. That said, got any fighters that like to try to get the reverse T-Position (slipping inside straights, and pivoting to square up)? Essentially, trying to force both fighters to square-up, or even, if you're somehow quick enough, catch the fighter in a southpaw stance if you can get way inside.

First one is some great stuff. That said, got any fighters that like to try to get the reverse T-Position (slipping inside straights, and pivoting to square up)? Essentially, trying to force both fighters to square-up, or even, if you're somehow quick enough, catch the fighter in a southpaw stance if you can get way inside.

Not so many good southy HWs, bruh.

Wonder why, hmm.

:D

Bill Goodman: "You see an awful lot of southpaw boxers today, which is just another indication of how upside down and backwards things have become. In fact, I never heard of a southpaw boxing another southpaw until recently. Years ago when a trainer saw that a beginner was left handed they wanted to convert him to fight right handed because nobody wanted to fight a southpaw. Who looks good fighting a southpaw? It was just too hard to get opponents as you were bringing the guy up. As soon as you mentioned southpaw they’d walk away.
But southpaws are rarely turned around today. Do you know why? It’s because the modern day trainers aren’t even aware they should be turned around. They don’t know. And there’s work to it. You cannot convert a guy from left to right overnight. It is not an easy thing to do. It’s a tedious process taking hours and hours of work. It’s like teaching a guy to slip and block. It’s not something a human being is going to pick up right away. But the trainers don’t have the knowledge. It doesn’t make any difference anymore. They get away with everything today".

for mma just clinch mang, then shoulder jab for extra love from your sparring partner

I have been trying to resolve this very question! curious to hear more suggestions on how to acquire the inside angle without getting hit by a cross in the process

Watch guys like Zab Judah and Lucian Andrade who were great at slipping straight rights. Both of them would usually then prefer to throw a left-hook to the liver (Bute) or left uppercut (Judah).

Landing a solid left hook to the body would probably keep your opponent in place long enough to make your move. So that would be a good thing to develop if you haven’t already. A few things both men did well to put themselves in position to slip the right hand was:

1. box with their rear hand low to give their opponent and Avenue to throw their straight.

2. circle towards their left hand (their opponents straight). This also makes it easier to get into the ‘reverse t position.’

3. They throw their straight left to the body, again, to try and get their opponent to come over the top with their right hand.

As an aside I’m sure guys like Loma, Whitaker, Hamed could achieve this position too. But those guys have/had inhumane footwork and athleticism.

Back